RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Nav: RX330 Nav vs. RX300 Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 02:05 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav: RX330 Nav vs. RX300 Nav?

How does the newer RX330 Nav compare to the RX300? Is the Nav basically the same as the 2003 RX300 Nav, or have there been some modifications? Like ease of use, speed, database etc.

Do you have to be stopped and in park to program the RX330 Nav?

Last edited by xsfo; 04-21-03 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 06:11 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: Nav: RX330 Nav vs. RX300 Nav?

Originally posted by xsfo
Do you have to be stopped and in park to program the RX330 Nav?
You have to be stopped, but don't have to be in park to program the 330 Nav.

John
Old 04-22-03, 10:59 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

J4 congrats on the new baby...I'm 7 mts into my second so I feel for you man...

We're about a week from getting our 330 so I was curious when you say you must be stopped to program - is that to program a new address? I didn't play too much with the system on test drives so I'm not sure but what about the touch screen function while driving - is that disabled when viewing a map?

I'm wondering what kind of pain it'll be to have to stop to enter an address every time my wife wants to make an unscheduled jaunt somewhere. I might end up going backwards!
Old 04-22-03, 12:20 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Lexus touchscreen nav has been that way since it came out - no programming or data entry while moving. that means you have to pull over if you think of something you want to enter at last moment's notice on the highway. you don't have to be in "p", but you do need to be at a complete stop. it's been a relatively good safety feature. i was frustrated at first, but to think of it now, i have not once tried to reach over and program while driving in the past 2 years - which is a good thing! i always pre-program before i leave the house/office. the good thing about the newest nav is that it allows up to 5 destinations in one "trip" so that you can go from point A to B to C to D to E by programming only once.

i do wish that they had programmed it so that if the car senses a passenger in the front (which it already can do because of the seat belt warning coming on when it senses weight in the passenger seat), it allows programming while driving. sames goes w/ the DVD - wish they could allow it when front passengers are present.

what happens is, the A-Z buttons and other "data entry" type buttons are "grayed out" and unable to be pressed when you are moving. they'll turn black again once you are stopped. you can, however, still look at some menu functions, as well as select home, previous destinations or 5 marked positions (all which you previously programmed and the nav memorized) when you are moving on the road.

the general nav functions and trip information are still accessible while driving. all by touchscreen. you can also just touch the map at any time and it will center on where you last touched it, kind of like a rolling map. that's come in handy a few times.

bottom line, you have to get in the habit of programming before you leave. other than that, the lexus nav is the best out there, and it looks the nicest too - more like active computer graphics, and less "atari-like" such as those in MB and BMW.
Old 04-22-03, 12:27 PM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure it'll just take a little getting used to...either that or i'll really tick people off at stop signs!
Old 04-22-03, 01:44 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by cfisher
J4 congrats on the new baby...I'm 7 mts into my second so I feel for you man...
Thanks. He seems to be calming down now. Hopefully he won't start back up with the all night crying sessions. Get your rest now! 2 kids is a completely different game...

We're about a week from getting our 330 so I was curious when you say you must be stopped to program - is that to program a new address? I didn't play too much with the system on test drives so I'm not sure but what about the touch screen function while driving - is that disabled when viewing a map?

I'm wondering what kind of pain it'll be to have to stop to enter an address every time my wife wants to make an unscheduled jaunt somewhere. I might end up going backwards!
Yes, you have to be stopped to program in an address. Most of the touch buttons grey out when you start moving (even if your in the middle of programming an address). The touch screen is still active when your moving - you can select POI's, Go "Home", change route, delete destination, detour - but you can't enter in a new destination.

It's a safely feature, but the passenger should be able to enter in the info. Just check the passenger seat sensor (already there for the airbag) and allow it to be changed if someone is there. I've had instances when I wanted to enter in a destination (or do a search) on the move. Kinda a pain to have to stop. Or you have to work real fast at a stop light.

John
Old 04-22-03, 08:13 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hello jdubs- Just curious? The pics. you posted looks alot like Bucks county PA. Newtown or Yardley to be exact. Where are you from? I thought I saw a new RX330 around the other day.Thanks

Paul
Old 04-23-03, 06:21 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by PAULGS430
Hello jdubs- Just curious? The pics. you posted looks alot like Bucks county PA. Newtown or Yardley to be exact. Where are you from? I thought I saw a new RX330 around the other day.Thanks
Yup. I live in Jamison, PA (Warwick Township, Bucks County). If you saw a Breakwater Blue 330, then it was probably me. I don't think Thompson Lexus has sold any other BW Blue's yet. In fact, I have yet to see another RX330 on the road. It's kinda weird.

I'll keep an eye out for a silver GS430 and wave.

John
Old 04-23-03, 06:26 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Hey - I'll be in Lansdale (if everything works out OK) sometime near June 3rd. So if you see a black 330 give a wave!
Old 04-23-03, 08:01 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by cfisher
Hey - I'll be in Lansdale (if everything works out OK) sometime near June 3rd. So if you see a black 330 give a wave!
Will do. Did you decide to go with the Black then? I remember you trying to decide between that or waiting for a Flint.

John
Old 04-24-03, 06:38 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by j4ydubs
Will do. Did you decide to go with the Black then? I remember you trying to decide between that or waiting for a Flint.

John
J4 - you reminded me of my decision and that made me think about clearcoating - so I started a new thread. We knew that we'd enjoy both the Flint and the Black. Since I still haven't seen a great picture of the Flint - or even one in person - and the Black was headed for us anyway - we stuck with the black. I would also mention that the decision was made with confidence b/c I've got a hand carwash place right across the parking lot from me - the guy picks the car up whenever I need it washed. Unfortunately, he told me last week that he's moving to KY! Figures.