RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Does the A/C need to be discharged to switch out the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 12:50 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does the A/C need to be discharged to switch out the radiator?

I need to pull the radiator out to replace. The manual states to discharge the A/C, but it also pulls the condenser and everything else out as part of a strip down. Does it actually need to be discharged or can the lines simply be unbolted and the radiator lifted out?
Old 02-21-16, 02:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

My understanding is Yes! So plan for it and if you figure out a way, please post.

Salim
Old 02-21-16, 04:43 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Well, there are only two ways to do it that I can think of: crack something open and let it seep out or take it someplace and have them discharge it with a machine.

I think taking the condenser out would make the job a lot easier, but I'm not sure it needs to come out. I'm hoping it will just take a few loose nuts/bolts to get it loose and I can leave everything connected in that system.

I will definitely report back and probably make up a tutorial at some time. If anyone has done this and can give any advice before start, please let me know.
Old 02-22-16, 05:53 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Everyone rejoice! Radiator can come out without pulling the condenser. Brace yourselves for a very poorly written, barely photographed tear-down and (hopefully) re-assembly.
Old 02-23-16, 06:27 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
Everyone rejoice! Radiator can come out without pulling the condenser. Brace yourselves for a very poorly written, barely photographed tear-down and (hopefully) re-assembly.
Great, glad to hear! I'm not a fan of messing around with A/C components, best to leave that to the professionals who have the right equipment. Looking forward to the DIY!
Old 02-23-16, 08:24 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Looking forward to your documentation. I hate having to recharge an A/C system just to work on other things. Hopefully you were able to loosen components enough to be able to slip out your radiator. Knock on wood, no issues yet with my original 150k+ mile radiator. There is a DIY youtube vid for radiator removal from a toyota sienna. Can you comment on any differences? The layout looks very similar, if not identical to our 1st gen RX's. .Here's a link to the vid.
Old 02-23-16, 08:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I did the radiator on my 1998 Toyota Sienna and it was a piece of cake, 15 minutes coming out & 15 minutes going back in. I think the setup is different than the RX, although admittedly I haven't looked at how the radiator is installed in the RX since it has a black cover on top which i haven't had the need to take off yet. I remember another CL member had to take the front bumper off on the RX to get to the radiator, perhaps that's because he also replaced the A/C condenser.
Old 02-23-16, 11:53 AM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Fastnoypi: It's a bit different because of the framing, which is what makes it difficult. Some tubes are a bit different, otherwise it looks very similar. I wish it was that much room in the RX.

Hypervish: Without actually removing the condenser, I can't say for certain, but based on visuals, I think you might be able to get it out without removing the bumper. It would be tight getting to the necessary bolts, but I hate taking parts off so I would probably try that first.