RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Looking for ideas. Throwing weird codes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 01:31 PM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for ideas. Throwing weird codes.

Here's my story. 2000 RX300 started to run rough and threw the check engine light on. This happened a couple of years ago, where I wound up replacing a few coil packs. Figured that's what it was, and since it would still drive, granted in some sort of limp mode, I drove the few miles home. Put the code reader on, and there were about nine, mostly misfire codes. So figured some codes caused other codes, so erased them. Went grocery shopping, and still ran rough, but no check engine light. Checked codes anyways, and am now getting P1150 (Manufactures Control Fuel/air metering) and P0172 (system too rich bank 1).

I also disconnected each coil pack on the easy front ones (2,4,6) while it was running, since the original nine codes thrown were misfires on 2 and 6, and could tell they were each working, to some degree.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Maybe an IACV cleaning?

Last edited by beachlover; 03-22-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 01:56 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

try replacing your bank2 o2 sensor.
Old 03-24-16, 03:32 AM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Thanks. However the code P0172 (too rich) keeps pointing at bank 2.

And I also subscribe to this statement by Sienna on another site .... "If a car doesn't run right, I would advise you get it scanned, rather than throw non-required parts at it. Automobile were made OBDII compliant for various reasons - one of which is ease of troubleshooting. Codes will be stored, and can be interrogated with suitable OBD code readers. Then the results can be analysed, and appropriate steps taken to correct the problem."

So I am still in the interrogating and analysing phase. Last set of codes were again P0172 and misfires on 2,4,6. I swapped out each of those coil packs with known working spares to no improvement. Also am noticing a gasoline smell when I open the hood. So keeping an open mind to a fuel injector issue. Still thinking IACV since it's a problem child with the RX. MAF will be cleaned along the way. Both fixes being cheap.

Last edited by beachlover; 03-24-16 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 03:47 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
What he said. You're not throwing parts at it. You need a new Bank 2 AF sensor. The other codes will go away once the new sensor is in.
Old 03-24-16, 06:48 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

IACV does not set of CEL.

Salim
Old 03-24-16, 08:32 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need to check the voltage reading on the a/f sensor B2sensor1. sensor could could be stuck rich. If you could have someone connect a scan tool and check the a/f sensor performance. Replace your B2S1. not expensive about 275. that should take care of it. Its a pity you couldnt identify the misfire cylinders.
Old 03-25-16, 03:42 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

It's a $100 part. The misfire code is caused by the faulty sensor. NEVER pull the harness on a coil when the car is running.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html
Old 02-28-20, 08:52 AM
HarleyLuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vcs ,trac off & check engine lights(ffs)

2001 Lexus RX300('Non-4WD') in Grey..-ish. Only had this curse....err, CAR a few months. Not a day goes by that something doesn't fall or break off, pop out, won't open, refuses to close, locks me out,THEN IN...a list too long and ridiculous to continue with but I will some day. (I'm 'expletive'-ing exhausted.)How's it act? Keanu Reeves bordering on Nick Cage. Here's a pic of its latest trick. Notice the mileage? Cute, right? Anyhow the lights are Nicolas Cage.
yes I did bring it to O'Reilly's to get the codes. Misfiring on something something something and a few other things that I did not understand and the kids said something about possibly the solenoid and some other thing and the timing belt and transmission and suspension and I don't know. He told me he'd no experience with a car like mine so he really didn't know. I'm not certain that anyone has ever had any experience with a car like mine. Anyway, it's not Keanu's flashy lights that bother me so much as his not coincidental horrible behavior. This car was, incidentally or not incidentally, a gift that I begged not to be given. I can't afford this can I?
Old 02-28-20, 09:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyLuck

2001 Lexus RX300('Non-4WD') in Grey..-ish. Only had this curse....err, CAR a few months. Not a day goes by that something doesn't fall or break off, pop out, won't open, refuses to close, locks me out,THEN IN...a list too long and ridiculous to continue with but I will some day. (I'm 'expletive'-ing exhausted.)How's it act? Keanu Reeves bordering on Nick Cage. Here's a pic of its latest trick. Notice the mileage? Cute, right? Anyhow the lights are Nicolas Cage.
yes I did bring it to O'Reilly's to get the codes. Misfiring on something something something and a few other things that I did not understand and the kids said something about possibly the solenoid and some other thing and the timing belt and transmission and suspension and I don't know. He told me he'd no experience with a car like mine so he really didn't know. I'm not certain that anyone has ever had any experience with a car like mine. Anyway, it's not Keanu's flashy lights that bother me so much as his not coincidental horrible behavior. This car was, incidentally or not incidentally, a gift that I begged not to be given. I can't afford this can I?
I am struggling with advice to give. I certainly dont want to offend you.
Choices are .. make serious effort to diagnose and fix the problems.
Make an unemotional analysis of cost of repairs and decide if it is worth fixing.
Life has lot more important things to offer and fixing something that you dont like is imho a waste.

Any shop you take it for free analysis should print out the codes for you. You can buy a code reader and check it yourself.
Some of the gremlins are due to bad/failing battery. Try disconnecting for 30 mins and charge up the battery overnight.

You need to decide, if you are in or out.

Salim
advice is always easy to give
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (03-02-20)