RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changing transmission fluid with high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 09:39 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hsmac
when you said i don't need any advice earlier, did you mean to not change the fluid in the differential as fastnoypi suggested? i'm unfamiliar with what the transfer case, differential and other related parts are and if they apply to both the AWD and FWD, but as long as i drain and fill, am i correct to assume that all the parts that use ATF share the same fluid and will automatically circulate?
found answer from different thread. so it sounds like i won't need a separate gear oil. awesome.

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Any good auto parts supplier has them. They are less than 20 on rockauto. IIRC, lexus stopped the metal filters mid-2002 production year.
are all the ones in the transmission filter section disposable? i see the filters but they don't specify disposable or not.
Old 04-03-16, 09:47 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

when you said i don't need any advice earlier, did you mean to not change the fluid in the differential as fastnoypi suggested? i'm unfamiliar with what the transfer case, differential and other related parts are and if they apply to both the AWD and FWD, but as long as i drain and fill, am i correct to assume that all the parts that use ATF share the same fluid and will automatically circulate?
This applies to folks who would do a flush with transmission pump. If some one is capable to do this, they are competent enough and would not be needing advice on the net.

Salim
Old 04-03-16, 10:04 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

found answer from different thread. so it sounds like i won't need a separate gear oil. awesome.are all the ones in the transmission filter section disposable? i see the filters but they don't specify disposable or not.
As cheap as they are, they are disposable. Plastic shell with paper filter element.
Old 04-04-16, 01:18 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
This applies to folks who would do a flush with transmission pump. If some one is capable to do this, they are competent enough and would not be needing advice on the net.

Salim
As cheap as they are, they are disposable. Plastic shell with paper filter element.
thanks guys.

i bought a case of toyota iv yesterday but am now thinking about synthetic. what do you guys think and would it help extend the life of the transmission? and what's up with this amsoil fluid i keep hearing about... i can't find it online anywhere except maybe their own website.
Old 04-04-16, 06:36 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

thanks guys.

i bought a case of toyota iv yesterday but am now thinking about synthetic. what do you guys think and would it help extend the life of the transmission? and what's up with this amsoil fluid i keep hearing about... i can't find it online anywhere except maybe their own website.
FWIW, i'm using Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic now in my RX300. Per the information sheet it meets Toyota/Lexus Type- T, T- III, Type-IV and WS standards and has seal conditioners for transmissions over 75k miles Can't beat the $18/gallon price at Walmart to allow frequent drain and fills or as needed.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
Old 04-04-16, 06:49 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

A common belief on BITOG regarding this is that; if your transmission fails after a drain and fill, it was already on it's way out. Personally, I believe a drain and fill with new fluid is the best route to take.
Old 04-04-16, 08:21 AM
ls3some
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Different transmissions model than your RX but I've done a Drain and fill using valvoline maxlife atf on my Gx470 (aka 4runner V8) and LS430. Those are factory filled with Toyota WS and Type IV. The valvoline is synthetic and is compatible with many vehicles including toyota brand (AISIN built transmissions). I actually did not drop the pan or change the filter but that would be ideal. I simply drained and filled the transmission pan about 2 quarts the first time then removed the transmission cooler return hose from the lower radiator and drain the remaining atf through it a few quarts at a time using this method, both vehicles had 140K miles on original ATF fluid and filters:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars.../a105/1272521/
Its a fairly popular way to do it on the 4runner forum . I did not change the transmission filter but that would probably be the best possible way to do this. The LS and GX/4runner/FJ/landcruiser/tacoma transmissions are known for their longevity and many make it to 200k+ miles on original atf fluids/filters. I don't think the RX transmissions are as sturdy since they are car based so I would probably drop the pan in your case for piece of mind. FYI you can buy the maxlife atf at walmart or ship it to your house on amazon for 18$ a gallon. I would also drain and fill your Power steering system using this product you will be amazed at the difference (toyota uses dextron III in their PS systems)

Last edited by ls3some; 04-04-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 02:57 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

FWIW, i'm using Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic now in my RX300. Per the information sheet it meets Toyota/Lexus Type- T, T- III, Type-IV and WS standards and has seal conditioners for transmissions over 75k miles Can't beat the $18/gallon price at Walmart to allow frequent drain and fills or as needed.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
wow this stuff is cheaper than oem toyota.

Originally Posted by hypervish
A common belief on BITOG regarding this is that; if your transmission fails after a drain and fill, it was already on it's way out. Personally, I believe a drain and fill with new fluid is the best route to take.
possibly, but if you could get, for example, an extra 20-50k more out of it without touching the fluid, no one would change it!
Old 04-05-16, 05:50 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

so it seems like the debate for toyota iv vs. anything else still goes around in circles so let me ask more constructive questions:

- will synthetic fluid be better than conventional?
- will conditioners be useful or do transmissions not have leaking problems in general?
- will an expensive synthetic like amsoil offer advantages over a cheaper, but reputable alternative if do normal driving?

i think i'm currently deciding between oem toyota and valvoline maxlife. if a synthetic offers better protection and helps extend the life of the transmission, or requires less frequent changes, that's another reason for me to choose the maxlife or other synthetic. i also notice only the maxlife contains conditioners versus other synthetics but am not sure how important that is.
Old 04-05-16, 09:13 PM
salimshah

hsmac:

Transmission failures have not been correlated to fluid types. There is no smoking gun .. although the part that is mentioned that fails is the plenary gear system (why is unanswered).

Which fluid is better? performance/price.

My understanding is that Toyota's recommend fluid is synthetic. Please correct me if I am wrong.

At the end, do what would make you feel comfortable. The transmission fluid is not exposed to contaminates and combustion byproducts and needs to be refreshed as opposed to be replaced. It does go through stress and gets heated up as it absorbs the energy [clutch action] and the torque converter locks up at cruising speeds [fluid is not provide coupling all the time]

Salim
Old 04-06-16, 12:26 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

hsmac:

Transmission failures have not been correlated to fluid types. There is no smoking gun .. although the part that is mentioned that fails is the plenary gear system (why is unanswered).

My understanding is that Toyota's recommend fluid is synthetic. Please correct me if I am wrong.

At the end, do what would make you feel comfortable. The transmission fluid is not exposed to contaminates and combustion byproducts and needs to be refreshed as opposed to be replaced. It does go through stress and gets heated up as it absorbs the energy [clutch action] and the torque converter locks up at cruising speeds [fluid is not provide coupling all the time]

Salim
that's what i want to know: are there any benefits in performance from using synthetic under normal application? some people also think T-IV needs to be changed sooner -- i'd like to hear what people think about that.
Old 04-06-16, 05:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

hsmac:

Salim
The planetary gear set was believed to be under-designed, initially being in an aluminum carrier with only 4 gears; while some rebuild kits offer a 6 gear steel carrier. There are a ton of youtube videos with RX300 transmissions torn apart which show this failure.

I believe there are other factors at play as well. Such as driver habits, ECU programming, upgraded transmissions with a smaller transmission pump then overheating fluid as a result, etc. But, won't get into those here, think we've discussed and beat this topic to death in the past.

Toyota's recommended T-IV fluid is not a synthetic, it is a conventional fluid.
Old 04-06-16, 05:49 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

that's what i want to know: are there any benefits in performance from using synthetic under normal application? some people also think T-IV needs to be changed sooner -- i'd like to hear what people think about that.
under normal driving there would be virtually little or no vehicle performance benefit. The benefit of using a synthetic is in the ability to prevent viscosity breakdown.

In LS3some's post and to my observations in toyota truck forums where their factory fill is T-IV, T-IV breaks down alot sooner and Maxlife performs better as far as longevity and in more demanding situations that a normal commuter car would not typically endure.

T-IV is obviously factory approved and may not break down under normal driving if you do the 30k drain and fills.
There is a large community that uses MaxLife synthetic with great results too while being cheaper per quart with possibly longer change intervals possible. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 04-06-16, 07:05 AM
salimshah

... snip

Thank you for adding to my knowledge.

Salim
Old 04-07-16, 01:09 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

The planetary gear set was believed to be under-designed, initially being in an aluminum carrier with only 4 gears; while some rebuild kits offer a 6 gear steel carrier. There are a ton of youtube videos with RX300 transmissions torn apart which show this failure.

I believe there are other factors at play as well. Such as driver habits, ECU programming, upgraded transmissions with a smaller transmission pump then overheating fluid as a result, etc. But, won't get into those here, think we've discussed and beat this topic to death in the past.

under normal driving there would be virtually little or no vehicle performance benefit. The benefit of using a synthetic is in the ability to prevent viscosity breakdown.

In LS3some's post and to my observations in toyota truck forums where their factory fill is T-IV, T-IV breaks down alot sooner and Maxlife performs better as far as longevity and in more demanding situations that a normal commuter car would not typically endure.

T-IV is obviously factory approved and may not break down under normal driving if you do the 30k drain and fills.
There is a large community that uses MaxLife synthetic with great results too while being cheaper per quart with possibly longer change intervals possible. You can't go wrong with either.
thanks for the great info, guys. i decided to use the t-iv i got (at least for now) -- i figure since it hasn't been changed at all i'd minimize any risk of problems occurring by introducing a different fluid. lexus advisor i spoke with today said he wouldn't even recommend the drain/fill service due to the potential problems, but i realize if i want to get the most out of the vehicle i'll have to take the risk. crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply: Changing transmission fluid with high mileage