RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

bolt snapped in hole... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 06:08 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
I thought 10.9 grade was the highest grade for metric (similar to grade 8 SAE) used for high torque applications, like suspension parts. I thought the inch-pound bolts were around 8 or less (metric, not SAE grade). Am I wrong on this?
4.6, 4.8 and 5.8 are available as well that are available in the size range. They are typically low carbon steel which i dont think are used in auto applications. Don't hold me to it though, they probably work for this low 7.4Nm application (grade 5.8).

12.9 is the highest metric grade that i am aware of, made of alloy steel.

I think you were thinking of grade 8.8 but it doesnt come in less than M16. Grade 8 is a SAE standard.
Old 04-10-16, 09:17 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Thaeleelyr..those grading markings you posted are for standard bolts often used in construction. You won't find them on metric fasteners.
Old 04-10-16, 10:34 AM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Thaeleelyr..those grading markings you posted are for standard bolts often used in construction. You won't find them on metric fasteners.
I pulled that out of a service specification sheet for the RX300. I think they are for metric on this vehicle. They are similar but not quite the same as the standard SAE markings. I understand the SAE grade 8 has 6 lines emanating from the hex corners to the center. The grade 8 on this chart is 4 ovals. This could be a bad sheet but so far the torque specs listed below these two charts have matched up with other sources for the RX300. Or maybe the SAE markings changed and I'm not up to speed?

My understanding of the SAE grades compared to Metric are (roughly):
SAE 8 = Metric 10
SAE 6 = Metric 8

The largest bolts I've seen on my RX have been grade 10 metric ('10' stamped on the end, presuming the chart is correct) - those being suspension related. Caliper bracket bolts are marked '8', sway bar bushing bracket bolts have no marks, which, if the chart is correct, puts them at grade 4 - a low enough grade to find at the local hardware store (mine regularly carries SAE grades 6 & 8). I also recall there being no marks on the transmission pan bolts, but my memory is pretty bad.

I was hoping you weren't saying he needed a grade 8 or 10 for such a light application because I've replaced a number of these grade 4 bolts with slightly higher grades from the hardware store but nothing near the metric grade 10 line.
Old 04-10-16, 12:46 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

I pulled that out of a service specification sheet for the RX300. I think they are for metric on this vehicle. They are similar but not quite the same as the standard SAE markings. I understand the SAE grade 8 has 6 lines emanating from the hex corners to the center. The grade 8 on this chart is 4 ovals. This could be a bad sheet but so far the torque specs listed below these two charts have matched up with other sources for the RX300. Or maybe the SAE markings changed and I'm not up to speed?

My understanding of the SAE grades compared to Metric are (roughly):
SAE 8 = Metric 10
SAE 6 = Metric 8

The largest bolts I've seen on my RX have been grade 10 metric ('10' stamped on the end, presuming the chart is correct) - those being suspension related. Caliper bracket bolts are marked '8', sway bar bushing bracket bolts have no marks, which, if the chart is correct, puts them at grade 4 - a low enough grade to find at the local hardware store (mine regularly carries SAE grades 6 & 8). I also recall there being no marks on the transmission pan bolts, but my memory is pretty bad.

I was hoping you weren't saying he needed a grade 8 or 10 for such a light application because I've replaced a number of these grade 4 bolts with slightly higher grades from the hardware store but nothing near the metric grade 10 line.
SAE and Metric markings and specifications are different but they try to explain the property differences. European and Asian cars all use metric.

Here is basic chart, not all grades represented, that demonstrate the differences between SAE and Metric stampings https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

i'm not saying he needs a grade 8 or 10 bolt specifically but it is my assumption the automotive grade will probably be 9.8 or 10.9 metric grade.
Old 04-10-16, 05:09 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iirc they are 10mm heads with 8mm x 1.25 thread. Since its a light torque spec the grade will probably be 9.8 or 10.9 grade. Dealer parts counter should definitely have them. A local auto parts store should have them in the HELP! parts section or you can take a good pan bolt to an ace hardware if you are in a pinch to match up.
Originally Posted by salimshah
For the snapped bolt, the issue is where to grab it. Front (pan side) you may not have enough shaft left. Try the back side and with pliers see if you can grab it with needle nose pliers. If the front is flat (will be able to go through the threads) then you need to ensure there is enough clearance in the back to pull it through and then twist is through. Determine this before you use the priers to damage the threads at the tip. If not then you have to use the tip (extended back) to back out the bolt from the front. If you do back out then quickly switch to the front as soon as you have enough length sticking out to grab. (preserve threads in the tip as they have to make their way through).

Once you past that hurdle, you will have to determine if the threads on the rest of the bolts are good. Back off each bolt and see if the threads are good and you can torque them to spec. For damages thread in bolt you need to get new bolts and for damaged threads in the holes, you will need to tap to the next size. Best would be get a new bolt to test out the threads in the hole and if you can torque a new bolt to spec, you are good.

If you have more than a few holes to tap then I suggest tap all as this will prevent future problems (which bolt goes with which holes).

To test, just take your current bolt to hardware or auto shop. Assuming your hole threads are good and the bolts are messed up, just buy them from the dealer.

For new I would suggest stainless (or consult auto parts). Make sure you get a matching tap. You can switch to non-metric but I would suggest stay with metric and try to use the same pitch of threads but go a mm size bigger. The application has more to do with rust than anything else, so the strength discussion is purely academic

The gasket will need to be replaced as overtorquing can cause leaks. Overtorquing can also mess-up the pan at the bolt points. If the dimples have been formed then they have to be flattened and pushed back. Use a ruler edge to see if the bolt holes have been pushed in. Hold the metal edge ruler on the the side and use a light source in the back.

Final word is that the level of fluid is higher than the joint. So dont try to slap things together.

Salim
i was thinking i just broke a bolt and now the whole pan could be potentially damaged

hsmac: I found a schematic that shows how to determine bolt strength based on the markings on the head of the bolt but I can't get it to attach to the post. I'll see if I can PM it to you but if that doesn't work I can e-mail it.

Sometimes I have been able to progressively drill a sheared bolt until I can snap it with pliers and I'm able to remove the post without damage to the threads. Maybe you'll get lucky.
yes i did notice yesterday that the bolt had markings on the head and just confirmed it's the #7 with the 3 marks and dot.

i'm going to try to get the sheared piece out now but wanted to first thank everyone for their help. you guys really went the extra mile and have done so in my other posts as well. it's possible my car wouldn't be running right now if it weren't for you guys. i just really want to express my appreciation and hope i can return the favor in the future in one way or another.
Old 04-10-16, 07:08 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
yes i did notice yesterday that the bolt had markings on the head and just confirmed it's the #7 with the 3 marks and dot.

i'm going to try to get the sheared piece out now but wanted to first thank everyone for their help. you guys really went the extra mile and have done so in my other posts as well. it's possible my car wouldn't be running right now if it weren't for you guys. i just really want to express my appreciation and hope i can return the favor in the future in one way or another.
I've used that chart enough times that I trust it. A metric grade 7 is roughly similar to SAE grade 5-6. From what I've read, the large national chain stores (Lowe's, etc) tend to carry grade 6 and larger in SAE, so their metric will be comparable in quality. I think you'll be fine checking there. The bolt will be a fraction of the price of that from the dealer and you won't have to wait to get them in. The only negative is that it won't have that black coating that helps prevent rust. Of course, you could always stop at an auto store and see if they have one there but I've never had much luck where I live (Ford country)

I did read two things recently about stainless steel fasteners that have given me pause: (1) there is a chemical reaction between iron and stainless that causes it's own type of corrosion around the bolt. I can confirm this has happened to some of the bolts I replaced with stainless. Whether it is truly a chemical reaction with iron or caused by some other reason i don't know, but it still happened (2) Stainless steel is not as strong as regular steel because it isn't heat tempered. Many SS hardware is around SAE grade 2. Most vehicle grade bolts are SAE 6 and above, so it's obviously not good as a replacement.

SS is also susceptible to galling. Since the bolts I replaced with SS were in low torque areas (plastic dust shields) I'm not too worried, but I may be replacing them later.
Old 04-10-16, 07:48 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

believe it or not... i just got the bolt out.

i still thought i'd have the best luck gluing the old piece back since there would be additional grip from the ridges of each surface that fit together. no luck with super or epoxy glue. just when i'd given up hope and was about to take a cobalt bit and extractor to it, i thought i'd try tapping it out with a chisel and hammer, or in my case flathead and hammer. tapped several times and no luck. thought it moved but actually did not. then one nice angled stroke and it saw it turn 180 degrees. i couldn't believe it but at that point knew it was only a matter of time after that. half an hour later, and my left hand shaking and wobbling, got enough out where i used pliers to back out the rest. scratched up around the hole ever so slightly (probably should've put some tape around that area to protect it) but i'm pretty sure they're so tiny they won't pose any issues. considering that the bolt turned loosely enough for me to tap it out, i probably could've used extractor, but i'm glad i didn't have to resort to that since I've never used them before and i didn't know how i'd tap a hole in the center of the bolt. the threads on all the holes seem ok -- for some reason some are tighter than others using fingers but went in pretty smoothly with ratchet.
Old 04-10-16, 07:59 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah

Once you past that hurdle, you will have to determine if the threads on the rest of the bolts are good. Back off each bolt and see if the threads are good and you can torque them to spec. For damages thread in bolt you need to get new bolts and for damaged threads in the holes, you will need to tap to the next size. Best would be get a new bolt to test out the threads in the hole and if you can torque a new bolt to spec, you are good.

Salim
how to tell if threads are damaged in the holes or is it just a wait and see if i'm able to torque them to spec with the pan on? some are tighter than others but i'm pretty sure it was that way before. some bolts wouldn't go in much using my fingers but with a ratchet went in easily without pressure so i would assume they're ok.

I've used that chart enough times that I trust it. A metric grade 7 is roughly similar to SAE grade 5-6. From what I've read, the large national chain stores (Lowe's, etc) tend to carry grade 6 and larger in SAE, so their metric will be comparable in quality. I think you'll be fine checking there. The bolt will be a fraction of the price of that from the dealer and you won't have to wait to get them in. The only negative is that it won't have that black coating that helps prevent rust. Of course, you could always stop at an auto store and see if they have one there but I've never had much luck where I live (Ford country)

I did read two things recently about stainless steel fasteners that have given me pause: (1) there is a chemical reaction between iron and stainless that causes it's own type of corrosion around the bolt. I can confirm this has happened to some of the bolts I replaced with stainless. Whether it is truly a chemical reaction with iron or caused by some other reason i don't know, but it still happened (2) Stainless steel is not as strong as regular steel because it isn't heat tempered. Many SS hardware is around SAE grade 2. Most vehicle grade bolts are SAE 6 and above, so it's obviously not good as a replacement.

SS is also susceptible to galling. Since the bolts I replaced with SS were in low torque areas (plastic dust shields) I'm not too worried, but I may be replacing them later.
i think i'll check auto parts store to see if they have something compatible. i think dealer needs to order anyway. i was going to get some at home depot yesterday (M6 1.0 was the metric size) but the guy said he thinks they're not for use in vehicles and the washers looked different. so i got some longer bolts instead that i was going to use to try to push the stuck bolt out, but ended up not doing/not needing to.
Old 04-10-16, 08:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

i was thinking i just broke a bolt and now the whole pan could be potentially damaged
... snip
New bolts + gasket purchase are the easiest part .. the Pan holes dimpled is easy fix. Getting the broken bolt out may need some work. I am really concerned about internal threads damage. If those are messed up you have tap them. Hopefully not.

Salim
ps: I tried to explain how to test in my long winded note. Buy a fresh bolt (without the pan) and try torquing it to spec. Put enough washers to get the right length in the hole.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-10-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:48 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

i did get the bolt out see post above.

seemed like the threads are ok but i'll try torquing them down. hope i won't have to tap as it will take some time to buy materials and learn how to do it. that and the fact that i broke it.
Old 04-10-16, 09:55 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 96 Posts

well..

just as i was going to warn people of how difficult/tedious it is to remove the tranny pan and put it all back given the number of bolts and limited space, one of the bolts snapped as i was torquing it down. i'm not sure what happened, but the bolt snapped near the head where the threads begin, so the majority of the screw is in the hole. thought i would try to put some super glue and try to attach the pieces but it's not catching, and neither is another bolt i removed to try to use.

no idea what to do right now. obviously can't drive the car now and the screw is pretty thin making it more difficult. already pretty frustrated from the job itself and now i have perhaps a huge problem. trying to stay positive hopefully someone can help me out with this predicament.
Since the pan bolts are not torqued down too much(maybe 30ft/lbs), you can just use a drill and drill a small hole into the piece of the bolt still stuck in the pan and use a small screw/screw driver to turn the rest of the bolt out of the pan.

FYI, you will have to turn the screw to the left.
Old 04-11-16, 05:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

i did get the bolt out see post above.

seemed like the threads are ok but i'll try torquing them down. hope i won't have to tap as it will take some time to buy materials and learn how to do it. that and the fact that i broke it.
you will notice thread damage on the bolt you torque down if the hole threads are messed up after you back it out.. Do not use a tap but rather a thread chaser. They look very similar but the chaser will not cut up damaged threads, rather than persuade them. Accidently cutting new threads may weaken the clamping ability of bolts you use in the hole, unless you plan to go to a larger size. Good luck!
Old 04-12-16, 03:35 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

you will notice thread damage on the bolt you torque down if the hole threads are messed up after you back it out.. Do not use a tap but rather a thread chaser. They look very similar but the chaser will not cut up damaged threads, rather than persuade them. Accidently cutting new threads may weaken the clamping ability of bolts you use in the hole, unless you plan to go to a larger size. Good luck!
i was impressed when the lady at home depot recognized the bolt as a grade 7 by the markings on the head. the bolts there did not indicate grade but had the class listed on the packaging. she thought they were probably a grade 2 but i later saw a sign saying the class 8.8 bolts were comparable, not equivalent, to grade 5.

not sure if i'm going to install the home depot one first as i need to order from toyota dealer.

Last edited by hsmac; 04-12-16 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 01:34 PM
Derrick71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was impressed when the lady at home depot recognized the bolt as a grade 7 by the markings on the head. the bolts there did not indicate grade but had the class listed on the packaging. she thought they were probably a grade 2 but i later saw a sign saying the class 8.8 bolts were comparable, not equivalent, to grade 5.

not sure if i'm going to install the home depot one first as i need to order from toyota dealer.
If you have a U-Pull it style junkyard in your area you can go get all the bolts you want. Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all use the same sized bolts for most of the 10mm fasteners on their cars. Just bring one of the originals with you to be sure.

If you haven't been to a U-pull it yard it's easy. Just pay a dollar or two to walk in. Find the car that has the parts you want and pull them off. The parts are super cheap and you can also get things the regular salvage yards (or even the dealer) won't mess with like fasteners or pieces of wiring harnesses. They usually don't even worry about nuts and bolts. It's like having a yard full of parts cars. Just make sure you bring your own tools.
Old 04-14-16, 09:33 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Derrick71
If you have a U-Pull it style junkyard in your area you can go get all the bolts you want. Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all use the same sized bolts for most of the 10mm fasteners on their cars. Just bring one of the originals with you to be sure.

If you haven't been to a U-pull it yard it's easy. Just pay a dollar or two to walk in. Find the car that has the parts you want and pull them off. The parts are super cheap and you can also get things the regular salvage yards (or even the dealer) won't mess with like fasteners or pieces of wiring harnesses. They usually don't even worry about nuts and bolts. It's like having a yard full of parts cars. Just make sure you bring your own tools.
nice to know for the future sounds like a cool place if i can find one around here. i got the bolt off though, if i can only figure out how to read the fluid level on the tranny dipstick...