RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New Cambridge Ontario Plant - Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 06:30 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Cambridge Ontario Plant - Wow!

An article from the Toronto Star:

Wow!

Last edited by Daddy-O; 04-29-03 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-29-03, 08:29 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that a Japanese version was going to be of better quality, but after reading this article, maybe the Canadians could provide as much or greater attention to detail than a Japan made vehicle.
Old 04-29-03, 03:46 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Wouldn't you get a better paint job with a Japanese made RX?

Aren't the Japanese allowed to use a more enviromentally unfriendly paint process that results in a more durable paint finish? I'm sure the Canadian paint process has to be more enviromentally friendly but results in a less durable paint finish.

Last edited by xsfo; 04-29-03 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 03:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by xsfo

Aren't the Japanese allowed to use a more enviromentally unfriendly paint process that results in a more durable paint finish? I'm sure the Canadian paint process has to be more enviromentally friendly but results in a less durable paint finish.
That's funny...I think the Lexus factory paint job is pretty weak. My GS has more paint chips than any other car I've owned (as have may other GS owners).
Old 04-29-03, 04:13 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Bottom line is that "Made in Japan" carries with it connotations of quality workmanship that were earned over generations of experience.

Lexus can train Canadian workers till their faces turn blue, but the fact is, they will still be learning how to do things right "on the job". They'll be making mistakes for at least two years before maturing to a level comprable to what the Japanese are producing now.

You're right on the money regarding the paint though. The paint on my RX bumper flakes off like dandruff
Old 04-29-03, 04:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by xsfo
Apparently paint is a non-issue, as "Last year, the plant produced 218,011 Corolla, Matrix and Solara models."

Do Corolla, Matrix and Solara models have paint issues?
Old 04-29-03, 04:42 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

I'm not asking about "paint issues" or defects.

I'm asking if the Japanese plant uses a different paint process from the Canadian plant.
Oil based vs. water based paint or however you describe the paint processes these days.

Also if the two use different processes, is one paint job more durable than the other.
NOT if one is prone to chipping. I'm comparing paint job to paint job. Like asking which gas
has more desirable additives, Chevron or Shell etc.
Old 04-29-03, 04:52 PM
LexFather

Well, we'll see. The Acura TL/CL is built in Ohio in the Accord plant and these cars are in dire need of quality control for a luxury vehicle. Accord, Camrys and Altimas have been built in the U.S for years and are some of the most popular and most reliable vehicles.

I can't see Lexus building cars in N.A. risking thier major advantage over the competition, reliability and customer satisfaction. I think it will be okay.
Old 04-29-03, 05:04 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree - i'm sure toyota didn't go out and spend $650 million (CAD or USD) on anything until they did extensive feasibility and quality studies.

sure there might be a few blips and bobbles for the first few months, but i don't think they will just pull out of Canada at the first sign of slippage. they'll probably invest more and more there, and consider building other models there in the future.

i think we should set up a group tour. i want to see this shiny factory w/ my own eyes!
Old 04-29-03, 05:05 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I still believe paint will be a non-issue, and as I posted in February, I believe Lexus will take the proper steps to ensure that production will remain up to their standards. Lexus is not going to lose their #1 status in the industry by allowing their #1 selling model to lapse in quality.
Old 04-29-03, 09:02 PM
Jedi
Driver School Candidate

It might not be the paint ya have to worry about.....after all, it is a first year model.......and guess whom they have elected to test their product? ---------------> You and I