RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Reluctor ring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 02:13 PM
Murphydurf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reluctor ring question

Has anyone actually installed a new reluctor ring on a rear shaft? It appears to me that due to the configuration if the lip on the end, that the ring is not able to be put on unless machine removal of this lip....or some other process. The old broken ring is easily removed....but stuck on how to replace....
Old 04-27-16, 03:03 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

First .. I dont qualify to answer your question ,,, since I have not done that repair.

Have you cleaned the axle and examined the lip? Is it the epoxy? If so it must be chipped off.

Have you measure the OD (at least three places) of the enlarged portion of shaft.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-27-16 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 04:33 PM
Murphydurf
Driver School Candidate

This is the axle shaft on the pre 6/2000....the ring sits between 2 raised lips..hence the delimma of how do you get it over the outer lip...I have seen other model vehicle videos of the ring being pressed on, or heated and to let cool into a tight fit. I'm stuck...
Old 04-27-16, 04:44 PM
Murphydurf
Driver School Candidate

This photo shows the broken reluctor ring on the assembly.....note the lip on the outer (right) side.
Reluctor ring question-image_7a1a847a2b711f16e361b8eb897d887378201726.jpeg
Old 04-27-16, 05:20 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Maybe? http://www.reluctorrings.com/fitting/tool
Old 04-27-16, 05:43 PM
Murphydurf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks car guy....but I need to get the ring over that lip and into the groove area....some kind of crazy engineering hey?
Old 04-27-16, 06:34 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Murphydurf
This is the axle shaft on the pre 6/2000....the ring sits between 2 raised lips..hence the delimma of how do you get it over the outer lip...I have seen other model vehicle videos of the ring being pressed on, or heated and to let cool into a tight fit. I'm stuck...
Heat and magnets dont go together. The heat makes the molecular bond weak and the alignment of molecular structure that gives magnetic property gets disturbed.

The lip you mention is "No. 2 Dust Deflector". It needs to be removed with screw driver and hammer. Go even to tap it off. If you damage it, maybe you can reshape it. Else it might need to be replaced. You can device a puller if the tone ring is broken off.

Getting a replacement axle may not be a bad idea at this time.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-27-16 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 06:49 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone actually installed a new reluctor ring on a rear shaft? It appears to me that due to the configuration if the lip on the end, that the ring is not able to be put on unless machine removal of this lip....or some other process. The old broken ring is easily removed....but stuck on how to replace....
Well, not successfully replaced yet. Have you purchased the new ring yet?

I can tell you that the new ones come with 3 parts. Look in the "ABS, rear axle, no speedometer" thread for a photo. I tried to hammer the new stuff on and ended up deforming the "outer" ring. Now I need to get another new ring. <content added here in edit> The "lip" is formed by one of those 3 rings. I had no trouble getting all 3 things off the old axle, just a hammer and punch. It makes a lot more sense when you can look at the new ring set. My ring set was purchased from RockAuto.<end edit>

I guess some people are heating up the new rings (and possibly freezing the axle). I do not have an oxy-acetylene set, and am not sure if a MAPP torch would get it hot enough to help. Plus putting axle in our freezer would not sit well with DW.

I was hoping to find a used axle with a decent ring. But I think that is unlikely at this point. I suspect the rings are all broken or near breaking after 15 years.

The independent mechanic that usually bails me out is at a bowling tournament in Vegas this week. So may be a few days before I know more.

BTW what part of Illinois are you? I am near Springfield.

Last edited by Pzindy; 04-27-16 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 07:10 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Heat and magnets dont go together. The heat makes the molecular bond weak and the alignment of molecular structure that gives magnetic property gets disturbed.
The magnetic part is out of the equation. Its the abs sensor.
Old 04-27-16, 08:00 PM
Murphydurf
Driver School Candidate

Purchased new reluctor ring from company in England. $15. (Same co. that has a video showing them being heated at installation...check on YouTube) it appears that there will be irreparable damage to deform that lip on the outside of the ring placement. The broken riing was easy to remove with a screwdriver.

I await further advice if any is out there...and appreciated....

In Blm-Nrml....
Old 04-27-16, 09:05 PM
salimshah

Purchased new reluctor ring from company in England. $15. (Same co. that has a video showing them being heated at installation...check on YouTube) it appears that there will be irreparable damage to deform that lip on the outside of the ring placement. The broken riing was easy to remove with a screwdriver.

I await further advice if any is out there...and appreciated....

In Blm-Nrml....
Murphy .. get hold of the service manual, [dust protector] My comments are from there.
Also check out pzindy's picture of fresh tone ring ,,, there are 2 other rings .. look like the dust protectors ... Did your purchase come with those?

Please measure both the old and the new.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-27-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 07:19 AM
Murphydurf
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Salim and Pzindy...I think I have an understanding of what needs to be done...(need to order 3 piece set...check service manual) Photos helped! I will be back at some point in future with results!
Old 04-28-16, 07:36 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

i haven't done this repair on my RX but i've done it on a subaru, it should be the same process. I pressed the rings in with a piece of pvc pipe, a 2x4 and a rubber mallet. Clean all surfaces after removing the old rings and lube with something light like atf. Clean up with brake cleaner.
Dorman branded sets run around $20-25
Old 05-22-16, 04:49 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

I am still struggling with this. With a new ring, is some type of adhesive sill needed to keep the ring from rotating around the axle?

I fabricated a tool from PVC pipe to help, I can get the inner ring (aka dust protector #1) on the axle solidly, but the toothed ring still rotates around the axle, and getting the outer ring (dust protector #2) on has been much more challenging.

I fabricated a tool from 3" PVC pipe and an end cap, but still am challenged.

I have some photos. But is there a thread somewhere with the suggested size and method to post photos?

Thank You
Old 05-22-16, 05:00 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

This was made from a length of 3" PVC pipe about 3 1/2" long. Then a PVC end cap. I drilled a hole through the end cap just large enough for the threaded part of the axle.

First photo is side view of pipe, 2nd is the end cap. The 3rd photo is of the other end, note that there is a dust protector stuck in it...more about that in following post.
Attached Thumbnails Reluctor ring question-side-view-pipe.jpg   Reluctor ring question-end-cap.jpg   Reluctor ring question-3-4-view-pipe.jpg  

Last edited by Pzindy; 05-22-16 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Reluctor ring question