RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Got the car! Few impressions and questions about codes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 06:12 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the car! Few impressions and questions about codes.

We are now proud owners of 2002 RX300 VSC. Car has 212000 miles on it but has been taken care of well.

Car drives great, amazing how stable it is on highway. Seats are ....dare I say, best I've ever sat in? I was able to get out there and detail the inside. Applies McQuiare leather conditioner and McQuiare plastic cleaner. She looks like new.

I have a couple of questions for you guys related to some of the issues I have. Need some confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Problem 1:
We have a P1155 code and VSC light on. From the research I've done this is O2 sensor code, Pre Cat up front (by the radiator). Looks pretty easy to get to. From what I read I will need to get Denso 234-9009.
Amazon.com: Denso 234-9009 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 234-9009 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

My only concern is that previous owner said mechanic told them to replace part of the exhaust (they weren't specific), I'm guessing they meant Cat. So I'm wondering if I should actually replace the O2 sensor or just go with O2 extender to get around the code?

We are hoping/guessing VSC light will disappear once that's fixed? Is there a way to check the VSC code? We also noticed that P1155 is kind of generic code? Doesn't really point to any Bank on my scanner, but I can bring it to Auto zone and check.

Problem #2
Another small issue we noticed is the steering wheel noise. When it's rotated it sounds like little kittens are in there.....guessing this is just some rubber between plastic? This one is no big deal.

I also have a question about the radio. What are you guys doing if one wants to replace the radio. noticed the whole unit has Climate control etc in it. Guessing the radio stays and new one gets put on in a different location? Curious about this, but we are leaning more towards just leaving it and using the CD changer. I'm also curious about the sound system in this car. It sounds GREAT. There is definitely an amp in there......but just curious what Lexus put in these cars.

So my 1st order of action is get the Sensor replaced and CEL cleared as I have to drive the car 100 Miles after it's cleared and pass emissions.

Once that's taken care of, I will be doing Timing belt/Waterpump/rollers and Cam seals. It hasn't been done since 90k, so I'm a little scared to drive the car......

After that, Transmission fluid looks dark (but doesn't smell burnt). Transmission shift perfect, but I will be replacing the fluid/filter and transfer case fluid ASAP as well. I already found the DIY info on that (thank you).

Then it's off to cosmetic stuff (touch up paint), polishing headlights and painting the wheels (paint is chipping/looks horrible). Once that's done I will post some external pictures.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ChaoSki; 05-02-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 06:44 AM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will take a stab at this. There are others here with much more experience than me though.

1. If it were me, I would just replace the O2 sensor (technically on this car it is an air/fuel ratio sensor). That one is so easy to get to compared to the other one.

2. Steering wheel squeak, get some lithium grease (I used the kind that comes in a an aerosol can) locate on the floorboard where the steering column goes through the firewall/ Spray around there. That works for about 6-12 months, then needs to be reapplied.

3) Not sure what your goals are for replacing the radio. I would NOT try to replace the factory installed unit. If all you are looking for is an aux/input, and possibly Bluetooth capability; then do a web search for "GROM audio". They make adapters that replace the CD player but give you those capabilities. I believe there is a DIY on the forum from someone who has installed one of their units. Disclaimer: I have not installed the GROM and still have the factory setup on my 1999.

Looks like a nice car. Enjoy the ride, and welcome to the group.

Last edited by Pzindy; 05-02-16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 07:04 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback! I got lithium grease!

Did a little search on GROM and found this!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html

Awesome, bluetooth will work great.
Old 05-02-16, 08:27 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

thats one thing i need to do to mine and that is get some stuff like armor all and apply it to the top of the dashboard, etc. and other places that are hard plastic etc. Then also get some leather cleaner and conditioner and go to town on the seats and other leather areas,(steering wheel on mine is leather covered not wood) and shifter handle which also is leather covered. There are areas i need to spray paint with rattle can on mine too. (had a few boo boos shall I say lol). But enjoy the ride!!!! take care of it and it should last miles and miles longer!!!.
Old 05-02-16, 08:38 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

For whatever its worth, I use the following. This stuff will get any grime/dirt off the plastic and make it look AND smell like new.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...otectant-spray

Love this stuff!

I actually thought some of the plastic was damaged/warn off until I cleaned. To my surprise interior looks like new. There are few little scratches on the side foot well, but that's about it.
Old 05-02-16, 09:12 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I would do meguiars but their stuff is not cheap and im on a budget lol.But!; to me it might be worth it spending the extra for meguiars as their stuff is excellent; probably some of the best out there.
Old 05-02-16, 09:20 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

Look for sales at Autozone, I think mine was 2 bucks more than Armorall.

Don't buy coffee that day : D
Old 05-09-16, 05:45 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know I managed to swap out the O2 sensor (pre Cat). Very simple job.

I pre sprayed it with rust penetration few days prior.

Tools:
3/8in Rachet + 2 inch extensions
o2 Sensor tool (Autozone/free)
Metal pipe

Unplug Negative from Battery
Unplug the connector and a clip that holds the wire
Loosen the O2 sensor/replace with new one and hook everything back up

Took me 5 min

NOTE: This is the pre cat sensor between the radiator/engine.

Check Engine and VSC is gone now.

The code I was getting was P1155.
Old 05-10-16, 10:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Keep em flyin.. Nice work when you complete the job yourself
Old 05-10-16, 06:01 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

I installed the Grom audio bluetooth system (TOYFU3 + bluethooth cable) in my 2000 RX and I highly recommend it. in addition to great sounding music from your phone.you also get the hands free calling. I think it made the audio system sound much improved and really updates the vehicle. Also consider replacing the front door speakers. My front speakers had dry rotted so there was a noticeable improvement when I replaced them, and that was prior to getting the Grom unit. Neither upgrade is difficult to do.
Old 05-11-16, 07:01 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, yea I'm considering the Grom unit. Speakers up front sound great, I believe my car is fully loaded and came with premium system It definitely has an amp.

I might go with cassette>Aux thing at first (dirt cheap).

First thing is first, timing belts/water pump/belts and transmission/trans axle fluids.....
Old 05-11-16, 08:29 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't there were any audio options in 2002. In 1999-2000 you could opt for the Nakamichi, which was well worth the price.
Old 05-11-16, 10:38 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoSki
For whatever its worth, I use the following. This stuff will get any grime/dirt off the plastic and make it look AND smell like new.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...otectant-spray

Love this stuff!

I actually thought some of the plastic was damaged/warn off until I cleaned. To my surprise interior looks like new. There are few little scratches on the side foot well, but that's about it.
Excellent recommendation. Armorall not so much:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/529486-whats-wrong-with-armorall.html

Last edited by artbuc; 05-11-16 at 10:43 AM.