RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What type of Hose is this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 01:28 PM
Blueben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of Hose is this?

I have an vacuum leak in my 2001 RX300. I came accross this hose that is cracked. I have been to NAPA, Autozone, O'Riellys, and another local parts store. No one can tell me what it is called exactly which entails no one has one. We do not have Toyota/Lexus dealership in this town so I cant just go there.

I have no idea if this is what is causing my vacuum leak, but I need to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails What type of Hose is this?-engine.jpg   What type of Hose is this?-engine-hose.jpg  
Old 05-11-16, 02:39 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You should be able to accomplish at least a temporary repair by cutting it off squarely at the point where it starts to split. You may have to peel the outer woven insulating layer back a bit, but should work.

Last edited by JAB; 05-11-16 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-16, 02:59 PM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB
You should be able to accomplish at least a temporary repair by cutting it off squarely at the point where it starts to split. You may have to peel the outer woven insulating layer back a bit, but should work.
It is vent hose connected to the intake. It allows air to flow into the upper valve train to prevent a negative air pressure condition occurring from the piston/combustion/exhaust cycle.

I say "into" because there is no valve there to prevent oil from going back into the intake. that is what the PCV valve is for on the rear valve cover.

I believe the OEM part number you need is 12261-20020
Old 05-11-16, 06:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Can that hose set off a CEL, such as a P0174 or P0171?

I created the same issue with the hose on my ES300 while replacing the valve cover gaskets, and now I'm getting those two codes. I suspect that it may be due to that hose, since I tore it apart by accident similar to as seen in the OPs pictures above.
Old 05-11-16, 07:51 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueben
I have an vacuum leak in my 2001 RX300. I came accross this hose that is cracked. I have been to NAPA, Autozone, O'Riellys, and another local parts store. No one can tell me what it is called exactly which entails no one has one. We do not have Toyota/Lexus dealership in this town so I cant just go there.

I have no idea if this is what is causing my vacuum leak, but I need to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to CL.

It will be hard to find the right hose form other than dealership. You can splice where the hose is straight.

Salim
Old 05-11-16, 09:39 PM
Blueben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are awesome. Does anyone know if this would cause the P0171 and P0174 codes? I have been running these codes for a while now and have not been able to find any cracked hoses until this one.

Originally Posted by cotis
It is vent hose connected to the intake. It allows air to flow into the upper valve train to prevent a negative air pressure condition occurring from the piston/combustion/exhaust cycle.

I say "into" because there is no valve there to prevent oil from going back into the intake. that is what the PCV valve is for on the rear valve cover.

I believe the OEM part number you need is 12261-20020
Old 05-12-16, 07:46 PM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueben
You guys are awesome. Does anyone know if this would cause the P0171 and P0174 codes? I have been running these codes for a while now and have not been able to find any cracked hoses until this one.
YES, it could. But there are a lot of things that will trigger these lean codes on both banks. It certainly wouldn't hurt to repair something that is broken

Fix it, reset the codes, and see if they come back.