RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cling, Squeak and Thwack

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 12:14 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cling, Squeak and Thwack

Need much advise about how to fix my problems.

1. When I back up and hit my brakes the rear suspension makes a small "thwack" sound. Then, when I release my foot from the brakes and hit the gas, it makes another small "thwack" sound.

2. When I go over small bumps on the road, I hear a very nice "chime" or "cling" around my back seat. It's not loud but a low volume "chime" as if there was a little person in the back hitting his triangle.

3. When I go over large bumps on the road my whole rear end makes a one large "squak". Make the car feel older than it is and very unLexus like.

I hear that it might be my sway bar bushings that are causing all these nonsense. The $10 bushings causing this many problems? It can't be..... I checked the shocks for any leaks but there isn't any.

So, please advise.

Last edited by MellonC; 05-02-03 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-01-03, 07:53 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: Cling, Squeak and Thwack

ok, lets see if i can help. The click, twack, or whatever noise that u get after u start ur car and back up or move forward is actually normal for ME. I have that too, and the rattle u have in the back might be ur rear passenger seat frame rubbing. I get that too. I dont know why i have these noises and they arent as annoying as my door speaker rattle when i pump it up, so i put off finding out why.

Originally posted by MellonC
Need much advise about how to fix my problems.
...So, please advise.
Old 05-02-03, 03:17 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Re: Cling, Squeak and Thwack

Originally posted by MellonC
When I back up and hit my brakes the rear suspension makes a small "thwack" sound. Then, when I release my foot from the brakes and hit the gas, it makes another small "thwack" sound.
There is an unusual noise as the brakes release from the discs. I've heard it and read about others that have described the same sound. Seems normal for this particular brake design.
Old 05-02-03, 10:32 AM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

So I understand problem number 1. Looks like it's no big deal.

Any other ideas or suggestions about problem 2 and 3?
Old 05-02-03, 11:20 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might be able to shed some light on Problem #3. when i picked up my RX330, there was long drawn-out creaking-type noise. i don't know if it was a "squak" sound, but it made the car seem like it was 5 years old already. i started to notice that the creaking was coming from the moonroof. you could hear this going over speedbumps, entering driveways or going over any other uneven surface.

during my 1k checkup, the tech said that it sounded like the seal around the roof was too tight. so i guess he was right, b/c he loosened it up a bit (without compromising the air-tight and water-tight seal) and lubed it up also. problem solved - no more noise!!

i got an '03 ES300 loaner car to drive, and i noticed the same noise. i'm starting to think a lot of the cars are shipped that way (maybe for added protection during transit or something). so open your sunroof slide cover and drive around with the sunroof closed. if you hear creaking coming from overhead, get it checked out at the dealer during your next visit.
Old 05-05-03, 04:07 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

I checked the moon roof but it wasn't it.

Since my earlier posting, I have located my problem area to be the passanger side rear end. Does this give anyone any ideas?