RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Fluid exchange aka flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 08:56 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid exchange aka flush

I just dropped the transmission pan and replaced the filter and there are plenty of threads and videos on that DIY here on CL.
So, I also replaced all the fluid in my transmission after the pan was drained and refilled. This can be intimidating for some people so I videoed the process to take the fear out of it. In short, I disconnected both hoses that go directly to the transmission. One is the output and the other the input. Which is which? Its easy to use logic once you check for certain. The steel lines are staggered on the tranny. The higher line is coming out of the transmission under pressure from the pump. The lower line is situated just above the seam line of the oil pan. Makes sense now that the lower line refills the oil pan due to its proximity.

I then pressed a clear hose into the output hose and the other end into the jug for collection. The 5 quart oil jugs work great because they are pre-marked. I just use a sharpie marker to make the marks easier to see from the drivers seat. So the procedure is simple. Overfill the trans by 1 quart and then turn on the engine long enough to eject 2 quarts. stop, refill with 2 quarts and do it again. You want to run 4-6 quarts this way. Keep in mind the pan has 4 new quarts of ATF before you started pumping. So you will be using 10-12 quarts for this task wen its done. quick note: make sure you only remove the number of quarts you bought to refill with. Keep track of all you drained and pumped out.

Enjoy!

I went one step further and filtered the ATF before I disposed of it to see what if anything was in the fluid. Happily I can say nothing more than the black ick that was on the pan magnets.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 06-16-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 11:30 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

great vid! Can you confirm if you are in park or in gear with the brake on? I have read up on this method on other cars that it should be in gear to engage the transmission pump.
Old 06-16-16, 12:48 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
great vid! Can you confirm if you are in park or in gear with the brake on? I have read up on this method on other cars that it should be in gear to engage the transmission pump.

The fluid pump is always pumping, even in park. You can see that in the video as I was standing outside the truck with the window open. That said, I will jump in the seat and run it through the gears for about 2-3 seconds per gear during one of the 2 quart sessions to cleanse each pathway.

I thought I read in another thread the trans had to be in reverse and I don't know who started the rumor. The fluid is pumping as soon as the engine is running. No matter which gear its in.
Old 06-16-16, 02:47 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
The fluid pump is always pumping, even in park. You can see that in the video as I was standing outside the truck with the window open. That said, I will jump in the seat and run it through the gears for about 2-3 seconds per gear during one of the 2 quart sessions to cleanse each pathway.

I thought I read in another thread the trans had to be in reverse and I don't know who started the rumor. The fluid is pumping as soon as the engine is running. No matter which gear its in.
Thanks for the confirmation. That was me via some other forums and older youtube videos that explained the input shaft has to be engaged to get the rotational inertia from the engine to drive the pump. The way you put it, i think that was the purpose to cleanse each pathway. Reverse was chosen for safety in the event someone choose too short of hose lengths as not to accidently run a helper over.