RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

A/C belt or compressor replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 10:33 PM
Shainemw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C belt or compressor replacement cost

I have an appointment with a Lexus service center to figure out what's going on. But would like some advice so I am not in shock when I get the diagnosis. My a/c stopped working and the a/c light started to blink. Turned it off and when I turned it back on again there was a horrible off and on again squeal. The engine would also lurch on and off. This hasn't changed in the last few days. Mechanic does seem to think its the compressor based on my description. How much has it cost others with this issue? 2000 AWD RX300. 184,000 miles

Last edited by Shainemw; 08-04-16 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 03:40 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

The compressor has seized and the pulley can no longer turn when the clutch is engaged, which is the nasty squeal you hear. Its bad news. You will need a new compressor, condenser, evap. and the whole system needs flushing. Its going to be expensive. You may want to go to an independant shop cause Lexus will take your kids college fund.
Old 08-05-16, 04:34 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is a thread that might be of relevance https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...king-help.html

Also on other toyota threads, replacing a clogged cabin filter as a first step has sometimes resolved the a/c problem.

Old 08-05-16, 10:38 AM
Shainemw
Driver School Candidate

A complete a/c system replacement for one failed part? Wow. Yes, taking it to a certified shop not a dealer. The kids fund has now become the RX repair fund lol. What is usually the range of cost?
Old 08-05-16, 11:00 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

if its the a/c relay 85 plus labor. As far as your actual issue, its pointless to have an expense guessing game with us. Only the shop can give you the ball park estimate based on your local labor rate.
Old 08-05-16, 12:06 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Well, I speak from experience. My daughters Rav4 did the same thing. You hit the AC button and it screeches and then the button blinks because the AC had to shut down. You can check for yourself. open the hood, and have a helper turn on the AC while you watch the compressor pulley. once the clutch is energized, the belt will try to turn the pulley, smoke and fail. The engine will lug, the AC will shut off and the engine will normalize.

Why so expensive? the compressor seizes because there was a leak and all the oil drained out and the pump is now metal on metal and the shards of metal get pushed through the whole system. So that needs to be cleaned before you put a new compressor on or it will also fail. Its impossible to clean some components like the condenser or evaporator. Had you caught it before the compressor died, you could have just replaced the compressor and recharged it. Price? When I did the Rav4, I spent $400 in parts alone and did it at home. Its been a year now and its still running strong in Oklahoma heat. You can call around for estimates. Just let them know the compressor seized and you need to flush the whole system. This is nothing new and they should be able to give you an estimate. If you can, offer to supply the parts they need. You can buy a Denso compressor from rockauto.com for $200+/- and the condenser is $90 ish. They also have bundles which can be cheaper.
Old 08-05-16, 12:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Shainemw
A complete a/c system replacement for one failed part? Wow. Yes, taking it to a certified shop not a dealer. The kids fund has now become the RX repair fund lol. What is usually the range of cost?
First some one needs to diagnose what is the failed part. From the original post it is very likely that the compressor has seized and when that happens the new compressor requires other things to be serviced/replaced.

You may just need the belt tightened, but that seems very unlikely and the cabin filter seems the most remote possibility in your case.

AC repair can run you from $1200- $1800 typically. The price is higher if the tech has to get in the dash due to extensive labor.

I have been in a situation where the diagnosis fee was 1000 time the parts fee. Plastic pipe had a pinhole in a diesel car. It took the tech 4 hours in his night shift to find the problem. We simply can not estimate correctly.

Sorry for the vague answer, but it seems you wanted a reply.

Salim
Old 08-05-16, 12:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I concur with Salim.

Lately in South Florida, I have seen a number of people 'hosed' into getting expensive ac components when in fact a new accessory belt was needed to replace the squealing one. Big difference in price.
Old 08-05-16, 02:09 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Gentlemen, a lose belt would not cause the AC light to blink. I know you dont want to bare bad news, but this one is clearly a big repair.
Old 08-05-16, 02:49 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

check your a/c fuse before you bring it in. It's labeled MG CLT in the fuse box. on some Toyota's the horn relay is the same size and can be swapped over to test.

@Drcoffee... on another post per Rjlexus's experience..
"The reason behind it is if the drive belts get wet and start to slip, there are sensors on the pully that read this and shut off the compressor. If the belts happen to slip off, the the compressor locks up and the must be towed. Lexus
does this to prevent that from happening. Every Lexus car has this feature.
Also, if this a/c lights flashes when it is dry out then your Magnetic clutch relay is failing. It is a repair that costs under $200"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post5137804
Old 08-05-16, 04:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

I suggest we leave it to OP to ask any further questions he has.

Salim
Old 08-05-16, 07:02 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Shainmw,

please post back here once you get it diagnosed. We can all learn from each others experiences. I hope its just a cabin filter issue for $15. LOL
Old 08-06-16, 11:25 PM
Shainemw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice and info. From what I have read and from my correspondence with the mechanic it is a compressor issue. It is a reputable Toyota/Lexus certified shop. He had mentioned that they will check for metal in the system in order to provide a significant diagnosis. Definitely going to post the result. Maybe changing the radio station will help. Lol
Old 08-09-16, 06:24 PM
Shainemw
Driver School Candidate

Got Lindsay back from the TLC mechanic here in San Diego. 5 star rating on Yelp. Compressor relay went bad causing the compressor to not engage. There isn't a replacement for the relay itself for this vehicle, so the compressor has to be replaced. All in it is a 800.00 repair. Not cheap, but a lot less than what I was planning on. The radiator is starting to corrode as well so a good time to get that replaced as well.
Old 08-09-16, 06:49 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Relay, or clutch?

Quick Reply: A/C belt or compressor replacement cost