RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VSC Light & Beeping - no codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 05:25 PM
lexus4us
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
How does your battery ground wire look? When they get corroded badly it can cause electrical gremlins. I have a thread on building a better ground wire for the rx300.
Will take a closer look since I didn't install the new battery.
Old 07-30-18, 04:11 PM
mrpowerzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
Have a auto electrician check your alternator output or take your alternator out and have it bench tested. As RX ages and you go through dead batteries, the rectifier diodes start dying one by one. With one or to two still working you can get enough output to charge the battery, but the waveform has many gaps. The ABS computer is very sensitive to these ripples.

I chased one such problem for months and finally nailed it when I changed the rectifier of my alternator.

Salim
HEY !!! I think you're right !! I am having this issue and i think it's my alternator cause it's also killing my batteries. and I get the sulphur scent if i'm going up steep hill, My VSC flashes and beeps according to the curve and speed. it's crazy. My question is, can this be solved by just changing the voltage regulator? instead of changing the whole alternator ?
Old 07-30-18, 05:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpowerzz
HEY !!! I think you're right !! I am having this issue and i think it's my alternator cause it's also killing my batteries. and I get the sulphur scent if i'm going up steep hill, My VSC flashes and beeps according to the curve and speed. it's crazy. My question is, can this be solved by just changing the voltage regulator? instead of changing the whole alternator ?
Your charging system needs to be working right. In my case I changes the diodes, the regulator and brushes.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
mrpowerzz (08-21-18)
Old 07-30-18, 07:12 PM
mrpowerzz
Driver School Candidate

Hey, How am I gonna get the diodes? like can these be ordered separately?
Old 07-30-18, 09:44 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpowerzz
Hey, How am I gonna get the diodes? like can these be ordered separately?
That stuff is best left for auto-electrician ... the diodes are soldered on to the plates (heat sink as well as connectors). Your best bet would be to buy the bridge. The regulator is like a 4 legged (?) spider.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
mrpowerzz (08-21-18)
Old 07-31-18, 06:50 AM
mrpowerzz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again so much. I just placed the order. I will keep you informed. Might take a little while though. Wow. I really think this will solve everything. Thanks again for sharing that info. I feel like i should be a mechanic now, I have learned so much.

Here's the update ! I did it! and so far everything seems to be working fine. this is day 1. I feel confident that my issue is solved. I will give it a more serious test in due time.

Last edited by mrpowerzz; 08-21-18 at 07:50 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 08-23-18, 10:36 PM
mrpowerzz
Driver School Candidate

Hey there, I'm back again. I think that my problem is not completely solved. I may need to continue digging. I May need to do a wheel alignment and maybe new tyres as well.
I recently changed from AIR shocks to the air suspension conversion kits which are struts and spring. I am of the idea that this change may also be a factor. and I may have to source new ones from a better company, but they cost like double the figure of these.
ALSO, i am wondering if i need to buy a new battery as this one may have been affected by the alternator before. I also drove to an area where i would always get the sulphur scent to see if i do get it, it's not as bad and doesnt linger(or i was being paranoid cause before it would be real strong), also didnt see no sign of the battery boiling or any spill of acid. I am thinking that the change of diode rectifier and voltage regulator did the trick but that the battery may already be affected and it will eventually go bad but not so soon. so i may have to buy a new battery too.
I noticed everyone talking about relay going bad. i may have to look into that as well. I found no relay in the relay boxes.

Last edited by mrpowerzz; 08-26-18 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-18, 06:56 AM
mrpowerzz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Your charging system needs to be working right. In my case I changes the diodes, the regulator and brushes.

Salim
I did all of the above except the brushes which did not arrive in time. but i don't think it would matter.
Old 11-19-18, 08:24 AM
mrpowerzz
Driver School Candidate

Hey!! I'm back ! So I just wanted to update you guys. I think the alternator repair I did may have helped with my battery and the overcharging but the ABS was still messing up.
I removed one of the ABS fuse so that it would stop engaging the brakes in certain areas.
My most recent repair seems to have solved the issue. I did a test , it actually behaved, then I drove like a maniac the next day and it finally beeped once but that was acceptable since i think it is supposed to beep when you drive like that on uneven road.
The Steering Rack bushings were gone. I had them changed. and now the driving feels a bit more sturdy and i haven't noticed the crazy ABS beep like before.
I will continue to monitor, I have placed back the fuse, so no more lights on my dashboard. I wanted to share in case someone else may have this exact issue.
Also I think you can only purchase aftermarket steering rack bushings (in case you were to search for OEM)
Old 11-19-18, 08:28 AM
lexus4us
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus4us
Will have it tested but replaced it in early January with a new battery.

I forgot to mention that the alternator was bad after all .