RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

best option for bluetooth and aux?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 05:17 PM
cwsteini
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB
I don't think that 'CWSteini' has seen an RX console; simply does not lend itself to an aftermarket head unit.
Jab,

I do. I own a 2000 Lexus RX300

Heres a photo guys:

Old 11-28-16, 05:19 PM
cwsteini
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Lexus uses L+/L- and R+/R- [4 wires for audio]. Standard Audio use L & R with ref being Ground [3 wires]. Line out level for standard audio is roughly 1v peak into > 10k ohm load ,,,[not enough to drive a speaker ... you need an Amp].

Lexus uses proprietary signal levels between units ... [CD player to head unit]

Typical after market solution I have seen just connect Ground from source to L- and R- and feed L and R to L+ and R+. Then they boost the level up.

The system built by (for) Lexus is referred to dual differential and is typically is used in scientific instruments. The front end of the Amp does a [A-B]. For the curious if there is 'n' noise which is picked up equally by wire ... [Working with L only]

Amp op --- [(L+) + n] - [(L-) + n] => 2L ... noise is eliminated.

Salim
I can't remember if this is totally correct, but ya something like that Salim.
Old 11-28-16, 06:42 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My bad; nice head unit installation Stein.
Old 12-01-16, 07:13 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

That's an interesting option. You lose your power jack but the radio provides a USB one.

Personally I prefer the Grom type solution instead of adding an additional radio.

I like the builtin audio system, and the Grom elegantly provides the bluetooth integration that it lacks.

I also find the display and plethora of tiny buttons on many current aftermarket radios very annoying.
Old 12-02-16, 11:40 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks cwsteini - nice install.
Old 03-20-17, 07:38 PM
LegoGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsteini
I can't remember if this is totally correct, but ya something like that Salim.
He's talking about balanced audio, I think, which is superior and typically used in pro audio and other places where they need to eliminate as much RFI as possible.

As far as your head unit install went, did you wire it yourself? I'm considering purchasing the DIN adapter and was wondering if you had any tips that might help.
Thanks.
Old 07-10-17, 09:25 AM
Rezman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My son turned 16 a few months ago, and when I level up to a newer vehicle he's getting the 02 RX FWD. The tape deck adapter sound is awful. I want to go with a bluetooth solution so he doesn't have to fumble with wires. For a 15 year old car, the GROM product is a bit pricey, especially since we also want to put in an aftermarket backup camera. I also want to retain the possibility of using the CD changer. I was thinking of using a 5+7p Wye adapter to hook up a cheaper bluetooth/Aux unit and the CD changer at the same time (just keeping a blank cassette in the changer since I have two.) I'm planning on mounting the unit inside the glove box for easy access to the aux port for a passenger who doesn't want to connect to BT.

Questions:
I haven't taken off the glovebox and looked inside yet. Is the wire bundle going to the CD changer really 5+7p?
I know there are some volume differentials between calls and music, not really a concern, but are there any electrical "gotchas" I should look out for with this setup?

Bluetooth/Aux unit:
Amazon Amazon
or
Amazon Amazon
Wye adapter:
Amazon Amazon

Backup cam (hooks up to reverse lights for power, so it turns on when the car is shifted into R):
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-10-17, 10:00 AM
Puttster
Driver

I put an AUX jack in my Blazer by intercepting the signal from the CD player to the MB. I used a radio shack stereo headphone female jack 274-0246 because it has holes in the terminal feet so no soldering required. Use CAT5 cable for the five wires. Turn on the CD and plug in your i-phone. Don't know if it would work on the RX300 though.

Here's the wiring diag, the 5th terminal is GND. As for the wire colors. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails best option for bluetooth and aux?-aux-module-connector.jpg  

Last edited by Puttster; 07-12-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 01:14 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Default Bluetooth/Aux and Retain CD Changer?

From what I've seen, those who posted didn't care about using the CD changer. I'd like to still retain use of the CD changer for higher quality music playing capability on rare occasion, and I've noticed most adapters replace the CD function. However, I can't remember which adapter and cable combination retained the CD function by means of a switch. There was a brand out there. Any recommendations? Has anyone done it?

1999 RX300 (Pioneer? No Nav, Not Nakamichi)

Thanks!
Old 07-12-17, 03:09 PM
Rezman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
From what I've seen, those who posted didn't care about using the CD changer. I'd like to still retain use of the CD changer for higher quality music playing capability on rare occasion, and I've noticed most adapters replace the CD function. However, I can't remember which adapter and cable combination retained the CD function by means of a switch. There was a brand out there. Any recommendations? Has anyone done it?

1999 RX300 (Pioneer? No Nav, Not Nakamichi)

Thanks!
That's what I'm looking to do as well, but without a switch. In my case, I'm considering using a wye adapter (
Amazon Amazon
) to keep the CD changer connected but adding the BT/Aux to the same connection, and keeping an empty cartridge in the CD changer so the motor won't spin.
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (07-13-17)
Old 07-13-17, 12:14 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Has anyone used Yatour Bluetooth Car Adapter products like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yato...c-848ee749c8c6?
I haven't been able to find any application information, and they seem to have lots of options, with CD changer working, without, etc. The wording is vague in the product descriptions by the sellers. Still hoping to get a hold of the seller for more information to purchase the right kit.
Old 07-13-17, 03:52 PM
Rezman
Driver School Candidate

From the reviews I've read on the Yatour and similar products (like the two I linked to above,) if you replace the CD connection with the BT module, you get no CD changer at all. If you share the connection, and you keep CDs in the cartridge, it will play CDs and whatever audio is coming from the BT /AUX connection at the same time. If sharing the connection with no CDs in the changer, it will only play the BT/Aux audio when you're on CD on the radio. Then if you want to play CDs, load a disc into the cartridge (or keep a spare full of CDs, for some reason I have two.)
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (07-13-17)
Old 07-13-17, 04:12 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Default Yatour, etc. CD Changer "Y" connector

Originally Posted by Rezman
From the reviews I've read on the Yatour and similar products (like the two I linked to above,) if you replace the CD connection with the BT module, you get no CD changer at all. If you share the connection, and you keep CDs in the cartridge, it will play CDs and whatever audio is coming from the BT /AUX connection at the same time. If sharing the connection with no CDs in the changer, it will only play the BT/Aux audio when you're on CD on the radio. Then if you want to play CDs, load a disc into the cartridge (or keep a spare full of CDs, for some reason I have two.)
So if I understand correctly, I just need to check that I'm ordering the product with a "Y" connector, and keep one of my two CD cartridges loaded empty for normal BT/Aux use. That's a good compromise to retain use of the CD changer.

Thanks for your clarification.