RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Someone already damaged my RX300 BUMPER!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 03:49 PM
MrRX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Someone already damaged my RX300 BUMPER!!!!

Hey all...just curious as to if anyone else has had a bit of bad luck with ther new Lexus as in keeping it all in one piece!!!!
I just noticed someone must have backed into me this past weekend....and scrapped the drivers side rear bumper....not too bad..but BAD ENOUGH...I have had the car for about a month and a half..and already...damage!!! SUCKS!!!!! I got estimate..and it will be like 300 bucks cause they have to repaint the whole damn bumper since its down to the primer...talk about bad luck...damn!!!!!!

mike
Old 05-27-03, 04:54 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hah, same thing happen to me when i first got mine too!!! mabbie its because both are names Mike

haha, but no i ran into lots of probs... EVERY corner of my car now has a scruff/scratch/scraped...

none done by me tho, but it'll be fixed soon by insurnace... hopefully

Mike
Old 05-27-03, 05:26 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

When parking a nice new car, to minimize risks of impact, observe the following rules.

1) Farther is better. Park where nobody else is parking.

2) Park on end spots. That way at least one side of your car will be protected from impacts.

3) Do not park next to 2 Door vehicles, as their doors are larger and thus swing further out then doors on 4 door models. This will minimize the risk of door dings.

4) Avoid compact spots, even if you have a compact car.

5) Avoid parking next to a car that is parked crooked or is awkwardly angled.

6) Avoid parking next to poles and columns. It's amazing how quickly one can forget they are next to one until you start to back out and turn your wheels.

7) And if you have to park next to someone, try and park next to another nice new car, as they are also probably trying to protect their car and thus would be careful and diligent about not damaging yours or their car.
Old 05-27-03, 07:08 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Use touch up paint to cover the ugly scars. Its a bumper- its meant to take abuse. Over the course of the next 5-10 years, it will get scratched more. Dont spend 300 just for visual repair.

My RX was rear ended by a lady and she paid $800 (the estimate by body shop). Instead of getting it repaired, I have kept it an will do so when its really bad. Ive had two more sets of scratches on the rear bumper.
Old 05-27-03, 08:38 PM
Sully C5er
Rookie

That sucks!

We park away from other cars as much as possible! We treat the Lexus & the Vette with special care & take the old Maxima whenever we go somewhere that is risky.
Old 05-27-03, 09:30 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

Scratches are gonna happen even with lots of precautions. As mentioned, don't bother repainting it because it'll only get another scratch a month or two after being repainted. Just put some touch-up paint on and try not to think about it.
Old 05-28-03, 10:58 AM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RX300-BV
7) And if you have to park next to someone, try and park next to another nice new car, as they are also probably trying to protect their car and thus would be careful and diligent about not damaging yours or their car.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. This method always works.
Old 05-28-03, 04:24 PM
MrRX300
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Mike + Lexus = scraps and scratches

Originally posted by spinteews
hah, same thing happen to me when i first got mine too!!! mabbie its because both are names Mike

haha, but no i ran into lots of probs... EVERY corner of my car now has a scruff/scratch/scraped...

none done by me tho, but it'll be fixed soon by insurnace... hopefully

Mike

Hey Mike, whats up? Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. i Hope that mine doesnt keep up.
I was so careful about not having anything happen to it...but you know what.....there are tooooo many A@@h#les driving on the road today. i just would bet it happened at the parking lot in a grocery store. The worst part is....I made sure I was as quick as possible..and call me paranoid but I glanced out the window a few times when I went by just to check up on it. I always do park on the end spots at work too....and I make sure I Park against the wall where there is no grass when the stupid landscape guys barber the grass and shot rocks and stones and anything else onto peoples cars. Doesn't anyone have any respect to someones car these days? So ignorant!!!!! As for people in parking lots.....they need to have cameras out in the parking lots to keep those idiot hit and run Jerks!!!!!
I have decided not to get my whole bumpber painted....going to have a someone that recommended i go see and have him either touch it up professionally or even just try and spray the small area and buff it into the rest....how bad can it look?? its on the corner of the bumper...can't really see both the back and the side at same time......i will let u know how it turns out.......

MIKE
Old 05-28-03, 04:42 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Ummm the correct spelling is A$$h0!e$
Old 05-28-03, 07:10 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

well rx300-bv, it isn't really safe to park any car in an isolated spot, as you mentioned. You should park where there aren't a lot of cars but still there are a few cars so that it wouldn't be easy for the thieves to steal any car, and well lighted areas if you think you will leave your vehicle in the parking lot during night time.. another tip is, if the parking area is a slant, always try to park on the top of the slant so that if there is anyone who parks right beside you, their door wouldn't get pulled down by the slant which sometimes will hit your car. This is a good tip especially in the supermarket where there are a lot of carts scattered all over the place.
Old 06-10-03, 05:03 PM
MrRX300
Driver School Candidate

Question Any Paint Body shop experts???

I found a place that would paint my bumper cover for 175
not bad considering one estimate was 300.
Now...does Lexus have their own paint or not??? One place said they get their paint from lexus direct....
another said that Lexus does not have their own paint and that the paint the shop uses is better than lexus paint anyways.....?????
What the hell????? Anyone know anything about this?????

thanks..mike
Old 06-11-03, 07:51 AM
Goncookoo

I wished RX300-BV's 7 steps would work 100%...

I had my RX for exactly 2 days... and got a few deep scratches in my bumper!

Story for those bored at work like me: I went to get groceries very late that night and there were only a few cars left in the parking lot. So, I parked WAY in the back where there were NO cars thinking itd be safe.

I came back out, loaded up my trunk, and low and behold there was this HUUUUGE white scratch on my bumper . Oh I went nuts! How could my car get hit with no cars around?? I stomped and hopped up and down in the parking lot like a 3 year old who didnt get to buy what he wanted . I hated MASS-holes for a week (and am still pissed off every time I see that scratch on my cars A$$).

Well here is my addendum to the list....

8) never park by a car that has liltle kids toys in it OR if there is a liltle kid IN IT!
I hate to say it but kids dont know any better and when they open a car door they OPEN it all the way!

I didnt follow my own rules last week and this is what happened.

STORY 2: MY GF and I went to Dairy Queen the other day and the only spot left was a spot next to a car with a mother and a kid in it. I figured itd be ok since the dads probably picking up the icecream just like my GF is standing in line for ours and noone else needs to get out of the car (HAHAHA, someones got to protect the car).

Well, a minute passed and I guess the little girl got impatient and decided to get out of the back seat. OH MY GOD... I watched as the lil' girl stuggled to open the door to the back seat. Man, it was like slow motion... she cracked the door open a bit... layed on her back... raised her hind legs and with all her might............ KICKED the door open!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH..... all i hear is a thump. WTF! I didnt know what to do... yell at a 6 year old with her mom there? Yell at her mom? Her mom didnt even notice... she was staring into the air like a dolt. I got out of the car looked at my door. I wanted to someone! Luckily the door of the other car hit the plastic moulding on the lower part of my rear divers side door and left a fairly small scuff mark. MAN, imagine if the other car were higher... BIG DING in the door!

9) On very windy days, park facing the wind and away from other cars.... wow, how many times have I seen people get out of their cars and let go of the door only to have wind catch it like a sail and fling it into the car next to them!!!

10) never park normal to a slope unless youre the car on the top of the slope (like in a multi level parking garage). Many a times ive seen people let go of thier doors and have gravity take it over swinging it into the poor car one spot down.

Sometimes I wish I still owned my old beat up carolla (I dont wish it often though )

GONCOOKOO

Last edited by Goncookoo; 06-11-03 at 07:52 AM.