RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Middle Brake Light Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 05:42 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Middle Brake Light Removal Help

Anyone know how to remove the rear middle break light, or its feedback to the ecu? This will be the 4th time it has gone out in 3 years. Its too much, and the purpose of the light is pointless. All the other break lights work. Im sure all of you with high mileage RX300's have had the issue already. I dont know if yours keeps going out but mine does, and its pissing me off. How do I block the feedback, fuses, wires, etc to make it stop working altogether?????? I want the rear middle brake light removed permanently, or disconnected so I dont have this lame check light on my dashboard. The check light should only work for the main lights not this silly 1 inch band with a fufu light bulb inside. Please help. I have an electrician in the family so if its complicated I can still do it.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-17, 06:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by shervink24
Anyone know how to remove the rear middle break light, or its feedback to the ecu? This will be the 4th time it has gone out in 3 years. Its too much, and the purpose of the light is pointless. All the other break lights work. Im sure all of you with high mileage RX300's have had the issue already. I dont know if yours keeps going out but mine does, and its pissing me off. How do I block the feedback, fuses, wires, etc to make it stop working altogether?????? I want the rear middle brake light removed permanently, or disconnected so I dont have this lame check light on my dashboard. The check light should only work for the main lights not this silly 1 inch band with a fufu light bulb inside. Please help. I have an electrician in the family so if its complicated I can still do it.

Thanks.
I sense frustration here. It is ok to vent here.

What replacement bulbs have you been using? In all these years, I replaced the original only once, but I did buy the replacement from the dealer.The bulb is high wattage and the contacts need to be firm and secure. Maybe the problem is with the socket and it can no longer securely hold the bulb and once there is bad connection your electrician family member can explain that ... with cold filament, the resistance is low and you get strong current surge and once the filament lights up, the resistance gets higher limiting the current. With arcing (bad connection) the bulb sees current surges and that pops the filament. You must have noticed that the light bulbs at home pop when you turn them on and very seldom they pop while they have been on or off.

Look up the third tail light. Believe me it is has prevented many accident. I personally think it will not be prudent to remove it. Also check state inspection requirements.

Fix the root cause and buy quality bulb.

Incidentally the failed brake light is lit up by ecu measuring the current drawn by the brake circuit. Removing a load does not help. You can replace the bulb by a resistance [I dont know what value] to draw the right amount of current.

You may like to see what the LED replacement option is. Make sure they draw enough current to prevent brake light failure.

Salim
Old 03-23-17, 07:09 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the cheapest bulb available at Orielly Auto. Could you please give me the OEM part number maybe I can find it cheaper online, and use the Toyota brand option. Yes I am venting bro. Its not fun taking all the plastic off and on every time to change this dumb bulb. I would care less if the dashboard light didn't light up because it makes me think the primary brake lights are out. I don't believe this is a violation to have disabled in CA. Not all SUV vehicles have a 3rd rear light. The first time it went out I drove for 7 months without changing it, and never had a ticket for it. I will change it one last time with the Toyota brand part. It went out during a drive where I was tapping the break for short intervals but not frequently because of traffic. So I was coasting and tapping it quickly (not holding brake down) just for a few MPH loss.
I dont want to ask my electrician family member anything unless needed since he is extremely talkative, and a simple question is a 1 hour conversation about electronics. I will bring him in when I want to remove the light altogether. Maybe next time. Thanks Salim. Please send me the part number if you got it. Thanks. I will also check the fitting of the bulb to ensure it is firmly in place.
Old 03-23-17, 07:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by shervink24
Iand a simple question is a 1 hour conversation about electronics. .
Sure we are not related? :^)

I use online sites like Lexus of South Atlanta.

For items like bulb, the dealership is not out of the way, pay the high price like $10 for the bulb and enjoy the snacks.

Salim
Old 03-24-17, 08:53 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I went to DDM Tuning and bought a LED red bulb for 3rd brake light so far no problems and also bought their new Cree reed tail light bulbs for my 4 taillights and my tail and brake lights are 10 x brighter and got the Cree clear light for back up lights wow are they bright. I also put LED bulbs in the interior works nice got the HID bulbs for the headlights a little hard to put the head lights bulbs in. DDMtuning.com 714-901-5080 the third brake light lights up great using the LED bulb, the only reason I bought the LED tail lights was to keep people from hitting me it seems to working..