RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Alarm going off every time I open door, and can't program remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 08:04 AM
dadoflexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm going off every time I open door, and can't program remote

2000 RX300, daughter bought used with only one slave key. Bought two master remotes from a dealer on ebay and had a local locksmith program and flash computer and both work, but door actuator was bad and could not program remote. I have now replaced the actuator in both front doors and still can't program remotes and now every time you unlock and open door with a key the alarm goes off. Need some guidance please. I must have missed something or done something wrong?
The following users liked this post:
MeMyselfNI (07-06-21)
Old 04-18-17, 08:22 PM
kostiuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the actuators. I just went through this on my 03. I ended up putting a new motor in the old drivers side actuator and reinstalling it and that solved the problem.
Kevin K.
Old 05-20-17, 04:28 AM
Rick0246
Driver School Candidate

dadoflexus did you figure out what was wrong with it? Kostiuk that is a fix but it should not be like that...there has to be some type of programming either with the ecu or something....but I share this problem too now dadoflexus....since I replaced all my actuators, my key can turn on the car but for some reason wont disarm the alarm via key in driver door...so that can only mean that the key needs to be programmed via fob with the new actuators so that it recognizes the key....I think what is going on is what it says in fine print in the window...anti-theft deterrence system in place in case of tampering with the keys...I am no mechanic this is all a hunch for me but it seems like this may be the case...and I am not throwing in the towel with having to resort to using your old actuators....because if that really stops working then you are S.O.L? yeah I don't think that is viable...we will find other ways to resolve this....I will keep my thread and this updated with what I find out...
Old 05-20-17, 08:49 AM
geturdone
Driver School Candidate

Recently purchased a 2003 RX300 with very similar issues. One long press(at least 3-4 seconds) usually results in ability
to open drivers door without alarm. A short press does unlock door, but upon working door handle, alarm will immediately
be activated. Yesterday on and off the drivers door completely failed to respond to fob, but all other doors functioned
correctly. Two short pressed so far results in all doors being unlocked and alarm disabled. Today drivers door "so far" is
back to working with long press. Trying very hard to get dealer to fix before I start working on problems. I am not completely
convienced that problem is mechanical issue with actuator, cannot help but believe something may be wrong with ECU for
drivers door. Keep me posted of progress in resolving your ongoing issue, and I will do same.
geturdone
Old 03-19-18, 12:43 PM
shelteru
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300 and had to replace my door actuators and get another remote key as spare. After replacing all my actuators except the driver door and reprogramming my remote key, everything was working perfectly. Then my driver door actuator started act up and I decided to replace it while I was at it. However after I replaced my driver door actuator, whenever my doors are locked and I used the remote to ONLY open the driver door by pushing the unlock button once, when I open the driver door the alarm goes off. Please help. Thanks.
Old 05-16-18, 02:06 PM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm bumping this thread because I'm (intermittently) experiencing what @shelteru described as his/her post-actuator replacement end-state: having previously locked (my '98 ES300) with the key fob, pressing the fob's unlock button once successfully unlocks the driver's door, but opening said door sounds the alarm.

Again, this only happens intermittently - but it happen three times today (about 50% of the time). Any ideas?
Old 05-19-18, 11:22 PM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default A longer press on remote's unlock button...

Originally Posted by BMeek
I'm bumping this thread because I'm (intermittently) experiencing what @shelteru described as his/her post-actuator replacement end-state: having previously locked (my '98 ES300) with the key fob, pressing the fob's unlock button once successfully unlocks the driver's door, but opening said door sounds the alarm.

Again, this only happens intermittently - but it happened three times today (about 50% of the time). Any ideas?
So a quick press of my remote key fob's unlock button causes my '98 ES 300 to sound a beep and unlock the driver's door. But, a quick press doesn't seem to deactivate the alarm - when the door is opened, the alarm sounds. A longer button press - say 2 or 3 seconds - seems to unlock the door AND disarm the alarm. Now we know.
Old 07-06-21, 07:44 PM
MeMyselfNI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dadoflexus
2000 RX300, daughter bought used with only one slave key. Bought two master remotes from a dealer on ebay and had a local locksmith program and flash computer and both work, but door actuator was bad and could not program remote. I have now replaced the actuator in both front doors and still can't program remotes and now every time you unlock and open door with a key the alarm goes off. Need some guidance please. I must have missed something or done something wrong?
Very same problem. I bought the '02 RX300 - it is my first car. The dealer convinced me that the master key is worth 20 bucks and now I am more and more inclined to think that he intentionally lost both master keys and the extra blade, leaving only the slave key: if they were present, I'd possibly find out about the issues with the lock actuator in the driver's door.

I ordered a new actuator there and spent a whole lot of time installing it and reinstalling again, hoping that I happened to order a broken part. The driver's door unlocks if I try unlocking it through the passenger front door, but the other way around it triggers the alarm. Furthermore, it doesn't go off until I try to actually open the door, so I can unlock it, but not open. I noticed that the other doors don't unlock when I spin the key in the driver's lock door, so I am assuming the issue is at the point of communicating the fact that the lock opened to the car alarm computer.

Anyone figured out the solution at this point? I already wasted about 100 dollars on a replacement remote key, and even without it it is just royally inconvenient to open the driver's door by first going around to the right and unlocking there. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-06-21, 09:11 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The aftermarket has amazing options now you can get 3g 4g pagers. Only in chinese market to start as the big brands all use wifi which only work within a mile. You can also combine them to work with older alarms.
Old 07-07-21, 05:59 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by MeMyselfNI
Very same problem. I bought the '02 RX300 - it is my first car. The dealer convinced me that the master key is worth 20 bucks and now I am more and more inclined to think that he intentionally lost both master keys and the extra blade, leaving only the slave key: if they were present, I'd possibly find out about the issues with the lock actuator in the driver's door.

I ordered a new actuator there and spent a whole lot of time installing it and reinstalling again, hoping that I happened to order a broken part. The driver's door unlocks if I try unlocking it through the passenger front door, but the other way around it triggers the alarm. Furthermore, it doesn't go off until I try to actually open the door, so I can unlock it, but not open. I noticed that the other doors don't unlock when I spin the key in the driver's lock door, so I am assuming the issue is at the point of communicating the fact that the lock opened to the car alarm computer.

Anyone figured out the solution at this point? I already wasted about 100 dollars on a replacement remote key, and even without it it is just royally inconvenient to open the driver's door by first going around to the right and unlocking there. Any help will be appreciated.
Why not go back to the "dealer" and put $40 on the table and say that he get you the two keys.

There is more going on. Leaving the electronics out of the discussion ... the key blade should operate all locks. There is a convenience factor that along with the key the electronics is still active and you can disable that by disconnecting the 12v battery. Any auto lock mechanic should be able to fix that problem. Valet key has limited access [trunk and glove compartment should not be accessible].

Then there is the mobilizer, and you need registered keys to automatically disable it. You need master key to allow copies to be made.

Remote is a convenience factor and the only combining factor is the magnetic slug [for immobilizer] is part of the module.

There are many options you have [with varying costs]. I would rank order the remote lock/un-lock the least. Having 2 master and 1 valet would be at top of my list.

Salim
Old 07-24-21, 11:37 AM
Canagraph
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced all 4 of the door lock actuators and having the same alarm issue.
Key FOB doesn't respond at all. When I mechanically unlock and open driver's door, alarm goes off until I insert the key into ignition; Very annoying.

Edit: While replacing the actuators, I forgot/didn't disconnect the battery, could this have caused this issue?

Please help.
Old 07-25-21, 04:40 PM
irundstree
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Canagraph
I just replaced all 4 of the door lock actuators and having the same alarm issue.
Key FOB doesn't respond at all. When I mechanically unlock and open driver's door, alarm goes off until I insert the key into ignition; Very annoying.

Edit: While replacing the actuators, I forgot/didn't disconnect the battery, could this have caused this issue?

Please help.
where did you purchase the actuator from? My drivers side one is bad.... & believe my ignition switch or ignition cylnder is bad also lol
Old 07-25-21, 04:50 PM
Canagraph
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by irundstree
where did you purchase the actuator from? My drivers side one is bad.... & believe my ignition switch or ignition cylnder is bad also lol
I bought a new OEM set off Ebay (click link). I have a feeling they are fakes but they did work fine except for killing my fob completely after installation. Can anyone confirm fakes vs non-fake? It's hard even comparing to my originals even when I was installing them. You can check the ad to see a photo of the actuators.

I can honestly careless if they are fake or not fake at this point since all 4 are installed, but the fact that it killed connection to my key FOB makes me wonder. Checked battery voltage and even tried reprogramming key fob (which works, but still unable to unlock/lock after reprogramming.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-21, 06:13 PM
GS3UPINTHI
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1998 GS300 that uses the same actuators as this model RX300. I purchased aftermarket actuators and installed them and my key fob didn't work either. I found a thread that said the aftermarket ones will usually make the key box to stop working and to take apart the oem actuator and replace and install the motor from the aftermarket. I did this to both the driver and passenger front and now my key fob works again. There are YouTube videos on how to do this, it's very easy.
Old 08-04-21, 06:14 PM
GS3UPINTHI
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1998 GS300 that uses the same actuators as this model RX300. I purchased aftermarket actuators and installed them and my key fob didn't work either. I found a thread that said the aftermarket ones will usually make the key box to stop working and to take apart the oem actuator and replace and install the motor from the aftermarket. I did this to both the driver and passenger front and now my key fob works again. There are YouTube videos on how to do this, it's very easy.

Quick Reply: Alarm going off every time I open door, and can't program remote