RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Coolant and Brake Fluid change @ 30 K

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-03 | 10:50 AM
dprosa
Driver School Candidate

Default Coolant and Brake Fluid change @ 30 K ???

What's up Guys,

My 2000 RX is due for 30,000 (2.8 yrs old) service,according to the Owner's manual the Coolant and Brake Fluids should be changed at this time. BUT the Edmunds maintenance schedule does not mention replacement of these. I take my RX to Toyota for service so the cost would be less anyway BUT should I replace these fluids at this time ?
thanks
Danny

Last edited by dprosa; 06-06-03 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-06-03 | 11:47 AM
ganglandstyle
Driver School Candidate

Definitely change the fluids! Also, be prepared for a big surprise at the total invoice for the 30K service--mine was $600.

Regarding the coolant, almost three years of bouncing around on roads and pumping through the engine could cause the opportunity to shake loose contaminants and even metal fragments--flushing and changing can prevent problems and perhaps improve engine cooling.

Changing brake fluid is less compelling, however, with all of the electronics in the braking system, it is not a bad idea to have Lexus look at the entire system which they will have to do when changing the brake fluid.

When I had my 30,000 mile service done on my 2001 a couple of months ago, the mechanic did not tighten one of the connections and enough fluid drained out over a period of a week, that every light on the instrument panel associated with the brakes lit up--the "brake" light, VSC, etc. I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it did not seem to be low. With a lot of apologies, the dealer found the problem and fixed it. No big problem--Sewell Lexus in Dallas is impressive--you can make an appointment a day ahead of time and they always give a loaner without asking.
Old 06-06-03 | 03:35 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default dpro, same as above...

definitely change the anti freeze. This is a must for long trouble free life. I typicall drain as much as I can each fall and refill with 50/50. The brake system should have a change on schedule especially if you are in a very humid climate. Brake fluid soakes up moisture and can corrode many parts.
Old 06-06-03 | 06:25 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Coolant and Brake Fluid change @ 30 K ???

Originally posted by dprosa
What's up Guys,

My 2000 RX is due for 30,000 (2.8 yrs old) service,according to the Owner's manual the Coolant and Brake Fluids should be changed at this time. BUT the Edmunds maintenance schedule does not mention replacement of these. I take my RX to Toyota for service so the cost would be less anyway BUT should I replace these fluids at this time ?
thanks
Danny
The Lexus dealership here listed coolant and brake fluid will be replaced at 30K Mile service.
Old 06-07-03 | 08:26 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I had my coolant replaced in January, one year of use, and the engine temperature went down about 3 or 4 notches. I personally use Valvoline synthetic brake fluid since I now actually live in the tropics, and that has prevented my previous contamination problems.
Old 06-08-03 | 05:56 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Exclamation For Sure Change Brtke Fluid

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from condensation in the system as it heats up and cools down especially under extreme conditions and very hard braking. This moisture DOES impact the fluids ability to do its job. It is a small price to pay for safety. Have it changed. You guys need to check your service invoices after major services. I have found that my crappy dealer does not always do what is suppose to be done. I can tell from parts/fluids listed. Last time I was suppose to have a trans fluid change, guess what it wasn''t done. Don't trust the idiots.
Old 06-15-03 | 06:28 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally posted by ganglandstyle
--Sewell Lexus in Dallas is impressive--you can make an appointment a day ahead of time and they always give a loaner without asking.
I will say a big AMEN to Sewell Lexus for their excellent way of doing business. The SEWELL family is legendary for their dealerships in the Metro Dallas Area. I have purchased cars of a different make from SEWELL and have been treated royally by all of SEWELL's dealerships where I have done business. I did not purchase the 1999 Lexus RX300 from SEWELL as it was purchased as a previously owned vehicle from Toyota of Longview, in Longview, Tx. I was not entirely pleased with the service I received from the Lexus store that is located one and one-half hours closer to me than SEWELL is in Dallas. However, I now drive the extra one and one-half hours to SEWELL when I require service that cannot be performed at the Toyota store.
Old 06-16-03 | 06:26 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I cannot speak for Dallas area dealers, but my de-facto Lexus dealer, Lexus of San Antonio, (861.3 miles away from Mexico City), does a terrific job for us expatriates who have to drive up. I send them an email or give them a call, and they are exactly precise on how long it is going to take (with an extra day to spare(the day we leave). In addition, they move us to the front of the service line. They covered struts out-of-warranty as if under warranty, and even spotted a fault with my ATF (previous dealer used Castrol not Toyota Type-IV). While some of you may drive 3 hours to the nearest Lexus, I will still drive 12 hours every six months up to San Antonio to get excellent Lexus service, even with Lexus arriving here in early 2004.
Old 06-16-03 | 10:09 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Here's a search on the term 30K.

Here's a $250 30K service.

I'll beat $250
Old 06-16-03 | 04:25 PM
parula
Instructor

I am all for saving money, but there is a point at which the average owner of Lexus vehicles might face a marginal disutility for immediate service savings in terms of decreased service quality and support thereafter.

I would be first in line to say in my opinion their service is waayyyy overpriced but there might be a downside to seeking the absolute cheapest service around too unless one can perform all the service oneself or has a super private shop at hand.
Old 06-16-03 | 04:52 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Good thing I'm not an average Lexus owner or seeking the absolute cheapest service around.