RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help asap brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 02:32 AM
Woogie8187
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap brake failure

Please need help
  • need help asap 2003 rx300 I cut most of the wires to bypass the module but I'm not sure if I did the rewiring right now I get a vsc and trac off light when I start driving
  • I don't want to return my neighbors car unsafe please assist thanks in advance
Old 06-05-17, 02:35 AM
Woogie8187
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Woogie8187
Please need help
  • need help asap 2003 rx300 I cut most of the wires to bypass the module but I'm not sure if I did the rewiring right now I get a vsc and trac off light when I start driving
  • I don't want to return my neighbors car unsafe please assist thanks in advance
when u trun on the lights one click they come on (bottom lights) when its off and I brake only 3rd light comes on....don't know if that affects the csv and trac light to come on...no check engine light or else I would clear it with obd2
Old 06-05-17, 09:19 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 221 Posts

It's not clear what you did here.
What are you bypassing and why? Can you just splice everything you cut?
Old 06-05-17, 11:16 PM
Woogie8187
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
It's not clear what you did here.
What are you bypassing and why? Can you just splice everything you cut?
I'm bypassing her brake failure module located left side lower back panel grey blue back cover....im either getting only lower lights working or third brake light or all of them constant on...witch looks like she is braking all the time....vsc light comes on with trac off light...please assist
Old 06-06-17, 04:06 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

I am with max steel .. just splice everything back and make sure you are back to where you started.

Brake system is unswitched ,,,, has constant 12v with NO Key in ignition. When you 'cut' without battery being disconnected, you could have caused s short and popped few fuses or worse.

Brake has its own diagnostic port. Few advanced OBDII can read the brake codes and then again some information may not be on the OBD!!. [not mandated back then]

Salim
Old 06-06-17, 04:41 AM
Woogie8187
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am with max steel .. just splice everything back and make sure you are back to where you started.

Brake system is unswitched ,,,, has constant 12v with NO Key in ignition. When you 'cut' without battery being disconnected, you could have caused s short and popped few fuses or worse.

Brake has its own diagnostic port. Few advanced OBDII can read the brake codes and then again some information may not be on the OBD!!. [not mandated back then]

Salim
so what do u think is causing the vsc light to come on with trac off light.... I think the module is not getting power from the orange and green wire and also a solid green wire....I'm pressed for time again I'm workin on the problem all thru the night she goes to work at 9am its about to be 5am
Old 06-06-17, 07:13 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Please check if the brake system is working ,,, which is some what independent of the visual feed back and may indicate that the automation built in is no longer working.

So first order is go back to what it was and then try systematically what you were trying to do ,,, I think you were on the path of bypassing the automation.

Back to the question you are asking ,,, I am unable to answer as I lack the insight into the warning system and personally I would not touch/bypass the ABS module. I may have a working module which [99 with traction control] .. which i did not need as my source of the problem was bad alternator .. producing ABS error. [ABS is very sensitive and requires that the charging system is right and the battery is fairly charged up].

VSC may have nothing to do with the ABS .. it can be a problem with the wheel spin sensors.
You can get into brake diagnostic by shorting test pins and counting bulb flashes ,,, but that will have to happen at a later time. Search will get you this information.

Salim
Old 06-06-17, 07:24 AM
Woogie8187
Driver School Candidate

Please check if the brake system is working ,,, which is some what independent of the visual feed back and may indicate that the automation built in is no longer working.

So first order is go back to what it was and then try systematically what you were trying to do ,,, I think you were on the path of bypassing the automation.

Back to the question you are asking ,,, I am unable to answer as I lack the insight into the warning system and personally I would not touch/bypass the ABS module. I may have a working module which [99 with traction control] .. which i did not need as my source of the problem was bad alternator .. producing ABS error. [ABS is very sensitive and requires that the charging system is right and the battery is fairly charged up].

VSC may have nothing to do with the ABS .. it can be a problem with the wheel spin sensors.
You can get into brake diagnostic by shorting test pins and counting bulb flashes ,,, but that will have to happen at a later time. Search will get you this information.

Salim
so put everything back and see what's what? The brake system works I'm sure the first time I messed with it it locked the shifter and had to be released by the push button..fixed the fuse it works....the next thing u suggested that might throw some things up is a drained battery? Ill take pictures will u be available later today?
Old 06-06-17, 08:40 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

so put everything back and see what's what? The brake system works I'm sure the first time I messed with it it locked the shifter and had to be released by the push button..fixed the fuse it works....the next thing u suggested that might throw some things up is a drained battery? Ill take pictures will u be available later today?
We all try to help each other, but keep in mind we are enthusiasts over here. I hope you saw the disclaimer above that I personally dont know much, but collectively you may get the help you need.

Salim
Old 06-06-17, 08:47 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Just to be clear, there is no brake failure as your thread title suggests. The brake system works fine. You are troubleshooting VSC error lights?
Old 06-06-17, 07:50 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

It sounds like he was trying to bypass the lamp failure module, he posted in here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...re-module.html

I don't think that thread says anything about cutting wires to bypass the module though.

Then after he "did the rewiring right now I get a vsc and trac off light when I start driving"

I would still go back to start.
Disconnect battery. Reconnect everything you cut. Fix any blown fuses. Reconnect battery. Check for codes.
Old 06-07-17, 07:43 AM
Woogie8187
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
It sounds like he was trying to bypass the lamp failure module, he posted in here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...re-module.html

I don't think that thread says anything about cutting wires to bypass the module though.

Then after he "did the rewiring right now I get a vsc and trac off light when I start driving"

I would still go back to start.
Disconnect battery. Reconnect everything you cut. Fix any blown fuses. Reconnect battery. Check for codes.
I did as you said went back to start...reconnected everything....3rd brake light only works....bottom brake lights is a no go...but you turn on lights one click those bottom lights come on but they don't get brighter when you brake like they should....vsc and trac light come on together once you start moving in drive...the D in the cluster light is out....I noticed she has low oil....idk if that can cause anything to come on....and she smells to me like she is running rich....but she never had vsc and trac come on until I looked at it....Idk whats the next move......please assist at least let's try to get her bottom brakes to illuminate. Thanks to everyone really.
Old 06-07-17, 07:58 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Top [3rd] tail light should be on the same circuit as side brake lights. Check for open/severed_connection. Key need not be in ignition.
Tail light vs brake light ... they are independent circuits. What you are observing is the same as the one listed above. [no new information]
Low oil --> different problem add as needed. [unrelated]
vsc AND track --> typically they appear in pair -> need to check codes .. do the brake code check by counting instrument cluster flashing bulb .
smelling rich --> [unrelated .. ignore till you get CEL]

Salim
Old 06-07-17, 10:04 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

I did as you said went back to start...reconnected everything....3rd brake light only works....bottom brake lights is a no go...but you turn on lights one click those bottom lights come on but they don't get brighter when you brake like they should....vsc and trac light come on together once you start moving in drive...the D in the cluster light is out....I noticed she has low oil....idk if that can cause anything to come on....and she smells to me like she is running rich....but she never had vsc and trac come on until I looked at it....Idk whats the next move......please assist at least let's try to get her bottom brakes to illuminate. Thanks to everyone really.
Agree with Salim. You are mixing a number of unrelated things. Start simple, do one by one
  • If the oil is low, add some.
  • D light not working - change the bulb. There is a sticky for this.
  • Low brake light bulbs not working while high one is - did you try changing the bulbs?
Old 06-09-17, 08:01 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Salim
Hello Salim, can you expound on this as I've never heard of it before and where would find this diagnostic port? If I'm understanding this correctly, this is not the same as the OBDII port that's steering wheel/dash?? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need help asap brake failure