RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

T-REX single 12" sub install trunk mounted

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 06:34 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default T-REX single 12" sub install trunk mounted

Just got a Pioneer SVC 12 inch sub installed in my wife's RX. I chose to go with a semi flush mounted method, by cutting a hole in the spare tire cover board. Placing the sub directly over the spare tire of course left just enough room for it.

I recognize this isn't an ideal set up for maximum sound waves. We don't care! The wife just wanted a little boom, but we are not willing to sacrifice any space for that. So this is the best I could do. Call it free air, infinity air, blah blah I'm not an audiophile. I just thought I'd share what I did with the community, frowned upon or not.

I cut out a piece of hammer mill screen, which has a zillion little holes in it, and left 8 tabs to bend over and fit around the sub. Painted it silver cuz it's all I had.

Amp placed where left cubby tray used to reside.
Old 06-17-17, 07:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

I would have gone fro the hatch and put extensions as needed to clear the outer sheeting.

The next option would have been extending into one of the two side trays (next to spare).

The only negative of your choice is now the luggage has to sit on top of the speaker. The offset (choice 2) would have been more space on one side for a larger object to be placed flat.

Who cares what others say or feel as long as the Mrs is happy with the solution.

Salim
Old 06-24-17, 07:58 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Old 06-24-17, 08:07 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Well the wife said, "I thought it would be more......"

SO! I've been skimming for better stuff on craigslist and Facebook(marketplace is getting pretty good...)
And picked up a Phoenix gold 500.2 xs2500 for a hundred bucks. The pioneer sub sounded better, but still not enough. Then I found the 3k watt nakamichi sub(450rms) for 90 bucks. I ended up grabbing it for 60. SO for the same price as new pioneer crap I got a half *** decent system, and the wife is content. She says if she doesn't need to turn it down in the city, it's not loud enough! Success!
​​​​​

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 06-24-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 01:15 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

I would have opted to put the full size spare in storage and put a can of fix-a-flat in the glove box. That would leave plenty of room for a sub(s) and vented floor that could support anything you put in the trunk. Either way, glad the Mrs is happy.
Old 06-28-17, 04:33 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

I once knew a guy that drove an old beat up thunderbird. He said his tire kept going flat and it started shaking. "I put 3 cans or fix a flat in it, it shouldn't be leaking" he says.....

I'm sure fix a flat has its place but I could never bring myself to actually replace a spare with a can. That's just me! Probably would work but as a mechanic I'm skeptical.

I did check out the hatch panel and it would need to be one shallow little sub to fit there.

Thought I should share the other end of the stereo in this T-REX.

Little background, bought this rx with 260k miles needed an engine. Bought a 99 ES300 and swapped both engine and trans together in with 160k mi. I cracked the damn windshield installing the new drive train.. So believe me I was happy to be done fixing this thing. Maiden voyage: peaceful blissful SILENCE.........

Wth, the radio doesn't work?? I give a bang on the dash, stop and restart the car..... Ok no radio maybe it's the amp. I screwed around for a while trying to find the culprit here but never did.

SO here's my solution, I cut a hole in the plastic below the hvac deal, right where seat heater switches would be(ours have none) and JUST BARELY squeezed a stereo in there. It's such a tight fit I didn't even use a mounting sleeve, it's just stuck here. I pulled the wiring up from the back where the amp is and made my connections.

I originally told the wife a stereo wouldn't fit here but she thought otherwise and insisted I check it out.

Happy wife, happy.... Me?

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
I would have opted to put the full size spare in storage and put a can of fix-a-flat in the glove box. That would leave plenty of room for a sub(s) and vented floor that could support anything you put in the trunk. Either way, glad the Mrs is happy.

Old 06-28-17, 07:51 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Other than the issue of loosing flat cargo space [OP must have given it a thought and chose what was best for him], it is a good use of cavity there. just my $0.02

Salim