RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake caliper bracket woes-warning about part

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 06:57 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake caliper bracket woes-warning about part

I had a dragging brake on the front driver side of my 99 AWD RX300. It was time for pads anyway, and O'Reilly had a rebate if you bought rotors and pads, So anyway,...

Get things apart and realize one of the Guide Pins in the caliper bracket is seized. Rather than fight it, I thought it would be easier to just buy a new caliper (with bracket). The old caliper was looking pretty rusty anyway.

The caliper part number from OReilly was 19B1974A. It does not work. The 'slot' where the brake pad 'ear' goes into is smaller on the new bracket than it is on the old bracket. The hardware is also slightly different on the new bracket.I called OReilly store and all they could tell me was the computer showed that is the correct part. They can order the same part again, wait for two days to see if it different, or they will take the caliper back for a refund.

But now what to do?
I figure my options are:
1. Try somehow to break the guide pin free from the old bracket and re-use the old caliper. I am thinking my shop may be able to press the pin free??
2. Find and buy a caliper with bracket that actually works.
3. Find just the caliper bracket and re-use old caliper.

The closest Lexus dealer is 90 minutes form me, so would prefer a more local source.

From browsing Napa's website, it looks like they have two calipers with brackets (Nugeon and Eclipse). The Nugeon is $107 + core and does not include the pads. From pictures on the Napa site, it looks like it uses the same type of hardware as the original. the Eclipse is $104 + core and does include pads. There pictures for the Eclipse part do not illustrate the type of hardware.

Since I already have new pads, I do not see much advantage to the Eclipse.

The caliper brackets (without calipers) on Napa do not illustrate much, nor do they list a manufacturer. Price for those is $16 and $14 for the hardware kit and I still need guide pins and boots as well (where the caliper and bracket combo comes with guide pins and boots installed and the hardware kit included.)

I will try to get some photos posted tomorrow. Considering the age of vehicle cost is a consideration; but these are brakes, so spending a little extra for the new caliper is probably worthwhile. I am leaning towards the Nugeon caliper with bracket.

Has anyone been through this before, and know which parts work? Advice on best course of action?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-17, 07:20 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I got mine as a caliper and bracket set from Advance Auto. No issues.
Old 07-27-17, 08:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Check out salvage yards.

Res are now ending up there after 17yrs or so.

Salim
Old 07-28-17, 11:19 AM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The bracket from OReilly had a slot not as tall as the original. The brake pad tabs did not fit.
The bracket I removed (not sure if it is OEM or not) but the slot is about 1/8 inch taller.

Above are photos of the bracket I removed and the first one I purchased. I have since returned the OReilly part, and purchased an Eclipse label caliper with bracket from NAPA. They let me open the box and examine the bracket before I purchased. It appears the slot is tall like the original bracket. Hopefully will get to try it this weekend.
Old 07-28-17, 10:01 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Brush off the old bracket, hit it with some paint and reuse the old bracket with the new caliper. If the glide pin is seized, just torch it with a plumbing propane torch. When it starts smoking, work out the pin.