RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Passenger Door Stuck/Locked Closed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17 | 06:56 AM
redgt00
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Passenger Door Stuck/Locked Closed

Hey guys, I just recently joined the forum but have for a long time considered it a valuable resource for information when working on my wife's RX300. I've found the info on here to be extremely helpful!

This past weekend, I attempted the DIY door lock actuator fix for the rear passenger doors. I got everything out but was unable to open the plastic housing to get out the motor to replace it. I spent at least an hour trying to cut the thing open with a box cutter but eventually gave up. I found the entire assembly on ebay for only $15.

Anyways, I put everything back together (minus the screws to hold on the door panel) and closed the door to test the lock. Don't ask me why I closed the door to test it because I can't tell you what I was thinking.

Of course I immediately questioned why I did that and then soon found that I didn't put everything back together properly and am now stuck with a door that won't open. Neither the inside or outside handle will release the lock. Also, pushing on the lock indicator doesn't seem to unlock it either. It feels tight and doesn't work as it's supposed to. Worst part is, I put the panel on so can't access the lock assembly.

Any ideas on how to get the door open? I tried to remove the panel but don't think it'll come off with the door closed. I also searched all over and found that a couple people had the same issue, but never really said how they fixed it.
Definitely learned a lesson here but hoping someone can help.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-04-17 | 11:59 AM
salimshah

I think I came across a post where some one managed to get the back door panel off with minimal damage. If I run across it, I will post a link.

In the mean time see what you can manage to do with the cables.

I think you have tried, but by accident you could have left the child lock on and then only the inside lever can open the door.

Salim
Old 09-04-17 | 06:34 PM
redgt00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think I came across a post where some one managed to get the back door panel off with minimal damage. If I run across it, I will post a link.

In the mean time see what you can manage to do with the cables.

I think you have tried, but by accident you could have left the child lock on and then only the inside lever can open the door.

Salim
I appreciate the reply. Let me know if you find that post.
I'll mess around with it a bit more and see if I can maybe manipulate the cables to actuate the lock or something.
I've tried opening from both the inside and out with the handles, the locked/unlocked indicator, key fob etc. There must be a way!
Old 09-30-17 | 09:47 AM
redgt00
Driver School Candidate

Update:
Wife's door is still stuck closed. I've tried opening it every way that I can possibly think of. Neither the inside or outside handle work. I believe the latch is stuck in the closed position and that I didn't reattach it properly to anything for it to be able to unlock. Unfortunately, the door panel is on the car and I'm not able to get it off. I didn't put all the screws back in it, but I haven't had any luck with trying to pull it off with the door closed.

If anyone has anything else to try, please let me know!

Next step is to probably call a locksmith. After that, I suppose I'll have to cut off the panel to access the latch. Hopefully I can get a new panel for not too much money.

Appreciate any help!
Old 09-30-17 | 11:24 AM
redgt00
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I managed to get the door panel off without damaging it. I now have access to the innards of the door, but the door is still stuck shut.
From what I can tell by feeling/using a mirror, the latches and everything are working properly but for some reason the latch wont release.
The only thing wrong that I can tell is that the lock cable on the inside door handle feels like it's binding up. I'm able to move it with a bit of force but it doesn't unlock the door. Also, I'm not sure if the child safety locked is engaged or not. I'm guessing not, but it may be why I can't open the door from the outside. I'd think it would work from the inside still.

Think I'm going to call it a day but if anyone has any suggestion to try let me know.
Old 10-01-17 | 07:40 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

I think the child door lock switch is part of your issue but not the only issue.

What happens when you pull on the vertical lock switch next to the window? Does the lock switch at the handle also move? Does it feel like it is bound as well? When someone actuates the outside door handle, can you see it moving properly when looking inside the door?
Old 10-01-17 | 05:31 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

The child door lock safety mechanism prevents the inside door relelase lever from working but not the outside handle. However, I guess its possible if it isn't replaced/installed properly, it could prevent everything from working. If you come up empty, try the dealer - they've seen thousands of these cars and have probably come across something similar in the last 18 years that the car has been on the market.
Old 10-01-17 | 05:48 PM
redgt00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
I think the child door lock switch is part of your issue but not the only issue.

What happens when you pull on the vertical lock switch next to the window? Does the lock switch at the handle also move? Does it feel like it is bound as well? When someone actuates the outside door handle, can you see it moving properly when looking inside the door?
I'm not sure what the vertical lock switch is. On the inside, the only lock switch is the one near the handle. It flips between black and red. The cable attached to the lock mechanism here feels bound up.

Pulling the cable attached to the inside door handle appears to move the mechanism to open the door. Same with the outside handle. I can see everything moving in there, just not opening the door.

I would hope that even if the child lock is on, that I could still open the door from the outside.

Not too sure what my next step is. Probably mess around with it some more.
Old 10-01-17 | 09:23 PM
salimshah

Mechanical binding or two systems fighting each other could be the cause.

Try disconnecting the connector to the actuator to eliminate fight.

Salim
Old 10-26-19 | 04:49 PM
Boca300
Driver School Candidate

New member here. Have the same issue here with the locked rear door. Pretty sure I know what I did wrong in replacing the mechanisms. Watched YouTube video for most of install and started. Replaced it, secured door panel and closed door. Tested and actuator worked the door button but door was still locked. Nothing worked. Tried several things then went back to video and realized I missed something - didn't attach vertical bar inside door to mechanism (video didn't mention disconnecting it first and I was able to remove the unit with no issue). The door could be locked & unlocked manually before this repair so the 'bar' must have been attached prior. Anyway, I'm stuck! Has anyone been able to "Jimmy" the rear door open? Or am I left with cutting the door panel open to reach inside and hopefully attach the 'bar' to open - then buying a replacement panel on eBay?
Old 10-26-19 | 05:05 PM
Boca300
Driver School Candidate

These pics are the parts I didn't ensure were connected prior to testing or closing up the door panel. Closed the door and now locked out! Guess I'm now going up that proverbial creek! Has anyone done this and 'survived' ! Any way to open the door without destroying the panel?
Old 11-09-19 | 12:21 PM
Boca300
Driver School Candidate

Well, just a follow-up..... I was able to "jimmy" the door open with a piece of flat bar from Home Depot. Practiced on the passenger side with inside panel off to judge the depth, positioning and slight bend to the bar in order to push down on the lock mechanism. What a sigh of relief!
Took a little time to hit it right.
Sorry for such large photos! You can see my original attempt (1st photo - in a hurry), I missed lining up the pin. 2nd shows correct position. The bar just fit in the very back corner but a major sigh of relief when the door opened!

WRONG! Missed the pin!

That's the ticket!

Tight squeeze ....
The following users liked this post:
maxSteel (11-10-19)
Old 11-09-19 | 05:27 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Great idea and excellent pix! Thanks for your efforts and for posting!
Old 12-15-19 | 02:22 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Just looking for some advice form you guys who have had problems....my rear driver door....the outside handle pulls freely like its not connected to anything, same with the inside handle moves freely like its attached to nothing. im afraid to take the door apart not knowing what it is and not being able to shut and lock it again. given the information of both handles acting the same way someone out there should be able to tell me whats broken !i hope...
Old 12-15-19 | 05:53 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bryceis250
Just looking for some advice form you guys who have had problems....my rear driver door....the outside handle pulls freely like its not connected to anything, same with the inside handle moves freely like its attached to nothing. im afraid to take the door apart not knowing what it is and not being able to shut and lock it again. given the information of both handles acting the same way someone out there should be able to tell me whats broken !i hope...
There are two independent link that operate the release and they go to 'door lock actuator" [the assembly that latches on the door jamb hook. The door lock can be in the lock position that makes the release free.

IN either case, you have to open the door panel and get to the lock actuator and then determine what has gone wrong.

Salim

Quick Reply: Rear Passenger Door Stuck/Locked Closed