RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Double unlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 08:51 AM
Trekrider2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double unlock

Hi, first post here... I looked extensively through other posts for anything remotely related to my problem, but no success. I changed the lock actuator on the front right door. The remote works, basically everything works... except... when that door is closed, AND the key is in the ignition (car does not need to be running, nor the key in any particular position, ie off, ACC, on, or running), all the door locks do a double unlock... click click. No other door does this. If I have the key out of the ignition, closing the door does nothing, it just closes and latches properly. I disconnected the battery for almost an hour based on some ideas from these forums, but it did not change anything. Ideas?
Old 10-18-17, 02:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Loose connection/short?
Old 10-18-17, 02:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekrider2
Hi, first post here... I looked extensively through other posts for anything remotely related to my problem, but no success. I changed the lock actuator on the front right door. The remote works, basically everything works... except... when that door is closed, AND the key is in the ignition (car does not need to be running, nor the key in any particular position, ie off, ACC, on, or running), all the door locks do a double unlock... click click. No other door does this. If I have the key out of the ignition, closing the door does nothing, it just closes and latches properly. I disconnected the battery for almost an hour based on some ideas from these forums, but it did not change anything. Ideas?
Undo what you did. Still same issue? Trouble-shooting start from this point.
Old 10-18-17, 03:10 PM
Trekrider2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions. Here the additional testing I have done: (the door in question is the passenger door)
1) Removed the switches from the driver's door. No change in the problem
2) With the driver's side restored, I removed the switches on the passenger door. As expected, the problem did not appear.
3) I opened up the door and reseated all the connectors to the actuator. No change in problem
4) contacted the actuator supplier (which turns out to be an aftermarket supplier) and they are sending me a new actuator. Stay tuned, ETA = 3 days.
5) contacted Lexus and they don't sell just the actuator, but the whole assembly for $581, plus tax.
I will replace the actuator when to new one comes in. I only paid $18 via Amazon.
Old 10-21-17, 02:33 PM
Trekrider2
Driver School Candidate

While waiting for the new actuator I did another test. With the door open, I used a screwdriver to manually trip the latch as if the door was closed. This did not trigger the double unlock but the on the dash I can see that the door open indicator is still showing that the door is open. When I actually close the door, it triggers the double unlock and the door indicator shows the door closed. So how does the system know that the door is closed when the position of the latch does not control this? Is there something in the door jam?
Old 10-21-17, 06:27 PM
Trekrider2
Driver School Candidate

Replaced the actuator. No change.
Old 10-23-17, 09:40 AM
Trekrider2
Driver School Candidate

In my continued effort to resolve this, I've tried to define the problem more.
  • the double lock occurs only when the key is in the ignition (running or not) and the passenger door is closed. If doors are locked, then closing the passenger door will double unlock all four doors. If the doors are not locked, it will redundantly double unlock all doors anyway.
  • if I remove the passenger door window/lock control panel, there is no double unlock. Nothing happens when I close the passenger door
  • replacing the passenger door window/lock control panel and removing the driver's side control panel, closing the passenger door results in a double unlock
  • I do all this removing and unplugging with the battery connected.
  • One time, reconnecting the passenger door control panel triggered the car alarm
  • One time, closing the passenger door locked all four doors. As I had the key in the ignition I was lucky to have a second key outside the car
My gut tells me that the lock control logic (computer) is scrambled and needs to be reset. When the key is in the ignition and door is closed, the logic should be, "if doors locked and key is in the ignition, then unlock doors". So, it seems that the computer thinks this is the case.

I read that the security system can be re-set, but the procedure requires a "non-remote master key." I have two identical black keys, each with the three remote buttons, lock, unlock and panic. I have one grey non-remote key, the valet key. I probably have the wallet key somewhere. I never had a black key without the remote buttons.

Can someone confirm how to reset the security system and where I can get this non-remote master key.
Old 11-04-17, 05:03 PM
Trekrider2
Driver School Candidate

Update. I broke down and had Lexus fix the problem. They replaced to whole door lock actuator assembly, which is the only way Lexus does it. The problem is now gone. The actuator that I got, after market was, on close examination, physically different than the original and while the actuator functioned, it proved to be incompatible with the BCU and resulted in the remote keys not working or double unlock cycling when the door was closed and the key in the ignition. My guess is that Lexus has numerous suppliers of this locking mechanism, each with slightly different parts with only the overall assembly conforming to the Lexus spec, but not the parts. So replacing just the actuator is a crap shoot that your replacement is the same. I have no idea how to spec the correct actuator, as Lexus does not declare a part number for it, just for the whole assembly and as I found out, these vary. Net $820 to have Lexus fix the problem. Ouch!
Old 11-04-17, 07:39 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

The piggy back method is cheap and easy. I'm not sure why so many guys fight to fix this one OE style.