RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 09:35 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by garylatl
I have a 2001 RX AWD that needs a new engine. Are you still working on these?
A bit confusing post.

First decide who is going to do the swap. Let that person/entity procure the engine for you. If you purchase the engine and give it to some one to install, you are responsible for exchange/warranty and pay the mechanic the second time for labor.

Salim

Old 03-10-23, 09:48 AM
garylatl
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
A bit confusing post.

First decide who is going to do the swap. Let that person/entity procure the engine for you. If you purchase the engine and give it to some one to install, you are responsible for exchange/warranty and pay the mechanic the second time for labor.

Salim
Not meant to be confusing. Was replying to Tim73's comment. His location is listed in Georgia, so I was hoping to contact him to see if he had any suggestions. Thanks for your reply, though.
Old 03-13-23, 04:35 AM
tim73
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garylatl
I have a 2001 RX AWD that needs a new engine. Are you still working on these?
I do, but life is crazy now. Prolly be a few months before I could do it.
Old 03-13-23, 06:42 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just out of curiosity... if someone decides to replace the engine with a rebuilt one for around $4000 to $5000, what happens if the RX300 needs a new transmission a few months down the road? I assume that rebuilt transmission will also cost $3000 to $5000 installed?

will it not be a better idea to procure a rebuilt engine and transmission at the same time and replace them together? That will surely save quite a bit of money on labor?

I agree that it's better to let a shop source the replacement engine and install it there... that way, it will be much easier to resolve any warranty issues. I had a rear differential replaced by an independent shop. A local Toyota dealer wanted over $2000 installed(with a remanufactured differential) The indepent shop only charged me $600 for a rebuilt differential and labor. It came with a 12-month 12-mile warranty. That was several years ago and it's still working fine as of today.
Old 03-14-23, 08:01 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by titangummy
just out of curiosity... if someone decides to replace the engine with a rebuilt one for around $4000 to $5000, what happens if the RX300 needs a new transmission a few months down the road? I assume that rebuilt transmission will also cost $3000 to $5000 installed?

will it not be a better idea to procure a rebuilt engine and transmission at the same time and replace them together? That will surely save quite a bit of money on labor?

I agree that it's better to let a shop source the replacement engine and install it there... that way, it will be much easier to resolve any warranty issues. I had a rear differential replaced by an independent shop. A local Toyota dealer wanted over $2000 installed(with a remanufactured differential) The indepent shop only charged me $600 for a rebuilt differential and labor. It came with a 12-month 12-mile warranty. That was several years ago and it's still working fine as of today.
Whenever you analyze a problem, the best way is to approach it with a realistic assumption. What I am trying to state is if there is evidence or even likely situation that both the engine and transmission need replacement, then the scenario is totally different as apposed to incrementally being forced into engine first and then few months later the transmission. To put it bluntly, it is lot better to walk away from investing 7K (or over) in a vehicle which is worth 2K or less in blue book value. [this is just an example .. exaggerated for sure]. RX first gen is about 23 yrs old.

Salim
Old 03-15-23, 02:18 AM
PorchDawg
Driver

JDM engines would be an excellent option. A 1MZ AWD engine in the 60-70k mile range will (very likely) outast the RX. You can buy a low mileage 1MZ attached to a U140F transmission for about 2k$. Often free ship. Or local. JDM has generous locations.
Generally the quality of a good condition Lexus justifies repairing them if approached carefully.
The flip side is whatever $5k car you buy will be a crapshoot.
I bought a JDM Subaru motor and an RX300 AWD transmission and for sure the Subie engine was excellent. Just completed the RX transmission swap. The transmission also appears to be excellent. JDM has a good record for serviceable engines and trans for Toyota based cars. Never buy a Honda JDM trans without researching compatibility.
A well maintained RX engine will go 300k.
My 'sorry' OEM transmission went 220k.
You've gotta consider if the condition of the rest of your car makes it a keeper. If not...?
Should you go JDM, be advised that you must specify AWD for both enginecm and trans for your RX.
There are no "remanufactured" Japanese engines as good as OEM.
That said, your mileage may vary! Beware of unskilled mechanics with your project. It ain't a DIY project. Not for most folk.
Good luck and apologies for the epistle!
Old 03-15-23, 06:28 AM
salimshah

PorchDawg alluded to something that I totally overlooked. If any one has the time, skill, capability and resource to save labor and put in time, and stomach for some risk then the equation changes.

I stand corrected.

Salim
Old 03-15-23, 07:45 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by NYJim
The engine is gone completely; it cannot be saved. A used engine from a junkyard with about 100,000 miles on it will cost about $3,500 and a brand new rebuilt engine with zero miles on it will cost about $4,800. Those prices include the engine, additional parts and labor. Those prices are lower than two other shops that quoted me. This particular shop does excellent work, so I am not worried about having problems with the engine after another engine is installed; it is only the cost of other repairs that may be needed that concerns me.

Prior to this engine failure, there were no known issues. I put over 50,000 miles on this vehicle in the past two years and there was never a problem in any weather condition, even deep snow.

A junkyard offered me $275 for the car right now, as is. The car has 140,000 original miles and overall is in very good condition. I am leaning toward junking it because of the cost and the cost of future repairs. Any advice would be appreciated.

What do you think the value will be the street value after repair?
Do you need a replacement and if yes consider the risks (keep them reasonable) and compare it against where you will be assuming you repaired the vehicle.
Any analysis as to what caused the engine loss? Can that issue happen after repair and even with a replacement.

My questions are for you to think over and need not be answered here.

Salim
Old 03-20-23, 03:16 AM
tim73
Rookie

Originally Posted by PorchDawg
JDM engines would be an excellent option. A 1MZ AWD engine in the 60-70k mile range will (very likely) outast the RX. You can buy a low mileage 1MZ attached to a U140F transmission for about 2k$. Often free ship. Or local. JDM has generous locations.
Generally the quality of a good condition Lexus justifies repairing them if approached carefully.
The flip side is whatever $5k car you buy will be a crapshoot.
I bought a JDM Subaru motor and an RX300 AWD transmission and for sure the Subie engine was excellent. Just completed the RX transmission swap. The transmission also appears to be excellent. JDM has a good record for serviceable engines and trans for Toyota based cars. Never buy a Honda JDM trans without researching compatibility.
A well maintained RX engine will go 300k.
My 'sorry' OEM transmission went 220k.
You've gotta consider if the condition of the rest of your car makes it a keeper. If not...?
Should you go JDM, be advised that you must specify AWD for both enginecm and trans for your RX.
There are no "remanufactured" Japanese engines as good as OEM.
That said, your mileage may vary! Beware of unskilled mechanics with your project. It ain't a DIY project. Not for most folk.
Good luck and apologies for the epistle!
In my experience, the JDM engine swap in my RX wasn’t too bad. When I was finished it ran perfect, no CEL or any issues. Toyotas in general are engineered pretty well. But you have to take your time. There’s a few nuances when using a JDM, so will say this. I’ve installed Honda Toyota and Mazda(nightmare) JDM.

Most shops aren’t going to be able to spend the amount of time necessary to do it right. so they won’t issue a warranty if you provide the JDM. They are looking to get the job done as quick and easily as possible…with the least amount of chance for a come back. Which is why they want to source their own parts etc. however, you saving $ is not on their top priority list. I totally understand their point of view. However, a DIY on the other hand can take the time to research and figure out the little differences a JDM will present.