RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Axle sliding in boot

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 04:11 PM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Axle sliding in boot

As I mentioned in another post, my right front control arm bushing is shot. When I looked at the action in the arm from flexing the tire, I saw that as the control arm moved, the axle did too - in and out of the inner boot. This struck me as strange. When I looked it up it seems like on a Toyota anyway, the inner boot is clamped in between two ridges on the axle and therefore shouldn't move.

Does a 99 Rx300 2WD inner boot clamp like that? I thought it was ripped but now I am not so sure. I don't know how to check if the grease has run out but there is no clicking. Any info about this situation would be appreciated.

Last edited by Puttster; 12-16-17 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 04:16 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

The CV joints have flex and the inner joint has lateral travel. The wheels try to move up and down and not follow an arc. Change is length is perfectly normal.

Regarding grease, if the boots have no rip and the clamps are in position, then you have nothing to worry about.

Salim
Old 12-16-17, 04:49 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Old 12-20-17, 10:36 AM
Puttster
Driver

While I had the wheel off to replace the strut I got a closer look. I'm thinking the strut clanking around for so long wore out the control arm bushing. The back-and-forth of the control arm (which was a lot) pushed and pulled the axle and did this to the boot. Just a theory though.
Attached Thumbnails Axle sliding in boot-cv-joint.jpg  
Old 12-20-17, 12:41 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Every revolution it goes thru stretch and compress and if the wheel is pushed way up or way down the flex is extended. The front also get impacted by steering left or right. Compound that with extreme cold and the boot becomes ridged.

Salim

Your picture shows inner boot. that gets fractional impact of steering.
Old 12-21-17, 12:48 PM
Puttster
Driver

I think the torn boot is recent because the axle is not giving any problem yet. My next job on that side is replacing the control arm. I might hold off on replacing the axle until a driving issue comes up. For one thing, it looks like there is not much labor savings from combining an axle job with the control arm job. Also, axle looks like a much more serious job than control arm and my confidence level is only C- . ???
Old 12-21-17, 12:57 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Puttster
I think the torn boot is recent because the axle is not giving any problem yet. My next job on that side is replacing the control arm. I might hold off on replacing the axle until a driving issue comes up. For one thing, it looks like there is not much labor savings from combining an axle job with the control arm job. Also, axle looks like a much more serious job than control arm and my confidence level is only C- . ???
When you do control arm, you just have to do lilt more effort for the shaft (as long as you purchasing a full replacement). If you plan to do the repair do it immediately on the boot. The grease by now would have been flung out and deterioration has already started. If you wait, then replacement will be the only option. I did the OEN boot replacement which requires further disassembly. You can look for clamshell boots where 2 halves are glued together .. (with grease inside I dont know how you can get the glue to stick.)
I keep reminding you that every time you open up the front suspension you would need alignment ,,, all the more reason to do it together. Else you will be needing new tires too.

Salim
Old 12-21-17, 03:02 PM
Puttster
Driver

Oh yes, I would replace the whole shaft. I have looked for our DIY for axle replacement without success. Other sites do not make the job look easy, there is one with the subject "Help I Cant Get The Axle Out in 99 - 03 Lexus RX300" !

Half boot might work; I can see why it would be better than just leaving the poor thing open. Maybe putting a piece of heater hose on the axle and banding or ziptying would work for a while...
Old 12-23-17, 05:27 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, if the boot is torn, then CV joint inside the boot is likely in bad condition also. Putting a split boot over it is patching broken bone with BandAid.
Old 12-23-17, 09:50 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Well, if the boot is torn, then CV joint inside the boot is likely in bad condition also. Putting a split boot over it is patching broken bone with BandAid.
It depends upon how quick you get to it. In my case I noticed the grease being spun out very quickly. During repair the joint did come apart on me and my first attempt to put it back was not right. So glad that I checked before installing it.

Salim
Old 12-31-17, 04:52 AM
Puttster
Driver

To follow up, my repair of a few weeks ago was to use a few wrappings of Gorilla tape and a hose clamp. I looked at it today and it was holding so I enhanced the repair. I cleaned the area, smeared some Locktite adhesive on the boot and used one-foot sections of silicone self-bonding tape to stretch-wrap the injured area, using the entire roll. As I went I warmed with a heat gun and pressed on the tape to help make sure it self-bonded. I'll check in a few weeks to see if the bandaid is holding.

On edit one week later: boot repair is holding just fine. That silicone tape is definitely the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails Axle sliding in boot-cv-boot-repair.jpg  

Last edited by Puttster; 01-08-18 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Add pic of boot
Old 12-31-17, 08:32 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

The snap ring provides the resistance from slipping out. That is why it is recommended to be replaced.

Salim

PS: When installed at both ends the snap ring provides resistance and the joint provides the flex (in rotation and length)