RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Electrical Malfunctions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 01:00 PM
candyfight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Malfunctions

Hi y'all,

My 2000 RX 300 has been portraying a few odd electrical malfunctions. When I purchased it nearly a year ago, these things worked fine.

Firstly, the washer fluid was coming out just fine. A month or two later, it stopped spraying. When I try to use it, I can hear it clicking however, nothing is coming out. Yes, there is washer fluid in the reservoir.

Secondly, all the windows went up and down smoothly. Now, the front passenger window will not come back up after it goes down. The motor makes a clicking noise inside the passenger door when the button is pressed to send the window up. It takes several attempts for the window to go back up. Sometimes, it starts sliding up but slides back down(super suspenseful when I think it finally worked.) This issue became progressively worse over the months and occurs whether using the driver's switch or front passenger switch.

Thirdly, the front windshield wipers start running FOR NO REASON. The wipers will be set in the off position but they still come on. This issue started after someone side-swiped my vehicle taking the antenna off(antenna was bent and wouldn't go down any further than the last gradation.) Not sure if that incident has contributed to this particular malfunction but, the cord is dangling on the side of my vehicle(will replace antenna soon.)

Other information:
The battery was replaced 2 weeks prior to antenna incident. With the old battery, there was quite a bit of corrosion around the terminals.

The dealer had the radiator replaced before selling the vehicle. I'm aware the washer pump is near the radiator...something about loose hoses...I don't know.

When I purchased the vehicle, there was an "extra" master switch for the windows and locks which goes on the driver's side. I found it under one of the seats. Not sure if it's the old switch that had already been replaced. Or, if the dealer knew there was a window issue and was going to replace the master switch. The latter doesn't make sense because the problem lies somewhere on the passenger side.

No, I haven't checked any fuses yet.

Yes, I don't know what I'm doing but I can learn how to fix these issues. Please help me Thanks!
Old 01-22-18, 01:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Washer motor is at the bottom of the reservoir. Open up the bottom covering in front to the passenger side wheel and the bumper. Check for voltage and reverse voltage when the washer is engaged [front and the rear]. If you have voltage then check the pump motor.

Search on resetting the pinch protection circuit, on the web or in your owners manual. Read through the sticky threads.

Salim
Old 01-23-18, 01:32 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thirdly,
I would think it must actually be the stalk itself broken i have heard of indicator stalks wearing out in other cars but rain sensors aren't in first generation to my knowledge or not in mine.
Old 01-23-18, 06:12 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by candyfight
Secondly, all the windows went up and down smoothly. Now, the front passenger window will not come back up after it goes down. The motor makes a clicking noise inside the passenger door when the button is pressed to send the window up. It takes several attempts for the window to go back up. Sometimes, it starts sliding up but slides back down(super suspenseful when I think it finally worked.) This issue became progressively worse over the months and occurs whether using the driver's switch or front passenger switch.

When I purchased the vehicle, there was an "extra" master switch for the windows and locks which goes on the driver's side. I found it under one of the seats. Not sure if it's the old switch that had already been replaced. Or, if the dealer knew there was a window issue and was going to replace the master switch. The latter doesn't make sense because the problem lies somewhere on the passenger side.
Does the passenger window behave the same way when operated from the driver side and passenger side? If so, it sounds like the motor on the window regulator is going bad. On RX300's the motor is purchased separate from the regulator apparatus.
If not, it is very likely the relay on the window switch is bad on the side that has trouble operating the window.
Old 01-23-18, 07:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
Thirdly,
I would think it must actually be the stalk itself broken i have heard of indicator stalks wearing out in other cars but rain sensors aren't in first generation to my knowledge or not in mine.
Translation to US English
Indicator -> turn signal

Salim
Old 01-23-18, 03:50 PM
xiang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had an issue with the water not spraying...turns out the nozzles were just clogged. Try poking the nozzle holes (3 per nozzle) with a tiny pin. Something simple to try before digging into the rest of it.