RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1MZ-FE with VVT an interference engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 09:55 AM
murphysf
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1MZ-FE with VVT an interference engine?

Hello

I read somewhere that the 1MZ-FE engine is not an interference engine however the 1MZ-FE engines that have VVT are interference engines. And also heard that the 1MZ-FE with VVT is NOT a interference engine.

So looking to sort this out.

Has there been know valve damage to a RX300 with a broken timing belt?
Old 02-02-18, 10:51 AM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

The thought process is that VVTI can make the valve timing such that it can potentially hit the pistons once the synchronization is no longer being enforced with the timing belt.

On lexus V8 engines with VVTI, there are known cases of the interference.

On RX300 some data is available that there was no damage to the piston-valve when the timing belt broke. Some attribute it to the rpm being low.

Belt can break in many ways, and the worst is when the end snaps off and then the thing is whipped around and the timing belt cover gets destroyed.

My philosophy is change the belt on time. Most likely you will do this twice in your ownership. If you get to do it the third time .. great for you! by postponing you essentially do not get to skip one. Compare that to oil change .. where over long term ownership you can save about 5-10 services.

Other thing to consider is the drive train of the belt. Rollers are lubed for life and their life is not indefinite. Mine started turning blue when I did the first service at 90k. Although the tensioner needs examination and can be reused, but I change that too as the additional cost is relatively low and it is the leading cause of belt skipping teeth.

Good luck with your quest to find the answer, but my 2c says not worth pursuing.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
murphysf (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 10:58 AM
murphysf
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The thought process is that VVTI can make the valve timing such that it can potentially hit the pistons once the synchronization is no longer being enforced with the timing belt.

On lexus V8 engines with VVTI, there are known cases of the interference.

On RX300 some data is available that there was no damage to the piston-valve when the timing belt broke. Some attribute it to the rpm being low.

Belt can break in many ways, and the worst is when the end snaps off and then the thing is whipped around and the timing belt cover gets destroyed.

My philosophy is change the belt on time. Most likely you will do this twice in your ownership. If you get to do it the third time .. great for you! by postponing you essentially do not get to skip one. Compare that to oil change .. where over long term ownership you can save about 5-10 services.

Other thing to consider is the drive train of the belt. Rollers are lubed for life and their life is not indefinite. Mine started turning blue when I did the first service at 90k. Although the tensioner needs examination and can be reused, but I change that too as the additional cost is relatively low and it is the leading cause of belt skipping teeth.

Good luck with your quest to find the answer, but my 2c says not worth pursuing.

Salim
thanks for the reply, the nature of my question sounds like I am trying to postpone the belt change, its actually in a shop right now getting it changed along with the water pump and cam and crank seals.

I just wanted to explore the topic but will take your advise and not pursue the conversation (there are other things to worry about).

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-18, 08:37 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Lexus• 2.5L Non-Interference
• 3.0L V6 Non-Interference
• 3.3L V6 Non-Interference
• 3.0L Inline 6 (1992-97) Non-Interference
• 3.0L Inline 6 VVT-i (1998-2006) Interference
• 4.0L Interference
• 4.3L Interference
• 4.7L Interference
http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/inte...complete-list/
Old 02-03-18, 08:38 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

INLINE is the key word for VVT-I engine. You have transverse V engine.
Old 02-04-18, 12:45 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Agree with Salim....not worth pursuing. Have been reading responses to this question for at least a decade. Hotly debated by many with impressive credentials but no clear consensus.