RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

lexus RX300 not moving

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 03:00 AM
Philomen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lexus RX300 not moving

Lexus RX 300 doesn't move, no dashboard light but it is idling. Please what do I do?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Philomen; 03-09-18 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-09-18, 08:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Can you rove through the gears with the gear selector?

Put it in N and push the beast back and forth [make sure you can return to spot where you want the vehicle to stay].

Check transmission fluid level.

Call a transmission shop.

Salim
Old 03-12-18, 01:20 AM
Philomen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Put it in N and push the beast back and forth [make sure you can return to spot where you want the vehicle to stay].

Salim
Thank you so much Salim. I called the transmission shop and everything is ok now.
Old 03-12-18, 06:35 AM
salimshah

What was the issue?

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Pappa62 (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 11:51 AM
Pappa62
2nd gear

What was the issue?

Salim
Did I find out what the issue was ad I had the exact thing happen. I can't figure out what it is. Would really be helpful to know. Thanks Al
Old 01-13-23, 11:57 AM
Pappa62
2nd gear

Default Ph

Originally Posted by Philomen
Thank you so much Salim. I called the transmission shop and everything is ok now.
what was it may I ask? I'm having the same issues and noone has been able to help just say transmission. We cannot afford new tranny so would really help if knew what was wrong with yours .
Thank you!!! Al

Salim
Old 01-21-23, 09:00 PM
GHBabie
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pappa62
what was it may I ask? I'm having the same issues and noone has been able to help just say transmission. We cannot afford new tranny so would really help if knew what was wrong with yours .
Thank you!!! Al
My issue had a more extended onset than this post implies, but I was able to change my filter and fluid and she's been solid for a few thousand miles now. I believe I gave an overview in one of my last threads.
Old 01-31-23, 09:29 PM
PorchDawg
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RX300 2002 Trans Relearn?

Had the same "no move" but due to a destroyed planet gear. Bought a JDM replacement transmission and now in the process of installing same. Tidy bit of work.
Question relates to ECM relearn. My ECM had no trans related codes. Only found a stored "center airbag sensor" that self resolved.
What is the process for (if required) of relearning the replacement transmission? It's an identical transmission so I'm told. Requires removing the end cover and swapping with my cover for the motor mount.
Was held up trying to find.a new internal solenoid wiring harness. All backorder. I might remove same from my dead transmission. The new transmission solenoid plug was damaged in shipment. It could be used, but sealing up could be an issue.
I'm new to this site and will try to keep up with any response.
RX has 220k, and about 2 months ago changed the teams oil and filter. Found two metal parts that appeared to be planetary gear teeth chips. No other metal and fluid and filter were clean, not burnt. Trans shifted as well as ever. Knew than it had an issue. It got me home, but once parked never moved an inch after that. Engin seems perfect. Car is quite nice. We bought it new in 2002. Best a jewel.
Thanks for any info!

Old 02-01-23, 07:08 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PorchDawg
Had the same "no move" but due to a destroyed planet gear. Bought a JDM replacement transmission and now in the process of installing same. Tidy bit of work.
Question relates to ECM relearn. My ECM had no trans related codes. Only found a stored "center airbag sensor" that self resolved.
What is the process for (if required) of relearning the replacement transmission? It's an identical transmission so I'm told. Requires removing the end cover and swapping with my cover for the motor mount.
Was held up trying to find.a new internal solenoid wiring harness. All backorder. I might remove same from my dead transmission. The new transmission solenoid plug was damaged in shipment. It could be used, but sealing up could be an issue.
I'm new to this site and will try to keep up with any response.
RX has 220k, and about 2 months ago changed the teams oil and filter. Found two metal parts that appeared to be planetary gear teeth chips. No other metal and fluid and filter were clean, not burnt. Trans shifted as well as ever. Knew than it had an issue. It got me home, but once parked never moved an inch after that. Engin seems perfect. Car is quite nice. We bought it new in 2002. Best a jewel.
Thanks for any info!
I'm not sure which transmission you have but wittrans has the various harness types for a U140E and U140F.
https://www.wittrans.com/parts?type=..._case&part=446

Old 02-01-23, 11:14 PM
PorchDawg
Driver

Originally Posted by maxSteel
I'm not sure which transmission you have but wittrans has the various harness types for a U140E and U140F.
Thanks much! I think they have a storefront in Charlotte, NC. I'll check with them.
Hendricks ordered the harness, but after being on b/o for a month and no est ship date, they returned the payment. The harness is listed everywhere, but so far not available.
Any opinions on the ECM? I've read that if the same transmission type is reinstalled, abd the ECM is functioning, it works. with a U140F AWD unit.
I might pull the harness out of my takeout and have a look. So far all of the wiring under the hood feels good. Used to working with GM crap wiring. Lexus build is impressive.
Old 02-03-23, 08:45 AM
salimshah

I would have no hesitation is using the old harness as long as the connectors are clean and the tension relief are in good order. The only time I would insist on replacement is if the insulation has been exposed to excessive heat [the wires + insulation] is stiff.

I think you can cover all of the above by a good physical evaluation. If you get a harness as a part of the kit, then it is a no-brainer to use the new one.

Salim
Knock sensor harness is exposed to heat and that one must be replaced]
Old 02-06-23, 05:53 PM
PorchDawg
Driver

I would have no hesitation is using the old harness as long as the connectors are clean and the tension relief are in good order. The only time I would insist on replacement is if the insulation has been exposed to excessive heat [the wires + insulation] is stiff.

I think you can cover all of the above by a good physical evaluation. If you get a harness as a part of the kit, then it is a no-brainer to use the new one.

Salim
Plan to pull the old harness from the takeout...which is now out. Separate tomorrow and see what i have to work with.

Old 02-06-23, 06:12 PM
salimshah

Please please replace the rear main seal when you reattach the transmission.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (02-06-23)
Old 02-07-23, 06:03 AM
PorchDawg
Driver

Salim
Please please replace the rear main seal when you reattach the transmission.

Salim
Thanks Was weighing that. Are Lexus rear main seals Teflon coated?
Assuming that the rear main R&R requires removal of the seal carrier? I can remove it, but unsure of reinstall.
Although everything is functioning well (except trans) replacing alternator, AC compressor, all motor mounts with OEM, spark plugs, PCV, valve cover gaskets, and now weighing the rear main seal. Resealing transfer case and drivers side diff, and new front pump seal.
completed the 220k major service 5000 miles ago.
Question, is there any throttle body tricks? Bores are easy, but any other passages cause problems. Car ran excellently.
I'm not a Lexus mechanic, but a retired rice burner mechanic. Just need the fine points...?
Club Lexus postings have been very helpful.
Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Old 02-13-23, 07:01 PM
PorchDawg
Driver

Default Found the "No Move" Thingy

Front drive planetary shucked its guts. The gears are intact, but the aluminum hub cracked about a 3rd off. Ground up aluminum everywhere.
Removed the needed solenoid harness without issue and found it to be in good condition. The transmission has 220k, but all seals dry, friction plates that I removed still have the serrations.
Removed the rear cover for the motor mount. Looks clean and no issues there.
Hope the JDM transmission is good...? Good bit of work in this project.

Quick Reply: lexus RX300 not moving