RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keyless entry compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 11:55 PM
Morgan128
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry compatibility

I recently acquired my first Lexus 2000 RX300 and was only given one combo master key, and one single transponder key. I am not fond of the combo key... call me old fashioned, but I would prefer to have a separate remote and key on my keychain. Anyway, when I purchased the car I was told I could buy a single transmitter on eBay and program it to use with my transponder key rather than the combo key. I have been looking and cannot seem to find a compatible remote that matches the fcc my key has, I just keep getting the same combo key result. I emailed my dealer who suggested this, and was informed the numbers will be different if it’s a Toyota remote, but will still work the same. He of course couldn’t suggest any part number when asked which seemed a bit off, and before I spend any money buying random Toyota remotes, does anyone have any advice or input on if this is possible, and if so what part or fcc number I should be looking for that would be compatible?
Old 04-24-18, 03:48 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd recommend you get a 2nd master key, as a spare in case something happens to the first one.

If you really want to be really "old-fashioned" about it, use the valet key (not locking the glove box), and don't use new-fangled remotes at all. I don't use my valet key, but I seem to recall that the only thing it doesn't lock/unlock is the glove box.
Old 04-28-18, 12:02 PM
OilMemes
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know if this is an investment you want to make for your car, but on my 2001 Lexus RX300 I recently had a Viper 5706v security system installed, which has its own key fob separate from the built-in remote system. You could in theory have this system and simply remove the coin-cell battery from your combo ignition key (as I have done) so the buttons won't do anything, which wouldn't hurt you as the functions of locking and unlocking the doors and trunk would be taken over by the security system instead and the immobilizer ability to recognize the key in ignition will not be affected.
Old 05-22-18, 01:28 PM
Morgan128
Driver School Candidate

Default Confusion Solved! Thanks guys!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! It wasn’t so much about being old school, or even wanting a key fob at all, but I wakeboard and go off-roading a lot, and manly wanted a waterproof key to avoid water damage since I wear my key on a necklace when active outdoors, This is my first Lexus, and having exclusively driven Mercedes my whole life which have a single slide out metal key which detached from the electronics, which worked perfect for my outdoor lifestyle without worry of screwing up my electronics, but these all in one keys toy/lex used are a pain if you’re super active, and around water a lot without a safe place to leave your keys behind. It appears, or rather is obvious that my Lexus dealer informed me incorrectly regarding the fob. (Should’ve just asked here for accurate answers, lol) I was told, and under the impression that the single key needed a transmitter remote attached to the ring for a single (non combo) key to not trigger the Immobilizer, according to Lexus that is, even being told my valet key needed a fob on it, which raised an eyebrow and a BS meter on my end. I never used the valet, and gave the benifit of the doubt, but after thinking how stupid that sounded I went home, and realized my valet key doesn’t need a separate remote with a “chip” and it worked without a fob just fine. so I assumed that it already had a chip, like every other car I know of. After some choice words with Lexus and threatening to cancel my GX order they ended up informing me of their key system, apologized for the error, and delivered 2 single transponder keys to my office free of charge, as well as a free second master combo key since It only had 1, which elimates any worry of losing my only master for future reprogramming, all in all, I suppose that makes up for the lack of misinformation. Lexus service can be awesome when it’s free, but the advice of you all is hands down the best! Thanks for entertaining my naïve questions, you guys rock 👍🏼
Old 05-22-18, 04:36 PM
Impatient
Driver School Candidate

I HIGHLY agree with bob2200, if anything happens to that master key you're looking at double the cost of replacement, I'm going through it right now. I'm only left with the valet key, it's going to cost me $700 to have my computer pulled out and a new master key coded. If I had at least one master key they could have coded a second for only $300.