RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Installing a new Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 08:32 AM
JustJack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Installing a new Radio

Recently I installed a radio in a 2004 RX330, a model year that comes with many options from resellers to modify. However, It's time for me to upgrade my own 2003 RX300, and I've seen the dash mounts that hold my DIN unit, and I've selected a single DIN stereo. Before I buy, I want to know if anyone has tips on wiring, because I'm a complete newbie at this. Thank you!
Old 05-03-18, 04:29 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to tell us what your trying to achieve as there are many options that you may prefer.
Do you want more speakers? Do you want subwoofers?
Do you want to run both new deck and factory same time (use the cd staker input to run 2 stereos?}
Do you just want Mp3 or even mp4? As you dont need a new head deck to do that. (use the cd stacker input)
You can also use FM modulators there are some decent ones but most are cheap.
Simple is to add touch screen navigator mp3 mp4 player into your cd staker input. I have seen them with bluetooth.
Cd stacker input can use 3.5 and usb and bluetooth in some models
All depends on what you want out of it.
I have built stereos with electronic cross over networks separating the frequencies before amplifing channels and dual voice coil subwoofers capacitors etc just lost interest with age late 40s now still nice to have but i worry too much about dead batteries etc after living with this stuff.
Old 05-11-18, 04:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Given that the radio/head unit is integrated with the heating and A/C system and you are, by your own admission, a complete newbie, you may want to discuss with a competent car stereo installation store. If it can be done, they will instally your head unit for under $100.
Old 05-16-18, 01:03 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2din stereo into RX300

I'm about to buy a 2001 RX300 for my father and wanted to put in a stereo that had GPS, specifically one of those Android 2din stereos. Anyway, from the little Googling I've done it seems that these cars are as bad as my 07 IS250. Removing the radio will kill the climate controls, which I obviously don't want. I see that people have put a 1din stereo in conjunction with the factory one, but I don't understand how that works. Also 1din sucks. I tried looking on Alibaba for a custom made stereo but I can't find any. Some of them claim to be for a RX300 but there's no way that'll work.

The best solution I've found is when someone relocates the oem stereo to the center console and puts a 2din in its place, but like the 1din how does the 2din interact with the OEM radio? Maybe someone has a better solution for me?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...77985435Vs5p32
Old 05-17-18, 07:06 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Nobody put a stereo in this car, not even a 1din? Can anyone at least tell me if I can make the factory radio and aftermarket radio work at the same time?
Old 05-17-18, 07:10 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Australian
You need to tell us what your trying to achieve as there are many options that you may prefer.
Do you want more speakers? Do you want subwoofers?
Do you want to run both new deck and factory same time (use the cd staker input to run 2 stereos?}
Do you just want Mp3 or even mp4? As you dont need a new head deck to do that. (use the cd stacker input)
You can also use FM modulators there are some decent ones but most are cheap.
Simple is to add touch screen navigator mp3 mp4 player into your cd staker input. I have seen them with bluetooth.
Cd stacker input can use 3.5 and usb and bluetooth in some models
All depends on what you want out of it.
I have built stereos with electronic cross over networks separating the frequencies before amplifing channels and dual voice coil subwoofers capacitors etc just lost interest with age late 40s now still nice to have but i worry too much about dead batteries etc after living with this stuff.
I wanna put a 1din in my father's 2001 RX300 and want to know if I can make both the oem stereo and aftermarket stereo work together? I'd actually rather put in a 2din without having the hide the oem radio under the seat or something. I'm amazed nobody made an aftermarket direct fit stereo for this car. Specifically an Android based stereo.
Old 05-18-18, 03:43 AM
salimshah

Received 1,096 Likes on 986 Posts

Any one thinking of altering the entertainment set up needs to consider the following 3 aspects. Dont jump headlong without finding an answer to all three.

1. Physical fitment:
OEM setup is built around the vehicle. For a while I had heard about aftermarket adapter but never saw any pictures.

2. Integrated items:
Factory unit has A/C heat controls built in.

3. Signal levels:
Lexus uses duel differential [l+,l-,r+,r-] to eliminate noise between components. The signal levels are also non-standard.
Lexus uses proprietary serial communications link between components.

Please read up Aux-in discussion as a convenient way to inject external source.

Salim
Old 05-18-18, 05:34 AM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Any one thinking of altering the entertainment set up needs to consider the following 3 aspects. Dont jump headlong without finding an answer to all three.

1. Physical fitment:
OEM setup is built around the vehicle. For a while I had heard about aftermarket adapter but never saw any pictures.
They're on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stere...wAAOxyeR9TI2ej

This is what I'm going for.

3. Signal levels:
Lexus uses duel differential [l+,l-,r+,r-] to eliminate noise between components. The signal levels are also non-standard.
Lexus uses proprietary serial communications link between components.
Isn't that what the TYTO-01 is for? I'm just wondering how I can keep the OEM radio and the 1din radio working together.

Old 05-18-18, 07:41 PM
salimshah

^^^^^
Keep us posted.

I will add another item for you.

4. Where would the old head unit physically coexist?

Salim
Old 05-19-18, 01:12 AM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
^^^^^
Keep us posted.

I will add another item for you.

4. Where would the old head unit physically coexist?

Salim
According to what people have done, right bellow the factory radio. One poster here says it uses AV in Mode. This is like my 07 IS250 all over again.

From the looks of it these cars have a way to put in an AUX input for audio and even video if you have the Nav radio. So I may not even need that $50 adapter, I just need a harness to connect the radio to an AUX input. This makes me wish I had the Nav version in this RX300 or what the Japanese call Toyota Harrier.

Old 05-19-18, 07:04 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Ok I think I have an idea of how people were doing it. Firstly there's a harness that you can get that takes the place of the stereo, but without removing the stereo, but I imagine the factory radio won't work. The other method is to bypass the CD changer for an auxiliary input. You would lose the function of the CD changer (this is 2018) but you'd keep the factory radio. You'd basically press the CD changer button and that's where you'd get your stereos sound.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...a-70-8112.html

This person was able to wire in a headphone jack port into the stereo, so there must be a way to do this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-03-Lexus...kAAOSwOudZ0ww4
Old 03-27-19, 11:44 AM
mikes381
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone figured this out yet? I am thinking using the harness pictured in this thread you connect the aftermarket unit. Then I assume you p0urchase a reverse Lexus radio harness to plug into the back of the Lexus radio then you would only connect the power and ground wire of the factory unit, perhaps using a tap connector? that way the factory unit has power which would keep all climate and computer functions. Does this sound correct?
Old 08-29-19, 02:22 PM
Spyral
Driver School Candidate

I have been looking around as well as far as options go. Recently purchased a 2001 Rx300 for my daughter. Being her first car, I am ok without it having all to fancy interfaces and all. However as time goes by, would like to upgrade it for her. I saw this one on YouTube:
Problem is that it is all in Chinese and nothing about the installation. Seem similar units on eBay, though they don't state compatible with an '01, only '03. On Alibaba I see them listed and they do state compatible with '01+. But again, nothing as far as directions/etc on installation. No telling if wiring harness/adapters are included, etc.

Anyone have any luck with these type units?
Old 08-29-19, 07:55 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Spyral
I have been looking around as well as far as options go. Recently purchased a 2001 Rx300 for my daughter. Being her first car, I am ok without it having all to fancy interfaces and all. However as time goes by, would like to upgrade it for her. I saw this one on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwWQ-mA63Q
Problem is that it is all in Chinese and nothing about the installation. Seem similar units on eBay, though they don't state compatible with an '01, only '03. On Alibaba I see them listed and they do state compatible with '01+. But again, nothing as far as directions/etc on installation. No telling if wiring harness/adapters are included, etc.

Anyone have any luck with these type units?

Welcome to Club Lexus.

I have no idea how skilled you are to tackle this as DIY. Fail safe way would be to take the kit to an installer.
If you are skilled to work without understanding the written directions, I would still urge you to read the AUX-IN thread.
Reason: Lexus Audio signals are non-standard. Lexus also uses proprietary Serial Link protocol to communicate mangos audio components.

Salim