RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

"Intelligence" of the automatic climate control setting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 11:03 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Intelligence" of the automatic climate control setting?

I'm confused by the automatic climate control setting (this is my first vehicle with an automatic climate control).

When I set it on automatic and I start my car, regardless of temperature, it turns on the recirculation, turns the fan on FULL BLAST, and turns on the air conditioning.

This might be necessary if it was like 90 degrees outside. But I live in the mild paradise known as Vancouver Canada and it never really gets that hot. Worse, the climate control stays this way for what appears as an eternity. After some number of minutes, I feel like yelling: "HELLO! I'M FREEZING NOW! How about dialing down the fan speed and increasing the temperature of the incoming air past the FRIGID setting!"

In fact, I have never been able to "withstand' the blizzard and have always had to manually switch off the auto setting before it ever slowed down by itself. So much for being automatic?

I'm actually beginning to worry about winter. Will the "auto" setting, turn on the recirc, turn the fan on full and turn on the heat? Will it do it right away? ...when there's not heat in the system...?

If I were to program the system, I'd put in a bit more intelligence that what I've seen so far. The two biggest things I'd change is to start dialing back the fan from full blast sooner (actually I've never seen it do this yet...) and in the winter, do not start blasting the driver/passenger with cold unheated air until some heat is available (I haven't had the RX in the winter yet, but on a cool evening, I have already observed this disconcerting behaviour).

Is the auto climate control customizable like the door locks?
Old 07-09-03, 11:10 AM
jeffknet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't you set the temp you desire for the auto climate control??

unless I'm missing sumpthin???

just set the temp higher.....
Old 07-09-03, 11:15 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens when I've set it to 22 degrees C (about 73 F) and the outside temp is not much higher.
Old 07-09-03, 12:55 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by Lexterious
This happens when I've set it to 22 degrees C (about 73 F) and the outside temp is not much higher.
Bump it up more. Don't worry about the actual tempature setting (the number). Just keep bumping it until it works at a comfortable level. The number might seem high, but who cares? As long as your comfortable.

Mine seems to work pretty well (I think I'm set to 75 F). The recirc only switches on if it's warm and off if it's cool. Also, the fan doesn't increase until there is either hot air or cold air, depending on what is needed.

John
Old 07-09-03, 02:14 PM
ericjuenke
Driver School Candidate

I also just set the temperature higher and it seems to work much better. It doesn't blow away at start up like when I had it set lower, and it seems very comfortable set at 75. I don't know what the actual temp is inside when set at 75, I think I'll check it. Anyway, set it higher and see if it doesn't work better for you.
Old 07-16-03, 02:41 AM
flint330
Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions on this. I also felt that I was being blasted away everytime I had the auto feature on. I tried using the manual feature and found myself constantly switching from medium to low and back to medium, to low, etc. Medium was too cold, but when I went to low it wasn't cold enough. Recently I tried setting it to 75 and it works great. Now I don't feel like I'm in the middle of an Artic blast.
Old 07-16-03, 09:19 AM
lamk
Driver School Candidate

What I found is that everytime you press the automatic button it'll turn the A/C on at the same time no matter how cool it is outside. But then you can deactivate the A/C manually and keep the automatic setting on. The automatic setting will adjust the mode, fan speed and recirculation accordingly. If you read the manual you'll notice that if all you want is ventilation without cooling it suggest automatic with A/C off. My guess at the reason why the A/C is turn on when you hit the automatic button is to get dehumidification usiing the A/C. I'll check the C-Best list to see if one can delink the automatic button from the A/C button through dealer programming.