RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 06:47 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrome wheels

I need some info on getting chrome wheels for my RX300. Is it better for me to buy chrome wheels brand new or should I try the chrome wheels exhange???
Old 07-14-03, 01:04 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vinster29,

I looked into this option ad-nauseum.....

The chrome exchange is certainly much cheaper in the long run - about half the cost of buying replica chromes outright. But there's a catch - you either have to accept that the chromes you've been sent are OEM chrome plated (how do you REALLY know?), then ship off your same non-chrome OEM wheels to the compnay chroming your wheels for exchange - you not only have to pay for the replicas but pay a refundable "core" charge (think of it as a deposit) - and if the company deems your wheels acceptable then eventually you'll get your core charge refunded...

or you can send your wheels to the company and have them chrome plate those EXACT wheels - but what do you drive on while they do that???? and how are you certain the wheels you get back ARE the same wheels you sent?? Plus, most folks don't have an extra set of rims sitting around for this kind of situation... so most opt for the up-front, core deposit situation... which to me seems somewhat risky, there's plent of room for error - or reasons for the company to NOT like your existing wheels you've sent them and jack with your deposit money - though the companies wouldn't be in business long if they ripped off customers....

what I wound up doing - and I will elaborate in a future post - is I found someone to buy my existing wheels and then I just bought chrome replicas outright... Once I received my chromes I sent my original wheels to the buyer...

Last edited by jeffknet; 07-14-03 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-14-03, 06:06 PM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jeffknet, would you mind telling me which company you used for the chrome wheels process. I have a new black RX330 that I want the wheels for and yours looks awesome. I was thinking of using wheel concepts in California. You can email me the response if you want.

Thanks!
RickC
Old 07-14-03, 06:52 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

sent RickC a PM 8:50pm
Old 07-15-03, 08:12 AM
subal
Rookie

Default Chrome Source

I live in LA and am about 80 miles from this place. http://www.wheelconcepts.com/Default.htm
I went there and traded in my rims for chromed ones for $500 balanced, with new center inserts
and installed. The Lexus dealer wanted $1500. The rims I got were original OPEM parts.

While there, I also saw chromed Jaguar rims just like I paid $3000 for at the dealer last year for my S type..

These people told me that they do most of the after market plating for the better line of cars in southern CA.

Allan
javascript:smilie('')
Stick Out Tongue
Old 07-15-03, 08:34 AM
RickC
Driver

I called them last week. They want 600.00 for a set plus shipping and core.
Old 07-15-03, 08:51 AM
mit
Driver School Candidate

Just got my black / black RX330 yesterday. Decided on having the chrome wheels from the dealer. Got them for $900. I think the $1,800 price they have is only a 'sticker' price. Most are willing to go down to around $900. The chrome has a 3 year warranty.
Old 07-15-03, 09:01 AM
RickC
Driver

Not bad on the warranty. Wheel Concepts warranty is one year.

RickC

p.s. My dealer wanted 1200.00 plus core
Old 07-15-03, 09:15 AM
jeffknet
Pole Position

my dealer also came down in price to $900 - but they'll also charge labor on top of that to mount and balance - the good thing about going with Lexus is you have more warranty leverage - if they peel or flake you can get them replaced with little issue... but remember that price is for EXCHANGE...

I found someone to buy my Polished Graphites for a reasonable amount and used that $$ to offset the cost of the replica chromes I purchased outright - after it was all said and done I had my chromes on, mounted and balanced for under $700.... (under $200/wheel)

If I'd ordered a chrome exchange from Cali it would have cost $600 (plus another $600 for core) then $80 shipping BOTH ways - then approx $80 to have em mounted and balanced - so I'd be up to $1440 (holding my breath to get my core back eventually) for a net cost of $840 - heck for that price you might as well do it at Lexus for the extra $60 (plus mount & balance) and get a longer warranty......
Old 07-15-03, 10:00 AM
RickC
Driver

Jeff, you mentioned replica chromes. Does that mean the wheels are replica's or are they factory OEMs that have been chromed?

Thx,
RickC
Old 07-15-03, 12:06 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

replica chromes are REPLICA wheels cut from a similar mold to the factory specs and they are cheaper cause they're not Toyota/Lexus Factory wheels - are they cheaper in quality?? I've been told NO by people in the know - I had my replica chrome wheels inspected by my Lexus parts & service dept and they said they're fine quality - no difference. So unless your a stickler for OEM save $$ and go with replicas... you can always buy OEM center caps from Lexus or on eBay and then who's to know?? Tell everybody they're OEM - nobody will be able to tell.....

Last edited by jeffknet; 07-15-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 04:55 PM
flint330
Rookie

MIT, what dealer did you get your rims at? I live in Northern California, but with my luck you probably live in Southern. I am very interested in getting them, but I'm still trying to convince my husband. He thinks the graphite ones that came with the car are fine. I have the flint mica color and even though I haven't seen a picture of one with the chrome I think it would look really sharp!
Old 07-16-03, 05:15 AM
RickC
Driver

I agree flint, I think it would look better with chrome. I think all colors would.

RickC
Old 07-16-03, 06:47 AM
mit
Driver School Candidate

Flint,

I got them from Longo Lexus in El Monte. I am not sure if they sell the wheels separately though.
Old 07-16-03, 10:50 AM
flint330
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that they were from Longo Lexus as from reading the postings they have seemed to give the best deals. I guess I will check on prices up here in Northern California first. I do go to Southern California from time to time as I have kids in college in LA, so it probably wouldn't hurt to give Longo call too. Hopefully I can find a good price at Lexus dealer somewhere.

Quick Reply: Chrome wheels