RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX300 Shocks (Struts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 06:09 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 RX300 Shocks (Struts)

Hi Guys.

Our Rx300 has 180K and I think it's overdue for shocks! Not really wanting to go to the dealer or even OEM parts if there are good quality replacements? My mechanic is fine installing parts I bring as long as they are good quality.

Appreciate any ideas or product links.

thx

bob
Old 06-26-18, 06:35 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Do a search on this forum for Strut replacements. You will get a wealth of knowledge. The general OEM quality shock to put on are KYB brands shocks... Others have put on Monroe....
Old 06-26-18, 09:24 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

There are many RX300 threads on struts, but the most consistent piece of advice in them is to use OEM mounts with whichever brand of strut you buy.
Old 06-26-18, 10:22 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexmus
There are many RX300 threads on struts, but the most consistent piece of advice in them is to use OEM mounts with whichever brand of strut you buy.
You mean don't buy a complete assembly with the spring, etc?

bob
Old 06-27-18, 05:48 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

you certainly have the option to buy a quick strut solution. FCS and Monroe are popular. If you decide to assemble with a strut of your choice, use an OEM mount. You can see for yourself, the quality of the aftermarket KYB mount in my aftermarket parts thread. Aftermarket parts use/review thread
Old 06-27-18, 06:15 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

So, if my mechanic is doing the labor, he should have the right spring compressor, etc and all I need is the inner strut itself? It's OK to use the original springs and mounts?

thx

bob
Old 06-27-18, 10:43 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by steelgtr
So, if my mechanic is doing the labor, he should have the right spring compressor, etc and all I need is the inner strut itself? It's OK to use the original springs and mounts?

thx

bob
Take the vehicle to your mechanic and ask what needs to be ordered. Mechanic should have the tools and the specs [ha ha].
Typically the springs dont need replacement [unless you have been overloading the vehicle for extended time]
Rubber seats typically remain good if they are OEM, I would re-use instead of installing a new after-market non OEM.
Rubber bellows (to protect the shaft from picking up garbage) get ripped as the RX ages. I am not sure if they are part of the seat. Mechanic should examine and let you know [that is why I suggested take it to the mechanic before you buy the parts].

Also think about wheel alignment after the suspension work.

If you plan to DIY, remember that torquing of suspension members needs to be done with wheels on ground. [Qualified mechanic would know]

Note: When ever a owner buys and brings the part, if there are warranty issues [bad product issue] then the mechanic needs to paid again for the fix. If the mechanic purchases the part (may get a commission/kick-back/over-charge etc) then his second labor is on him. Please confirm with the mechanic.

Salim
Old 06-27-18, 10:58 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah

Rubber bellows (to protect the shaft from picking up garbage) get ripped as the RX ages. I am not sure if they are part of the seat....
Salim
OEM bellows are molded part of the strut mounts. If OEM strut mounts are to be reused, just trim the damaged section off and use an aftermarket bellows of your choice. Zip tie as necessary.

If the mechanic is charging an hourly rate rather than flat rate....i would opt to have them install a quick strut if i am budget conscious, instead of replacing individual worn components and reassembly.
Old 06-27-18, 01:59 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I absolutely like Monroe Quick Strut I had for my Camry. IF you can find them for your car. They somehow where not around for RX. Either way, go for complete strut. KYB has simialr product and some outfit on ebay.
With complete strut, you have - under warranty - everything NEW and it takes 20 minute to drop one in. Literally.
Old 06-27-18, 03:15 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I absolutely like Monroe Quick Strut I had for my Camry. IF you can find them for your car. They somehow where not around for RX. Either way, go for complete strut. KYB has simialr product and some outfit on ebay.
With complete strut, you have - under warranty - everything NEW and it takes 20 minute to drop one in. Literally.
KYB has quick struts?
Old 06-28-18, 11:50 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Yeah, it's called Strut Plus

https://www.kyb.com/products/strut-plus/

Somehow, I didn't see any for Rxs but, I believe this changed. Also, there is outfit on ebay, American something, that had them for Rx. I stay away from unknown brands, but they have very good reviews.
Old 01-09-23, 10:02 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Just an update on my original OEM rear strut mounts that were reused. Due to time constraints and failure of KYB rear strut mounts back in 2016, I had reused my original OEM rear strut mounts. One had finally broken last week with over 237K of hard use through Philadelphia potholes. The driver side rear OEM mount is still serving duty . IMO it's a true testament of how solid some of the OEM parts are on these cars. I would not do the same for front replacements due to bearing cups being involved and effects of steering if a failure should occur.