RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing tensioner pulley bolt.. thread size/pitch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 06:17 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Timing tensioner pulley bolt.. thread size/pitch?

Does anyone happen know what the thread size and pitch for the Number 1 idler pulley bolt aka timing belt tensioner pulley bolt is? FWIW, it uses a 10mm hex

Approx 90k ago, it appears the Lexus "tech" cross threaded and rammed this bolt through to secure it...perhaps with an impact. The threads are damaged on the case and will need the size to get the right helicoil insert.

Old 07-28-18, 10:22 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

If no one answers, just purchase a new bolt and get the size from it.

Salim
Old 07-29-18, 05:02 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
If no one answers, just purchase a new bolt and get the size from it.

Salim
that's already the plan but I'm not expecting the parts counter guy to know
Old 07-29-18, 05:32 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Are you going to confront the dealership? That won’t admit they did it but it will give you (well I should say it would give me) some satisfaction knowing their incompetence did not go unnoticed. This is so typical of the crap they do on a regular basis. Unless you carefully inspect (which in some cases means completely re-doing the job) their work, you do not discover their shoddy mess until it is too late.
Old 07-29-18, 07:43 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

http://www.repairengineering.com/helicoil.html

Drill out the old threads

That basically makes your query no merit. You drill out old threads to smooth walls and re tap them. Hence, you basically install new threads. You can go to any hardware store, to nuts and bolts, and they will have handy dandy plate with pre cut threaded holes. Just match yours.
Of course, first you will need to clean all the aluminum shards off the threads.
Old 07-29-18, 08:23 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by artbuc
Are you going to confront the dealership? That won’t admit they did it but it will give you (well I should say it would give me) some satisfaction knowing their incompetence did not go unnoticed. This is so typical of the crap they do on a regular basis. Unless you carefully inspect (which in some cases means completely re-doing the job) their work, you do not discover their shoddy mess until it is too late.
I'm definitely going to confront them. I don't expect much because its going to be a he said she said thing with the service manager who may not have been working there and the mechanic long gone. I fault these inexperienced "techs" who use power tools when not needed and also try to speed through jobs for the sake of beating the book time in order to bill and move on to the next customer. If they can give me a discount on parts or future service, that would be great..but I don't expect anything. For now, i'm just concentrating on getting this timing belt job done.
Old 07-29-18, 03:55 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

It's very hot here, So i have time. You are welcome.
You drill the existing threads out to smooth wall and re tap them to helicoil OUTER diameter. You use tap provided with kit or use your own, I have entire set of them.
You need to determine what size of helicoil to buy, hence, you need to know your bolt thread size and pitch.
To determine that, you go to any hardware store, where they sell nuts and bolts. Around here, best are Ace hardware, now Johnson's. For weird bolts and nuts, to McLendon's.
They have pre tapped plates with various SAE and metric holes. Or, nuts mounted into plastic plates. You clean old threads residue off your bolt threads, to have clean threads, and try your bolt in one of them holes, until you find a matching one.
That determines what size INNER diameter and pitch helicoil you buy. So that inner diameter/pitch matches your bolt.
You place helicoil into pre tapped for it threads and place your bolt into the helicoil.
Reason I said asking here has no merit is because it's easy trip to a hardware store to have question answered. Unless that car is somewhere out in Alaska wilderness and none available.
I actually worked for 6 years as tool and die maker. If it were to help with qualifications. Broken bolts and die guides were daily repairs.