RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Mouse nest in cabin air filter/HVAC not working now

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 09:52 PM
Toymaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse nest in cabin air filter/HVAC not working now

I'm new so forgive me if there's a thread on this.

2001 RX300
Just got this last week. AC worked great when we got it. AC decided to stop working the other day. Pulled the cabin air filter and it was clogged with pieces of mouse nest, etc.
Here's my questions:
1) Does the blower motor/housing etc. come out from the inside of the cabin,
2) Any ideas on how to vacuum out all the ducts and clean the vents/air intakes,
3) Do I have to remove the dash to get to the duct work.

Whole duct/vent system needs to be cleaned due to allergies.
Old 08-12-18, 07:41 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

What does "AC stopped working mean? No air blows or hot air blows?

The blower motor is mounted just below the cabin air filter housing and is held on by a few screws. You will be laying in the passenger floorboard to remove and replace it. I have replaced the blower motor with an aftermarket one I bought off Amazon, and it is a fairly easy fix.

You will not be able to access the duct work without totally disassembling the entire dash, and some areas will still not be easily accessible. For example, the part of the duct that holds the air mix door is enclosed and I am not sure how you would get inside to clean it. I would spray Lysol or a similar disinfectant into the cabin filter slot with the filter removed and the blower on, so that it coats the ducts. Also spray at the internal air intake that is used in re-circulation mode. Turn off the blower shortly after spraying into the filter slot and intake. Then spray into the dash vents. Let it dry. Repeat this process a few times. I would also spray into the external air intake with the cabin filter door closed and blower on if you run the A/C in fresh "non-recirc" mode.
Old 08-12-18, 08:55 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Hope this is not the case:

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/485256/f...=1524961530486
The following users liked this post:
Toymaker (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 10:45 AM
salimshah

Received 1,074 Likes on 967 Posts

The filter is on the in take and not the forced air [duct work]. At the most remove the blower and with good vacuum just clean the intake side. Once you install a new filter with activated charcoal, the wheels system will be clean and free in a month. Replace the filter tow or three times and you will be good.

Dealing with the rest of the damage ... you will have to determine the extent of the damage. There is a place they nest and then there is copper that attracts the critters and the damage can be extensive on the wiring.

My suggestion would be access the rest of the damage first, before attempting the detailed duct cleanup.

Salim
Old 08-12-18, 01:18 PM
Toymaker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
What does "AC stopped working mean? No air blows or hot air blows?

The blower motor is mounted just below the cabin air filter housing and is held on by a few screws. You will be laying in the passenger floorboard to remove and replace it. I have replaced the blower motor with an aftermarket one I bought off Amazon, and it is a fairly easy fix.

You will not be able to access the duct work without totally disassembling the entire dash, and some areas will still not be easily accessible. For example, the part of the duct that holds the air mix door is enclosed and I am not sure how you would get inside to clean it. I would spray Lysol or a similar disinfectant into the cabin filter slot with the filter removed and the blower on, so that it coats the ducts. Also spray at the internal air intake that is used in re-circulation mode. Turn off the blower shortly after spraying into the filter slot and intake. Then spray into the dash vents. Let it dry. Repeat this process a few times. I would also spray into the external air intake with the cabin filter door closed and blower on if you run the A/C in fresh "non-recirc" mode.

The compressor still sounds like it's working, but when you turn the fan on there's a whine then it stops. No air at all hot or cold.
I had a feeling I'd have to take the dash out.
My biggest concern is dander. Lysol is great for mold etc, but I'm sure the dander is all throughout the entire duct system now.
My wife has really bad dander allergies/asthma and mice have dander.

As far as the duct work do you think they could access it?
Also is there a way to remove the air intake cover below the windshield? If so I could at vacuum some out of it I would think.

Thank you for you fast reply and help!

I need to get a manual..lol
Old 08-12-18, 01:28 PM
Toymaker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
The filter is on the in take and not the forced air [duct work]. At the most remove the blower and with good vacuum just clean the intake side. Once you install a new filter with activated charcoal, the wheels system will be clean and free in a month. Replace the filter tow or three times and you will be good.

Dealing with the rest of the damage ... you will have to determine the extent of the damage. There is a place they nest and then there is copper that attracts the critters and the damage can be extensive on the wiring.

My suggestion would be access the rest of the damage first, before attempting the detailed duct cleanup.

Salim
I don't believe there is any wire damage as of yet. I think the blower has just become clogged.

I forgot to add I did a diagnostic and it threw 2 codes. 21-solar sensor (it wasn't sunny out when I got this code) and 42- air intake servomotor circuit, which makes me think something is just clogged since I can hear the sound of something under resistance trying to move. Hope that made sense...lol

I also want to add how impressed I am with this forum. I've been on forums over the years where the people were..let's say..not very nice.
Doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old 08-12-18, 06:53 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toymaker
I don't believe there is any wire damage as of yet. I think the blower has just become clogged.

I forgot to add I did a diagnostic and it threw 2 codes. 21-solar sensor (it wasn't sunny out when I got this code) and 42- air intake servomotor circuit, which makes me think something is just clogged since I can hear the sound of something under resistance trying to move. Hope that made sense...lol

I also want to add how impressed I am with this forum. I've been on forums over the years where the people were..let's say..not very nice.
I know the blower comes out super easy. Under the glove box, 3 screws pops right out.
Old 08-12-18, 07:25 PM
salimshah

Received 1,074 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by Toymaker

The solar is not full sun, I would ignore it .. unless you are in the garage and no lights are on.

We, in Club Lexus, strive to keep the forum friendly, respectful and nice. One in a while new members sign up and bring the un-appreciated level of noise, which we patiently bring down.

Salim
Old 08-12-18, 08:11 PM
Toymaker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
The solar is not full sun, I would ignore it .. unless you are in the garage and no lights are on.

We, in Club Lexus, strive to keep the forum friendly, respectful and nice. One in a while new members sign up and bring the un-appreciated level of noise, which we patiently bring down.

Salim
I think the sensor is the least of my worries at this point. As for the 42- air intake servomotor circuit, I was told that's probably due to the clogging.

I want to thank you an everyone else for the help!