RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Do you still Luv your RX 300 after all these years ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 11:50 AM
Riverguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jonas, how the heck do you have an '01 with only 73K miles on it? That's 3650 miles a year! My wife and I put that much on our '01 and our pickup and we live 5 miles from town and maybe once a month go the 50 miles to Eugene! Wanna sell it?

Your '01 should be about read for new rear axle bearings; seems that's when they all want to expire. If they haven't already, it's time to be aware of the probability.

You're right: Take care of it and it'll take care of you! Good luck, and Lucky You!

Old 04-20-21, 12:51 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Hi Riverguy,

Yep clean Carfax and the RX300 is a time capsule.
The car is absolutely mint ! I change the oil
every 4K, ATF, Rear differential service every 15K
Anything that needs change I replace !

I also have a 04 RX330 with 73K on it and a
02 SC 430 with 49K. Love my Lexus fleet.

I actually might be selling my RX 300 in about a year
If you are interested, let me know.

Here are some more recent pics of my RX300

Old 04-20-21, 12:52 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Oh wanted to show you my SC 😁
Old 06-14-21, 09:57 PM
GHBabie
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My '03 was my first car, bought her all on my own through some tough circumstances. It's been 3-1/2 years (mindblown, didn't realize it'd been that long) and she's still the one. <3 I've had five other vehicles (another lexus, BMW, MB, miata, and the MRS I still own), and she's always been my favorite. Wouldn't trade her for the world. I intend to repair her to unlimited extents and keep her feeling good for as long as possible, and if ever she ages to the point that retirement would be the kindest choice, she'll be the most beautiful sculpture in the world to me, my favorite piece in my forever collection.

Old 11-20-22, 09:26 PM
Riverguy
Rookie

Default Do I still love my RX300? More all the time!

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
After all these years, I still have an affinity for the Original
RX 300. Bought the 01 AWD fair lady in 2014 with 38K on the clock
and today, she is still running like a champ.

The RX300 might not be the fastest, might need more TLC
with oil changes and ATF fluids changes, but I still think
the design is timeless.

Do you still Luv your RX300 ?
==============================================

Our 2001 is 22 years old now and still running like new! It looks almost as good as it did when we bought it back in 2017; just picked up up a few wee scratches here and there, mostly on the "bumpers." The leather is still supple and has no cracks beyond light surface on the driver's seat. Everything still works as new. I've done all the maintenance up until two oil changes ago when at the tender age of 85 it is now uncomfortable enough for me to get under the car that I entrust those kinds of things to our local Valvoline in-and-out shop, but I always watch the guy actually using the oil that I brought in, which is usually Castrol full synthetic. I still enjoy doing any repairs or maintenance accessible from above! Finally had to buy new tires but the originals deserve a shout since the Michelins that were on it when we bought it, 60+ thousand miles ago were just getting down to the "unsafe" tread depth, and getting a bit noisy Now we're riding on new Michelins from Costco that will most likely outlive me! Repairs? A new antenna mast that didn't like being backed under a branch in our driveway, and one biggie: New front brakes, rotor and calipers. That's it. My wife and I both LOVE this car and hope it lasts forever! It;s gonna be up for a timing belt in another year or so, and if we should happen to find a fresher one to buy, we may just sell this one and buy a lower-mileage one instead of spending $1500 for a timing belt and all the peripherals that will need to be done at the same time. Oh yeah, I replaced both belts recently, they looked good still, but the alt. belt was squeaking. An interesting side note, we bought this sweet ride in 2017 for $5000 and could easily sell it today for at least that much, probably more. A very special car, indeed!
Old 11-20-22, 09:39 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Guys

Cant believe my thread is still around after all these years but yea I still have my Rx300.
Sadly my Rx330 was totaled by an As^^^^ and we replaced with a Tesla.

But we still have our 01 RX300 now at 80K and still running great! The only item I need to replace again is the air mix servo. Will need front and rear brakes and rotor soon!

The relentless pursuit of perfection and the love affair continues !
Old 11-20-22, 09:45 PM
Riverguy
Rookie

That pesky air-mix servo . . . most of the time it's fine. Then it'll start that annoying "hunting" noise and that'll go on for a week or so until I tell my wife, well, it's time I scrunch my ancient body down under the dash and fix this thing, And then it stops and is fine for a few months! I can live with that as long as the whole heat/cool systems still works, and it hasn't stopped working at all. My Dad had a mantra he liked: "Never put off anything until tomorrow that you can put off indefinitely!"
Old 11-21-22, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Guys

Cant believe my thread is still around after all these years but yea I still have my Rx300.
Sadly my Rx330 was totaled by an As^^^^ and we replaced with a Tesla.

But we still have our 01 RX300 now at 80K and still running great! The only item I need to replace again is the air mix servo. Will need front and rear brakes and rotor soon!

The relentless pursuit of perfection and the love affair continues !
Why rotors? I had lot over 1/4 Million miles with original rotors [did not even need lathe work]. I did replace the pads before minimum thickness number of times.

Salim
Old 11-21-22, 03:30 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 with 238,000 miles. It’s been through a lot (including being stolen and recovered). Even though it runs great, I imagine I’m living on borrowed time, and I will miss this car.
Old 11-23-22, 07:11 PM
Jhixson
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

We bought our 2001 RX300 new and it is still going strong after 270,000 miles. We are religious about scheduled service and fix any niggles as needed. Every year I take it on a 2-4 week trip around the US and it has never let me down. My wife just bought a new Mercedes Benz GLE 450 - nice car but she likes the RX better. They will probably bury me in this car.
Old 01-18-23, 10:57 PM
nccareer
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few years ago I was about to begin a full refresh on my 1999 RX 300 to include a new paint job as well as other cosmetic upgrades. My wife had other ideas and instead wanted a new 4th gen. RX. So I bought a new RX for us, but I could not part with my 99 RX…. So 2 years later and having owned both 1st and 4th generation RX’s, I can fully say that while the new RX is comfortable to drive, it lacks the utility of the old RX. So, a few weeks ago I finally passed 300,000 miles on my old RX and am in the middle of a full cosmetic upgrade. It is so nice that because of its age I can buy aftermarket parts dirt cheap!

Here’s some of my recent buys for the restoration:
new bumpers $75 each
headlights $60 each
fender liners $7 each
chrome door handles $20 each

I should be done in about a month and I look forward to having her back on the road in near new condition!

The following 2 users liked this post by nccareer:
Fit1too (01-19-23), maxSteel (01-19-23)
Old 01-19-23, 07:45 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

I think first RX is the best utility vehicle, specially when you add the reliability and the shape never goes out of style.

I still miss mine, although intra-city and technological updates are the only negatives I can think of.

Salim
Old 01-19-23, 05:14 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had mine for 3 years and 4 months, and have put 85K miles on it. It has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. It's one of those vehicles that you don't have to think about when you drive it. I've driven Toyota products for years, so I know where everything is without thinking i.e. cruise control lever, lights, wipers, etc.
I'm not fond of all this distracting technology that they put in cars these days. If I wanted to use a mouse controller, I would stay at home. I focus on the road ahead and the cars around me when I drive. My wife and I crack up when I say, "turn the radio down, I can't hear to drive"