RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacement Door Lock Actuators - Ebay Chinese Replacement Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18 | 02:24 PM
gookies
Rookie

After replacing my driver's door with an aftermarket (still works fine), I decided to just replace the motors of the others, instead of going through the hassle of finding an aftermarket that won't cause problems. Overall, pretty easy. I used a Dremel/rotary tool to split the actuator in half, then used a pinion gear puller to take off the gear; unfortunately, the gear puller doesn't have enough room to remove it completely, so after I pulled it off as much as I could with the puller, I used two hammers to finish taking it off. 4 motors are $15 on ebay and the gear puller is also around that price.
The following users liked this post:
BeeKind (08-11-20)
Old 11-23-18 | 11:41 AM
Phil01
Pit Crew

So far I have received 3 actuators for my passenger side front door and all of them have failed testing before installation. My local Pick N Pull has a 99 RX300 that I was thinking about taking the actuator out of and replacing the motor in it. Is there a way to test the motor before cutting open the case? Is there any difference between the drivers side and the passengers side motor such as direction of rotation?
Old 11-23-18 | 03:02 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phil01
So far I have received 3 actuators for my passenger side front door and all of them have failed testing before installation. My local Pick N Pull has a 99 RX300 that I was thinking about taking the actuator out of and replacing the motor in it. Is there a way to test the motor before cutting open the case? Is there any difference between the drivers side and the passengers side motor such as direction of rotation?
Don't you still have your old OEM actuators? Just take the motors out of your aftermarket ones. Also, the motors are all the same, I just replaced 3/4 of mine (will replace the last one tomorrow) using motors I bought off ebay and there were all the same (part #s).

Last edited by gookies; 11-23-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-23-18 | 05:33 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gookies
Don't you still have your old OEM actuators? Just take the motors out of your aftermarket ones. Also, the motors are all the same, I just replaced 3/4 of mine (will replace the last one tomorrow) using motors I bought off ebay and there were all the same (part #s).
I haven't pulled out to one on the passenger side yet. I'm hoping to take one out of a car at PnP and rebuild it first so I can just swap it out.
Old 11-23-18 | 05:37 PM
gookies
Rookie

I haven't pulled out to one on the passenger side yet. I'm hoping to take one out of a car at PnP and rebuild it first so I can just swap it out.
It doesn't take much time with a dremel/rotary tool to open it. Since you're going to use a motor from an aftermarket actuator, the pinion gear is already going to be attached, so no need to take that off. I wouldn't waste time at the pick n pull if you still have your OEM ones.
Old 11-26-18 | 10:08 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

I understand what you're saying Phil. It's nice to have one complete and ready to swap in, plus you get the extra experience of disassembly at your Pick N Pull......
All 4 doors on the RX300 use the same Motor (the tailgate actuator uses the same motor too). You can apply 12vDC to pins 5 and 6 to test the motor. Reverse polarity on the 2 pins to actuate the motor in the other direction Lock<-->Unlock.
Old 11-26-18 | 09:42 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vr4/sc400
I understand what you're saying Phil. It's nice to have one complete and ready to swap in, plus you get the extra experience of disassembly at your Pick N Pull......
All 4 doors on the RX300 use the same Motor (the tailgate actuator uses the same motor too). You can apply 12vDC to pins 5 and 6 to test the motor. Reverse polarity on the 2 pins to actuate the motor in the other direction Lock<-->Unlock.
Thanks for the info. Just a thought and probably because I can't leave things alone but are the internal pieces interchangeable from side to side? In other words can I use the good parts from my old drivers side actuator to fix the bad passenger side actuator that I just bought? I am guessing that there are parts missing and if they are interchangeable then I could make a good one. I plan on going to PnP this weekend anyway but this is just an idea.
Old 11-27-18 | 06:28 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Thanks for the info. Just a thought and probably because I can't leave things alone but are the internal pieces interchangeable from side to side? In other words can I use the good parts from my old drivers side actuator to fix the bad passenger side actuator that I just bought? I am guessing that there are parts missing and if they are interchangeable then I could make a good one. I plan on going to PnP this weekend anyway but this is just an idea.
No, other than the motor and o-ring gasket every other part is a mirror image of the other side.
Old 11-27-18 | 02:53 PM
maorsela
Rookie

Originally Posted by gookies
Just replaced my driver's door with this one from Amazon below, followed the guide in the DIY sticky. If there are any problems with it, I will make an edit, if there's no edit, it worked fine. I will probably attempt to replace the motor on my other ones instead of buying an aftermarket depending on how long I end up taking to open it and removing + reinstalling the pinion gear; since I replaced my driver's with a generic, I currently have the OEM one out and will practice on that

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, ordered one! My driver door has been non-functioning for 2 years now, i think it's about time i man-up and try to fix it. Dealer quoted me $1000 a while back.
Old 11-27-18 | 07:32 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by maorsela
Thanks, ordered one! My driver door has been non-functioning for 2 years now, i think it's about time i man-up and try to fix it. Dealer quoted me $1000 a while back.
Make sure you DO NOT put back the door panel until you test everything, you may have forgotten something and it will be a pain to take it off if the door is shut. Someone in the DIY sticky did it.
The following users liked this post:
maorsela (11-28-18)
Old 11-27-18 | 08:46 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

Did all models of Lexus built around this time use the same actuators and what about Toyota's. When I go to PnP should I only be looking for RX300s or are there a lot of options.
Old 12-31-18 | 06:16 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Did all models of Lexus built around this time use the same actuators and what about Toyota's. When I go to PnP should I only be looking for RX300s or are there a lot of options.
It's just a bad idea to get used actuators (or the chinese/aftermarket ones) - the only part that wears out is the $5 motor inside.

I've done dozens of lexus and toyota cars over the years (more than 12 years) and have not had to re-do one yet.
Old 10-09-19 | 07:35 PM
Kzoe240
Driver School Candidate

Can you swap the motor from the ebay actuators into the oem actuator? Would it work properly? Has anyone done the swap?
Old 10-09-19 | 09:39 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Kzoe240
Can you swap the motor from the ebay actuators into the oem actuator? Would it work properly? Has anyone done the swap?
Pardon me as I am missing something.
The motor is available so why purchase a knockoff unit to retrieve the motor.
The OEM encapsulation puts up the biggest challenge to cut open. Replacing the motor is a breeze. The only reason to buy the knockoff [imho] is to prevent dealing with cutting the OEM open.

Salim
Old 10-09-19 | 10:36 PM
Kzoe240
Driver School Candidate

Well i already baught cheap actuators. They work with interior lock switch but my key remote doesnt. So i was thinking of just swapping the motors so the old actuator will work. Instead of buying new motors.

Quick Reply: Replacement Door Lock Actuators - Ebay Chinese Replacement Tutorial