RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine misfiring, jerking when accelerating - No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 06:01 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

After confirming with obdII that there are no codes, if you get hesitation/lack-of-power, investigate fuel delivery and proper operation of injectors.

Salim
Old 12-26-18, 07:32 AM
Jonwrench
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are still no codes or pending codes. Will start working on fuel delivery system this weekend. Really appreciate the assistance, will update on what I find.
Old 12-29-18, 07:12 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Look, it won't cost you much labor and no money to take VVT solenoids and strainer filters out and spray clean them. For the year, it should be done anyway. See what happens. It's like 20 min per set, you have 2 of them in each engine head. Right next to each other. Just be very careful with strainers, their base is made out of some brittle plastic that crumbles easily after years of heat.
Old 12-30-18, 06:55 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ement-diy.html

just in case
Old 12-30-18, 09:09 AM
salimshah

Desperation makes us think illogically.
OCV issues should trigger check engine light.
No spark should trigger CEL.
Wrong timing of spark should trigger CEL.
Unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust would also trigger a CEL.

When a misfire is happening without CEL, the logical conclusion is there is no fuel in the chamber.

So I suggest, check that the injectors are getting triggered and there is fuel coming in. Then trace it all the way back to the fuel pump in the tank as needed.

Granted there are times when you need to leave the logic, but one must follow logic to start with.

Salim

Old 12-30-18, 12:09 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Before you throw more parts on it, please check fuel delivery.
It is very likely you have a low volume fuel delivery/pressure.
Possibly a weak fuel pump or a clogged Fuel Suction Filter - (fuel pump filter) sock as i call it.
Fuel pressure should be 44 − 50 psi at idle.
Old 12-30-18, 03:34 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonwrench
Replaced coils, plugs, filters, pvc valve, cleaned MAF and IAC units. All vacumn lines are connected, no leaks found. Engine idles fine, but when you accelerate the engine jerks and seems to misfire. Slow steady application of the throttle, then engine does better. No check engine indicator activity and no codes. Any ideas?
"Slow steady application of the throttle, then engine does better" Sound like a fuel problem. You need to get a code reader which can display live data otherwise you are just guessing. You need to see the STFT (short term fuel trim) to see if the ECU is adding or taking away fuel. You need to read the engine coolant temperature to determine if the engine is running at the proper temperature. If the ECU thinks that the engine is cold it will give it a rich mixture (more gas) to compensate. You need to see the MAF (mass air flow) see to how much air is entering the throttle. You need to read the engine vacuum to determine if there is a vacuum leak (it should hold steady at idle).

The job of the MAF is to determine the amount of air entering the throttle body. It does this but heating a wire, the ECU determines the amount of current needed to maintain the temperature of the wire. As more airflow over the wire more current is needed to main the temperature. You can see in my photo when I snapped the throttle at 61 g/s.

Old 12-31-18, 06:36 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Desperation makes us think illogically.
OCV issues should trigger check engine light.
Salim
My car had low speed hesitation during acceleration for a week before the OCV code was thrown.
Could the poster be describing that as "misfiring and jerking"?
Old 02-05-19, 11:13 AM
Jonwrench
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed fuel pump, filter, regulator and strainer assembly. The problem is resolved; runs strong and smooth through all rpm ranges. Transmission shifts well. Thanks everyone for all your help with this.
Old 02-05-19, 11:44 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Installed fuel pump, filter, regulator and strainer assembly. The problem is resolved; runs strong and smooth through all rpm ranges. Transmission shifts well. Thanks everyone for all your help with this.
Awesome..!
Good diag.
Keeping it simple.
Old 02-19-19, 03:08 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually I am going to do mine I have pulled my engine down changed my plugs coils and knock sensors three times now. I am not getting too many misfires but still getting them. I know air fuel mix didnt feel right and bursts of power after lag. I even have the hollow point spark plugs now lambo style to get some bloody spark.

Last edited by Australian; 02-19-19 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 03:30 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Australian
Actually I am going to do mine I have pulled my engine down changed my plugs coils and knock sensors three times now. I am not getting too many misfires but still getting them. I know air fuel mix didnt feel right and bursts of power after lag. I even have the hollow point spark plugs now lambo style to get some bloody spark.
Read my post #20.
Only OEM plugs for RX please.

Salim