RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Why would you buy an RX300/330?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03 | 09:41 AM
TidaLXWaVe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you buy an RX300/330?

post your year and comment with a pro or a con about the Rx series!

Rx330

Pro: I would buy the car for the rear lights alone! Styling is off the charts on this one. Probably one of the better Lexus Models, better yet, in its class. (the only other rival of this caliber would be the Acura MDX)

Con

my friend has one and there are creaks everywhere! maybe he got a lemon who knows.
Old 07-29-03 | 12:54 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

RX330

PRO

hands down the finest Luxury Utility Vehicle on the road today. The combination of future technology (Nav, Rearview Cam, Auto Rear Hatch, AFL Headlights, etc) sporty accents (spoiler, 18" rims, tail lights) and after-purchase customer service (loaner cars, free washes, etc) made this a no brainer for me.

CON

finger prints on the Nav screen - and the fact that eventually there'll be too many on the road (just like the 300) and they'll no longer be unique.
Old 07-30-03 | 05:33 AM
Goncookoo

RX330

Pro

I dont have one yet

Con

I dont have one yet

Old 07-30-03 | 07:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post RX 330

Pro: My business requires I drive a wagon or SUV. After suffering the ride and handling qualities of big sedan-wagons and truck-based SUVs for many years, the RX came along at just the right time. It’s no sports car, and it’s no truck - it does represent an excellent compromise of the two for my daily use. "Toys" like the power door, rear camera, ML audio, RSE, and nav are proving practical and may become indispensible. My dealer experience has been outstanding, both with the 330 and my previous 300. Each proved to be a swift, silent business partner, a medium-hauler, an occasional off-road adventurer, a luxurious client conveyance, a voracious devourer of Interstates, and until the Gulfstream arrives, my company jet.

Con: needlessly fiddly nav system, poor quality RSE screen, and I’ve never gotten over that weird rear end. Please sir, may we have more power?
Old 07-30-03 | 09:36 PM
tyberco
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up 2001 RX300 w/ Nav

I just purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2001 RX300 w/ Nav. White Crystal Pearl color, in July of '03.

This is my first "luxury" car, as I've been driving various Hondas up until now... most recently a Honda CRV. I was looking to "move up" to something nicer, and I had been eyeing the Acura MDX. But it wasn't quite in the budget yet. I thought I was going to have to settle for a Honda Pilot, but then I heard that Lexus had 1.9% financing on CPO RX and ES models. I found mine in pristine condition for thousands less than even a Pilot. Combine all that with the 3 year, 100,000 total mile warranty, and it made more sense to buy a two year old Lexus than a new Honda.

PROS: Extremely quiet ride, above average (stock) sound system, very useful Navigation system, decent acceleration (remember, I was driving a little CRV before this), awesome price and warranty (for the CPO's), and tossing that sexy Lexus key on the bar when I go out doesn't suck.

CONS: Styling could be more masculine (RX330 is better, but a bit too outlandish for my tastes... I still prefer the MDX's understated styling), gas mileage is pretty bad (especially compared again to my CRV that regularly turned out 24mpg in city driving), having to use the Nav touch screen for other controls, such as audio, can be a bit awkward at times (the display is nice, but some controls should have dedicated buttons), and last but not least, it's got a lot of quirks... something you'd expect from a Jaguar, but not a Lexus.

Overall though, it's the perfect car for the next three years, then I can go after a new MDX, or the upcoming Acura RDX (smaller SUV).

Ty
Old 08-01-03 | 11:27 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

MSM/Black P+ 330 on order.

Pro: A higher ride (from an IS), more room, that very cool power tilt/telescoping steering wheel (if it wasn't available, I'd get a Limited 4Runner), HID's, power rear door, 1-mpg better gas mileage than my IS!?! and the uncomparable Lexus "feel".

Cons: Can't get those damn $200 18" wheel option!?! I'll live throught it though Probably go w/ better looking & wider aftermarket wheels, which will improve the stance 100%.
Old 08-10-03 | 07:46 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pros:
Wife friendly -- rear hatch, seats, entry level, instruments
Great fit and finish
Excellent local dealer both sales and service

Cons:
330 engine noisy
steering light with little road feel (again wife freindly)
style a bit over the top
Old 08-10-03 | 04:38 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After driving a BMW 328i and a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past few years I started to look at getting down to one car and this is absolutely the perfect compromise. Sporty looks and smoooooth ride (BMW) and room to haul stuff when needed and 4 wheel drive (Jeep).

I just bought my Certified Pre-owned 2000 RX300 and I couldn't be happier....Once I added aftermarket 18" chrome wheels and tires. Here's what I've observed so far......

Pro's - sporty looks - Is there a sportier looking SUV out there? Interior with leather heated seats, power glass roof and more storage than I ever thought possible. What a sporty ride for an SUV, especially with the 18" wheels and 235/55/18 Michelin Energy MXV4's! If you haven't upgraded to 18s yet then go get some!

Con's - needs more power!, sound system is OK, but man I miss the Harmon Kardon system in my Bimmer! I would expect more from the top end sound system in a lexus. What's up with those plastic vup holders?! That's all.

JP
Attached Thumbnails Why would you buy an RX300/330?-chrome-wheels-003.jpg  
Old 08-10-03 | 04:52 PM
crunch
Driver School Candidate

I've had my new RX330 for about 1 month now. Traded my '99 GS400 (yes, some tears were shed!) but living in the Midwest, a hockeypuck sports car that sat in the garage just wasn't practical anymore. So far, so good!!! I LOVE my RX. We have the Performance Package, Crystal White.

Pros:

Super styling, luxury ride (or sporty if I so desire due to the Performance package adjustable suspension). Hauls about everthing I need it to with ease. Performs best around 50 MPH - it's easy to find yourself doing 75 without even realizing it!

Cons:

Under powered out of the hole, however, I'd just probably get into trouble if it was any faster. Engine noise when accelerating hard. I really hate the side mirrors that tilt down automatically when shifting to reverse. Floor mats are cheap as well - won't last too long.
Old 08-11-03 | 01:35 PM
eyebike
Driver

You can disable the mirror tilt by moving the mirror selection (L/R) switch to the middle position.
Old 08-12-03 | 10:34 AM
gasjuju
Driver School Candidate

2003 RX300

Pro:
1. Nice ride.
2. Inexpensive.
3. Very well-built and sort of good looking.

Con:
1. At any given time on the CA highway, 1 out of 3 vehicles is a RX300/330.
2. Atrocious gas mileage (duh - it is a SUV, right ) ).
3. A bit barebone for a "luxury" car. Ex: no multi-function steering wheel - what's
up with that? (fortunately, they remedied that in the 330).
Old 08-12-03 | 06:11 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Another thought:
Pro:
Wife wants it.

Con:
I have to drive it. Wanted a BMW 3 Series.

Ours is due in to the dealship on August 15.

Last edited by w4rjd; 08-12-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-13-03 | 07:38 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by w4rjd
Another thought:
Pro:
Wife wants it.

Con:
I have to drive it. Wanted a BMW 3 Series.

Ours is due in to the dealship on August 15.
Hey W4rjd,

Why not get both and have the best of both worlds, since the RX330 would be your wife's car.

RX330 for the wife and BMW 330i for me. She doesn't like the rough ride of the BMW 330i (due to the Sports Package option), but she will love the RX330's nice and easy ride. I love the new RX330, but women love it more, since in general they prefer more comfort over sportiness.

As for the BMW 330i, it's the most fun I've EVER had driving a car. There's no hype to their ultimate driving machine slogan. Truly amazing!
Old 08-14-03 | 04:51 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Originally posted by lexguynj
Hey W4rjd,

Why not get both and have the best of both worlds, since the RX330 would be your wife's car.

RX330 for the wife and BMW 330i for me. She doesn't like the rough ride of the BMW 330i (due to the Sports Package option), but she will love the RX330's nice and easy ride. I love the new RX330, but women love it more, since in general they prefer more comfort over sportiness.

As for the BMW 330i, it's the most fun I've EVER had driving a car. There's no hype to their ultimate driving machine slogan. Truly amazing!
You make a great point, the problem is she drives a BMW 5 series and feels we need a luxury stuff hauler. It is a business thing. The only problem is she will drive the RX about once a year while the BMW is being serviced. I get the RX wich will be very nice.
Old 08-15-03 | 05:51 PM
elowe
Driver School Candidate

2000 RX300 AWD.

Pros,
Lots of luxury feel,
great basic sound system,
easy to drive and great ride without feeling floaty or trucklike,
my wife and I both love it.

Cons,
They are so popular that I see at least 3 or 4 in my 5 mile drive to work,
the new RX330 is out with a hybrid version scheduled for next spring (drool!),
not as fun to drive as my wife's 2002 325i.

My wife and I researched SUVs and the Lexus was "our" choice. Actutally, it was more like my choice, and I drive it the majority of the time. We recently bought a 2002 325i for her, and she LOVES it...

Quick Reply: Why would you buy an RX300/330?