RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sunroof stuck in the tilted open position

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 04:28 PM
owenstrawn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sunroof stuck in the tilted open position

2000 RX300 AWD with about 230k miles.

Today I had the roof open, then closed it when we got to a store. Came back out and it wouldn't slide open, but it would tilt up. Then it ground to a stop and wouldn't close again. The button works and the motor engages, the driver side mechanism wants to move but the passenger side is jammed.

I got the motor off, and I can't move the passenger side cable at all. Can't reach in and move the slide by hand either because though it is fully tilted open there just doesn't seem to be enough room to get any leverage.

Anybody know if this is at all fixable? Would I have to replace the entire roof? I guess I would settle for just getting it closed again.

Thanks,
Owen
Old 04-20-19, 07:44 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried pulling the glass off and looking to see if anything is binding? Carefully pop off the plastic trim on the sides and remove 4-10mm bolts. Carefully remove the glass and you will be able to see the track and parts. I had crushed glass that jammed mine up and I had to use a shop vac in the tracks to vaccuum/blow the glass out to get the new one to open.
The following users liked this post:
owenstrawn (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 08:25 PM
owenstrawn
Driver

Thanks! I will try that in the morning.
Owen
Old 04-20-19, 08:37 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck. The 4 bolts are on the sides of the sunroof. So you will be removing the 2 shorter pieces of trim off of the glass to expose the bolts. Passenger and driver side trim pieces cover the bolts for the glass. They do have clips so be careful you dont break. Each piece is about $30. Ask me how I know
owenstrawn (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 08:41 PM
owenstrawn
Driver

I got the trim off this afternoon. Only broke one of the clips. 8-/
Old 04-21-19, 09:12 AM
owenstrawn
Driver

FWIW, I pulled out 90% of the interior. This was almost completely unneccessary as far as getting the sunroof closed. It turns out my passenger side cable was completely jammed, so first I needed to remove the motor assy. Pry off the maplight lens, unscrew the four screws underneath, and pull out the light/switch module, unplugging the two connectors. Then unscrew the two bolts holding the motor assy and remove it. This reveals the gear driving the cables. Then just as thegrouse said - pull off the two side trims on the sunroof itself, then remove the four bolts and lift the glass off. Then I used a long screwdriver and a mallet to drive the passenger side slide into position. Then reinstall the glass.

Now I get to figure out if the drive cables are replaceable. Or I can just reinstall the interior and never mess with the sunroof again.
thegrouse (04-21-19)
Old 07-25-19, 10:21 AM
owenstrawn
Driver

Dealer wants $3507.75 for new sub assy with cables. Definitely not doing that, and don't know any alternatives. Reinstalled everything except the connector for the motor, and now I don't have a retractable sunroof any more.
Old 09-01-21, 05:09 PM
BenC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix

Originally Posted by owenstrawn
2000 RX300 AWD with about 230k miles.

Today I had the roof open, then closed it when we got to a store. Came back out and it wouldn't slide open, but it would tilt up. Then it ground to a stop and wouldn't close again. The button works and the motor engages, the driver side mechanism wants to move but the passenger side is jammed.

I got the motor off, and I can't move the passenger side cable at all. Can't reach in and move the slide by hand either because though it is fully tilted open there just doesn't seem to be enough room to get any leverage.

Anybody know if this is at all fixable? Would I have to replace the entire roof? I guess I would settle for just getting it closed again.

Thanks,
Owen
Hey..after watching you tube.. I got in turned the key on, press the sunroof button ,it beeped,, and I held it for 3 seconds and bam! Reprogrammed !!!!. If you had the battery disconnected for anyreason..it has to be reprogrammed. I replaced the ac compressor..a month ago..
Old 09-01-21, 05:12 PM
BenC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got in today..Put the key on. Pressed the sunroof button, it beeped, and I held it for 4 seconds and bam it was fixed. First I shut it off then tried it..If you disconnected the battery for any reason it has to be reprogrammed. Good luck.