RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front/Rear Bumper Guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-03, 11:06 AM
RX300wannabeIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front/Rear Bumper Guards

Any of you guys have experience with the Front/Rear Buper guars ("brush guards") like those made by WAAG? I'm thinking about putting a set on my RX but would like some comments first. They are not cheap: about $200 for the rear and about $400 for the front, so if you have some ideas where to get good pricing that would also help!

Also, does anyone have pictures of such accessoires on your RX? I've been searching the web, but very few actually have pictures of what it looks like on a car... Thanks!!!
Old 08-13-03, 08:15 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think there is a member here with a black RX with a front bar.

RickC
Old 08-13-03, 08:30 AM
RickC
Driver

http://www.4by4connection.com/lexus.html

or go to www.google.com and search for "grill guard lexus"
Old 08-13-03, 10:23 AM
Genax1
Driver School Candidate

Default Brush guards

RX300,

I just posted some pictures in the galley of my RX330 with a complete set of GENAX Sport Barz. Take a look and I'm sure you will like them.

The barz for the RX330,LX470 and other high end SUV's are currently being distributed through some New York dealerships as dealer installed options. We are now in the process of making them available nationally as an aftermarket accessory.

They have a black powder coat finish and are covered by a 5 year warranty against rust and material defects. We are also in the final stages of having the ability to custom color them to match the factory colors of any RX330 and stainless steel barz are in the works as I write this.

The RX300 bar is almost complete and will be available shortly. They are similar to the RX330. I hope to speak with you soon.

John
Old 08-13-03, 10:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Clearly this mod is a lot more "form" and less of a "function".

I installed "Jaos" front bar on my RX and it pleases my eyes every time. Stainless Steel on midnight pearl RX ... simple lines, without any cage (that is distracting imho). Years and thousands of miles since installation, no rattle, no rust. Installation required, removal of the front bumper, but no holes to drill and the holes on the bar lined up perfectly.

You can dig out the pic I posted in the RX forum. Granted, the off-road lights are questionable. You make some good decisions and some not so good .... and the wise learn from others.

Salim
Old 08-13-03, 10:22 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Brush guards

Originally posted by Genax1
We are now in the process of making them available nationally as an aftermarket accessory.
Do you have an idea of pricing as an aftermarket accessort yet?
Old 08-14-03, 12:54 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Does anyone know about these from the safety standpoint?

I have read somewhere else that such bumper guards protect the bumper from scratches etc but transmit any shock (in the unfortunate ecentuality of an accident) to the body (where its screwed to) instead of the bumper- thus making it less safe for the occupants inside.

The occupants are more valuable than the bumper. In most cases
Old 08-14-03, 05:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally posted by gsenthil
Does anyone know about these from the safety standpoint?

I have read somewhere else that such bumper guards protect the bumper from scratches etc but transmit any shock (in the unfortunate ecentuality of an accident) to the body (where its screwed to) instead of the bumper- thus making it less safe for the occupants inside.

The occupants are more valuable than the bumper. In most cases
You are so right. I did not realize how accurate I was when I stated "less of function". It truley reduces function.

Salim
Old 08-14-03, 06:44 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

just screw it on real loose so it breaks off in a serious accident, haha
Old 08-14-03, 07:01 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

By the way are these custom or factory tail lights?

Old 08-14-03, 08:58 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

looks like the factory ones...where did you find that pic? I'd like to see what the front of the 330 looks like with a guard.

Last edited by apwoodr; 08-14-03 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-15-03, 10:06 AM
RX300wannabeIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 by WAAG

Found these on WAAG page for the 330... Look really nice imho. I did deside against the full wrap-around grill for my RX300 though: common sence really - even in a small fender-bender instead of having damage to just the fender, the guard might actually damage the hood, the grill, and the lights. I did make up my mind on the rear bumper and the newer "front runner" that WAAG makes - this one covers just the bumper and nothing to wrap around the grill (see the 3rd pic below):

Old 08-15-03, 10:59 AM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

That just looks plain crazy! haha
Old 08-15-03, 12:59 PM
RickC
Driver

Originally posted by apwoodr
looks like the factory ones...where did you find that pic? I'd like to see what the front of the 330 looks like with a guard.
Look at Genax1's gallery like his post says and you will find the pics there.

RickC
Old 08-15-03, 05:09 PM
Genax1
Driver School Candidate

Default Brush Guards

Gentlemen,

The function of the GENAX Sport Barz is not to equip your $35,000 + SUV so you can tear up the back woods off roading. Their function is to provide you with a level of protection against day to day driving and parking situations that often result in damaged bumpers and scratched clearcoat. I am sure many of you have incurred the expense of re painting a bumper or even having to replace the skin entirely. As far as form, and I may be biased, I think they look great.

John

Quick Reply: Front/Rear Bumper Guards