RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rewire fog lights to work independent of low beam status

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 05:28 AM
CHUWANT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewire fog lights to work independent of low beam status

In my 2003 RX300, the fog lamps will not turn on unless the regular beams are lit. To my understanding, and i could check it now, they won't turn on with DRL, parking lights only, or Off mode.

But I've read if people rewiring and modifying the RX309l0 fog lights to allow you to manually flip them on and off regardless of whether or not your low beams are on.

I've searched but come up short, if anybody would please provide guidance or point me towards an existing walkthrough or discussion with instructions.

FWIW i have the factory HID assembly. If this topic no is more suited for RX 1st Gen (99-03) forum, i apologize
Old 06-24-19, 08:09 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Most if not all states have "minimum headlight height" laws. Operation of just the
low height fog lamps got my brother in law pulled over, just a warning...that time.

Besides looking cool the use of just the low level lights makes sense. The light from
a (legal) low beam is nearly at the height of the driver's eyes and the reflection off
the water vapor droplets bounces right back, think how bright the full moon is.
Light from a greater angle away from the driver's eyes is diminished, as in a waning moon.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (06-24-19)
Old 06-24-19, 10:16 AM
CHUWANT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually hoping to have both available and functioning, independent of each other.

Admittedly, i already have disabled my DRLs. Purely on the strength of the appearance (ha). But what i find myself doing is turning on my low beams at all times of day, manually. Flipping to off after i get out every time... Even at night, by back i don't bother with Auto and just have my low beams be on constantly.

I was hoping to utilize the fog lights during the daytime in the same manner that I'm using the low beams right now.

(I know i should, and likely will end up, reconnecting the DRL. Begrudgingly)

In 2019, what solutions exist (if any) for something for my DRL/highs (HB3/9005) that will come close to matching a stock 4300 Phillips xenon (d2r) in my low beam? I understand they receive half the voltage in drl mode and as i understand it, LEDs are unable to dim or be utilized in systems like this that try to feed it two levels of power and brightness. Are there kits in 2019 that allow this or some form of rewiring or modification that did not exist during the time. Of the many threads on this subject?

Or simply if I keep the DRL disabled, regardless of whether or not there are any fog light rewiring modifications as I had inquired in my op, which will have a uniform temperature as the 4300 k low beams albeit brighter since they will be high beams catching the full 12v. And if anybody has good suggestion or experience with those how about 9006 or hb4 bulbs for the fog lights which will match as close as we've been able to achieve with the highs / DRL plus Lows plus fogs?

Maybe somebody can recommend a great match for the three {high beam in high beam state, low beam and fog light} utilizing a 5000k xenon low beam and an assortment of other bulbs whetger all 5000k or not.

I've gotten the impression that people seem to thinka they achieve decent color uniformity with 5000k xenon instead of the stock 4300 k and then sometimes end up running what gets advertised as anywhere from 5000k to 6000k to match. Or 5000k in the highs and frogs in order to match the 4300 que in the Lows. Any RX300 owners wanna chime in, please do!