RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Determine model of rear valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19 | 04:15 AM
OldSurfer
Driver School Candidate

Default Determine model of rear valve cover?

Hi all, just picked up an 01 with 167k. Good and fair on it, not my first wrench.

On going over it, noticed low oil, too soon to know anything, no smoke, great compression, no leaks -- ordered a PCV just because you should do that anyway, read about the 1st and 2nd versions of the rear cover and oil burn challenges.

I read somewhere that Lexus voluntarily went to the straight brass PCV in 01 but the cover still had the poor baffle design, but another thread in here said that brass version was the way to ID if the cover swap had already been done (that the 01 still had the elbow version). Which is correct?

Ours needs the threaded brass. But I suspect I still would be wise to swap the cover, and that straight brass valve is not an indicator it has been done or had the new design..

I don't have a good history on the vehicle, but for the money I plan to run the hell out of it then someday walk away and feel like it was basically free.

Thanks for having me here. Been a member of a lot of vehicle boards. Curious to see what the vibe is here.
Old 08-01-19 | 09:20 AM
salimshah

Welcome to Club Lexus. To every new member, I suggest going through the sticky threads and spend a a few days going over the posts. This helps in adjusting to the tone and tenor of the postings. The members are great as very little moderation/coaching has been required. We are proud of having an enthusiast group which is respectful of other person's views.

The vale cover discussion has evolved over time. 2nd gen valve cover (which requires replumbing) gave some relief but then some have had better result with 3rd gen valve cover. My theory (can be flawed) is it all depends upon age and previous use. If you are parting money then why not go with the third gen and get the PCV for the third gen and do the necessary fitment adjustments. *Note I had no oil burning issue withe my first gen valve cover.

I am always for evidence based determination of problem. Anecdotal has value but it has to be a desperate or last resort option. If you want to go evidence based, place a catch-can in the recovery line.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-01-19 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-01-19 | 03:11 PM
OldSurfer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to Club Lexus. To every new member, I suggest going through the sticky threads and spend a a few days going over the posts. This helps in adjusting to the tone and tenor of the postings. The members are great as very little moderation/coaching has been required. We are proud of having an enthusiast group which is respectful of other person's views.

The vale cover discussion has evolved over time. 2nd gen valve cover (which requires replumbing) gave some relief but then some have had better result with 3rd gen valve cover. My theory (can be flawed) is it all depends upon age and previous use. If you are parting money then why not go with the third gen and get the PCV for the third gen and do the necessary fitment adjustments. *Note I had no oil burning issue withe my first gen valve cover.

I am always for evidence based determination of problem. Anecdotal has value but it has to be a desperate or last resort option. If you want to go evidence based, place a catch-can in the recovery line.

Salim
Yeah this will be a slow learn. No drop in level after a week of driving. Could have just been low, I believe the guy before me used a spill n fill shop, who knows if they even measured.

I assume I am right: The presence of the threaded PCV port is no indication of cover generation.

Probably, if it does seem like it's using oil, I'll pull the cover and clean it and figure out what gen it is that way, do the gaskets, reinstall and watch again. Do the PCV and a couple other minor things now, which will give me a chance to pull that hose and see what I see.

Thanks Salim.
Old 08-01-19 | 10:32 PM
salimshah

There are pictures floating around comparing the innards of the valve covers. If I run into thread or another kind member may post the link.
Early first gen had a push in PCV (no threads).

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-03-19 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-02-19 | 04:02 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-cover-id.html. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...cs-inside.html
The following 2 users liked this post by carguy07:
OldSurfer (08-02-19), salimshah (08-03-19)
Old 08-02-19 | 04:46 AM
OldSurfer
Driver School Candidate

Wow Carguy, that is exactly what I need, thankya very much!