RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Electronic malfuntions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 07:49 AM
Cache8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 Electronic malfuntions

Hello, my '01 RX300 has been slowly acting up more and more for around the past year. Sorry for the long explanation but here goes.

At first, the front passenger door lock stopped locking / unlocking with the electronic switch or with the unlock button on the key fob.

Then, 8/10 times when i try to lock with the electronic key fob, the back doors will not lock either. so now all but the drivers door do not lock with the key fob. But they do unlock.

Now the latest malfuntions...
front passenger side window goes down fine. But if not brought down all the way, when i try to bring it back up, it goes down a little and stops. It continues to do this until down all the way even though im pulling up on the switch. And once down, it will not go back up right away. I have to keep attempting to bring it up with the switch until after anywhere from 5-30 attempts it finally goes up

Also, i started my car and the A/C turned on but the fan was not blowing. I could hear it click but no air came out. I tried turning it of and on a few times and it did not work. Turned the car off and on and it started working again. A very cold fog came out for like 1 second, which i think means it was blowing out the VERY cold stationary air since it was not blowing?...

I can only think this is a computer issue? I CANT EVEN IMAGINE how much this would cost if it is a computer issue...

Its also displaying P0174 & P1150 codes, which i know are "system too lean bank 2 / AF Sensor.

I just got a scanner so I will post freeze frame data (I've seen that you guys usually ask for this) and anything else i can get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-07-19, 08:28 AM
OilMemes
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cache8626
Now the latest malfuntions...
front passenger side window goes down fine. But if not brought down all the way, when i try to bring it back up, it goes down a little and stops. It continues to do this until down all the way even though im pulling up on the switch. And once down, it will not go back up right away. I have to keep attempting to bring it up with the switch until after anywhere from 5-30 attempts it finally goes up
I've had this same issue before. In my case, it was the window electronic switch on the front passenger door that was failing and had to be replaced. (Is a unit together with the power locks switch) Simple procedure. Pry gently around the wood bezel with a flat blade screwdriver from the leather door arm, then disconnect the wiring plug from the bottom.. Careful when pulling it out to unplug, the wiring is not very long. Reverse to re-install. Found on eBay for $89.00
Old 10-07-19, 10:30 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Door lock actuators do go bad due to the motors inside wearing out. There is a thread on how to remove and replace the motor in the actuator. Or you can buy an aftermarket actuator, although those seem to be hit or miss.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html

The window switch module has a large relay which goes bad. I have replaced the relay on the front driver and passenger sides. Although the original realys are no longer available, there are replacement relays available. Or you can by a used switch assembly from ebay, but there is always a risk the relay on that goes bad fairly quickly.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-or-motor.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-12v-nais.html

I have replaced the blower motor as well due to the bearing going bad. it is behind the glove compartment, and I bought aftermarket from Amazon. You might have a relay or blower motor resistor failure as the root cause, but I do not have any experience with those.
Old 10-07-19, 01:14 PM
Cache8626
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will look into both of them. Also, after driving it just now, I have the ABS & VSC lights blinking whenever the car is idling but not while driving. UGH....
I just had a tune up done about 3 months ago and they replaced the park plugs with new platinum ones. Can this "excessive wear" be a fake reading?

Here is the code reader info if its of any help

Old 10-07-19, 06:15 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

The P1150 is a bad air/fuel sensor in bank2, which is the bank at the front of the car. It is likely causing the P0174 code. Buy a Denso 234-9009 (not other brands) and replace it. The sensor is easily accessed and you can try to loosen it before you order the part to make sure you can replace it. I see you live up north, so it might be more difficult to remove. My experience changing it was a piece of cake being a warm weather car, no rust.

When you buy the Denso sensor, only buy from reputable sellers, either local parts stores or Amazon itself. Beware third party sellers on Amazon with very low prices, some have reported poor results and are likely counterfeit.

Here is a thread for both A/F sensors. Scroll down to get to info for bank2.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-sensor-7.html
Old 10-08-19, 06:00 PM
Cache8626
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the info and help. I will take a look at the links and replace the parts.