RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Bad News For Nav Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 08:43 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad News For Nav Update

Found out today from my Lexus svc dept that the new Nav software to be released this October will only have POI updates and NO infrastructure updates.

Last edited by jeffknet; 08-21-03 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 09:38 AM
navigator
Driver School Candidate

Default wrong

actually there are extensive updates to current areas to catch up where new roads, highways etc that have been added or modified, and a 500% gain in POI coverage.
Old 08-22-03, 10:34 AM
eyebike
Driver

Since it's only a very minimal update, does that mean that it might be FREE or at a nominal charge?
It would be nice. Some people were throwing out charges between $3-500 previously.
Old 08-22-03, 10:39 AM
jeffknet
Pole Position

I asked specifically about the Dallas / Ft Worfth area and was told NO infrastructure - meaning no roads. bridges, etc - just points of interest. There are a few major highways that have been constructed since the last software release and I was told they would not be on the software. I'd love an opportunity to spec it first - I hope they're wrong.
Old 08-22-03, 10:44 AM
navigator
Driver School Candidate

Default jeff

what highways specifically? I might be able to check for you.
Old 08-22-03, 03:40 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

This is what it says about the upcoming update from the Lexus-parts.com website:

Lexus is pleased to announce the availability of the CY ’03 update navigation map DVD for dealers to order beginning October 1 2003. The major change to this calendar year’s DVD is the increase in the Points of Interest (P.O.I) from approximately two million P.O.I.s to approximately five million P.O.I.s. Additionally the DVD contains programming to update the operating systems in those vehicle systems requiring it. When contacted by customers or when explaining the benefits of the DVD update to your customers remember that the Lexus system unlike some competitive systems provides nationwide map information as well as information for parts of Canada on one disk. What’s New on the DVD Expanded Points of Interest (P.O.I.) – from approximately 2 million to approximately 5 million
Old 08-22-03, 09:38 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

well I'm certainly intruiged by the promise of the updated operating system, but I'd also like an updated mapping of the highways - at least the major routes

- navigator, specifically do you know if TX HWY 190 (George Bush Tollway) between I-35 and the North Dallas Tollway will be on the new software? What about the Tollway north of Hwy 121 ?? thanks for any insight.
Old 08-23-03, 08:21 AM
navigator
Driver School Candidate

Default texas roads

Jeff,

I'll be able to check next Thursday.

standby
Old 08-24-03, 04:47 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jeffknet
well I'm certainly intruiged by the promise of the updated operating system, but I'd also like an updated mapping of the highways - at least the major routes

- navigator, specifically do you know if TX HWY 190 (George Bush Tollway) between I-35 and the North Dallas Tollway will be on the new software? What about the Tollway north of Hwy 121 ?? thanks for any insight.
Jeffknet,

As an FYI, I also live in the DFW area and have Nav in my MDX. The tollway service road north of 121 is on my DVD system & it hasn't been updated since 10/2001. Acura uses an Alpine system. I am just about to trade my 2001 RX300 (no Nav) for a 2004 RX330 with Nav - so I would be interested in the reply.

I'm also pretty sure Hwy 190 is also on my Acura Nav at least to midway from the tollway. I'll check.