RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Body Cladding/Bumper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 06:05 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Body Cladding/Bumper Covers

I went to Pull-a-Part a couple of days ago and found a 2000 RX in there that donated a few parts. I got the splash/mud guards to replace the broken front ones on my RX, I got all four and just replaced them all because I noticed that the donor RX had the same color paint, (Green Mica), up top but the bottom was a shade darker which got me thinking. I am wondering why my RX is all one color and all the others that I have seen all have the two tone paint? Also, how difficult would it be to change the body cladding and bumper covers? The donor vehicle at Pull-a-Part has body cladding and bumper covers that are really nice and in good condition and I like the two tone look. I am going back this weekend to get a few more parts, looking for a driver's side visor but all 3 RXs that were there were all missing their driver's side visors, why are the driver's side visors always gone but the passenger sides are not? I guess it's something to do with the home link stuff.

Old 01-06-20, 12:39 PM
OilMemes
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First gen RX all came with two tone paint from factory as far as I know. I guess yours has been repainted at some shop since then ( but the entire body as one color rather than to keep the two tone...)

As for the visor, I would think probably it's like how the driver's seat of any old vehicle is normally more worn than the passengers seats. (Driver's seat always occupied and driver visor most frequently used, compared to the others)
Old 01-06-20, 03:35 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I like the RX300 all in one color. I believe it was in 2001 that Lexus offered the ‘Silver Sport’ edition. It came in solid silver or solid black and had black leather! They look a little more modern, especially with the updated tail lamps. Your RX looks great!

The visors tend to get floppy over time, maybe that is why the driver’s side visors are always gone!
Old 01-06-20, 10:50 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Thank you for the replies and the nice comments about my RX. Maybe I will just paint the splash guards to match the vehicle, that would be easier than changing all that cladding and bumper covers. Funny thing, I will spend more money on the correct paint than what I spent on all four splash guards, they were only a little more than five bucks apiece at Pull-a-Part, what a deal!!!! I feel bad for the donor vehicle, it is in such great condition that it's a shame that it ended up in Pull-a-Part to be stripped of useful part . It has a nice wood and leather steering wheel that I would love to get, may also get the front door lock actuators, master control window switch on the driver's door and a window switch for the passenger rear door, oh and the passenger front door speaker as well. Always something to get. There were three RXs at that particular Pull-a-Part and one actually had a full sized spare tire on a factory rim that looked really nice. Lots of really nice parts, makes me think about getting a bunch of stuff and putting it all on ebay!!!
Old 01-06-20, 10:52 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Thank you for the replies and the nice comments about my RX. Maybe I will just paint the splash guards to match the vehicle, that would be easier than changing all that cladding and bumper covers. Funny thing, I will spend more money on the correct paint than what I spent on all four splash guards, they were only a little more than five bucks apiece at Pull-a-Part, what a deal!!!! I feel bad for the donor vehicle, it is in such great condition that it's a shame that it ended up in Pull-a-Part to be stripped of useful part . It has a nice wood and leather steering wheel that I would love to get, may also get the front door lock actuators, master control window switch on the driver's door and a window switch for the passenger rear door, oh and the passenger front door speaker as well. Always something to get. There were three RXs at that particular Pull-a-Part and one actually had a full sized spare tire on a factory rim that looked really nice. Lots of really nice parts, makes me think about getting a bunch of stuff and putting it all on ebay!!!
Old 01-06-20, 10:58 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

These pic were taken last summer after I got the RX home and cleaned it up a little. I guess the single color really does make the old girl look a little more up to date. I think I will keep her a single color after all.
Old 01-08-20, 07:40 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

The drivers side visor is a known issue with these cars. After a few years the friction hold gives up the ghost and the visor either sags or flops down completely on its own. There are a couple of fixes on this forum.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (01-08-20)