RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

No power to the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 02:34 PM
jdbayer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No power to the fuel pump

Alright, I have been trying to figure this thing out for about a month. When I got the vehicle the PO said that they drove it to empty and it died. They put fuel in it and it wouldn't start. I figured it was the fuel pump, so I bought a new one, installed it and it still doesn't start. I busted out my multi-meter and checked the wires coming into the FP and there is no power. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I checked the relays and they are all good. When I put the key in the switch the security light turns off.

I am stumped
Old 02-11-20, 02:43 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbayer
Alright, I have been trying to figure this thing out for about a month. When I got the vehicle the PO said that they drove it to empty and it died. They put fuel in it and it wouldn't start. I figured it was the fuel pump, so I bought a new one, installed it and it still doesn't start. I busted out my multi-meter and checked the wires coming into the FP and there is no power. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I checked the relays and they are all good. When I put the key in the switch the security light turns off.

I am stumped
Which relay and fuses did you check?
There is no FP relay/fuse but there is a C/OPN located by the junction block behind the coin holder.
Check if that relay is getting activated to send power to the pump.
Old 02-11-20, 02:54 PM
jdbayer
Driver School Candidate

I checked the relays under the hood and the ones next to the fuse box in the dash. The relays were all good but I can say I am not hearing the relay activating when I turn the key. I plugged in my code reader and it doesn't show any codes because the PO had disconnected the battery.

I should hear a slight click when the relay activates, correct?
Old 02-11-20, 03:20 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Take down the lower panel on the driver side.
Locate the Circuit Opening Relay (pic)
Locate the BLACK wire with a RED tracer
Key ON should hear it energized.
You should have power here while cranking.
If not, its not energizing, locate a BLACK wire with a WHITE tracer on that same relay.
Find a jump wire and jump those 2 to bypass the relay to run staight power to the pump.
See if it runs.

I just replaced my FP not to long ago so im still familiar with this. lol

Last edited by Nad1370; 02-11-20 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 03:23 PM
jdbayer
Driver School Candidate

Is this a fix or a diagnosis tool?
Old 02-11-20, 03:27 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Is this a fix or a diagnosis tool?
It's to diag to where you are missing power to the pump.
Once you figured out where the power is dropped off, we can fix it from there.
Old 02-11-20, 03:31 PM
jdbayer
Driver School Candidate

Rock on. I just checked the oil and it doesn't show up on the stick. So I am going to pick up some oil before I get this thing started. The PO said he had just gotten a tune up but I don't think they did the oil. From what I have read this could cause the vehicle to not start too.
Old 02-11-20, 03:36 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Rock on. I just checked the oil and it doesn't show up on the stick. So I am going to pick up some oil before I get this thing started. The PO said he had just gotten a tune up but I don't think they did the oil. From what I have read this could cause the vehicle to not start too.

None of those would kill power to the pump.
Might as well tell us the back story before this issue.
I.m just going by your post here.
Old 02-11-20, 03:41 PM
jdbayer
Driver School Candidate

I have told you all the information I have on this vehicle. The PO said it drove till empty, they added gas and it hasn't started since. They had gotten a tune up about a month before this issue. I have changed the fuel pump and checked all the fuses/relays. I have my ear next to the fuse box, turn the key and don't hear the relay activate.
Old 02-11-20, 04:04 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

I didnt know you had an earlier thread.

But since you're still having this issue, lets start by checking that C/OPN relay if its getting the proper power/ground to energize.

Again, take the lower panel off.
You mentioned you have a meter right?
Do the checks i advised and we'll go forward with the info you got on those checks.
Old 02-11-20, 04:05 PM
jdbayer
Driver School Candidate

OK. I will do it when I get home.
Old 02-11-20, 04:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

jd, low oil/no-oil would have no impact on power to the fuel pump. The oil issue can and will impact the lubrication -> ca ruin the engine etc.

There is a safety override in all vehicles, which kills the fuel pump when it senses the engine is not running. This is done to prevent fuel to be pumped out when the vehicle is in severe accident. I am not sure how it is done in RX [you may need wiring manual] or a quick visit to the dealer. Maybe some member can share better insight.

Salim
Old 02-12-20, 06:17 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
jd, low oil/no-oil would have no impact on power to the fuel pump. The oil issue can and will impact the lubrication -> ca ruin the engine etc.

There is a safety override in all vehicles, which kills the fuel pump when it senses the engine is not running. This is done to prevent fuel to be pumped out when the vehicle is in severe accident. I am not sure how it is done in RX [you may need wiring manual] or a quick visit to the dealer. Maybe some member can share better insight.

Salim
Most manufacture monitors the engine RPM to tell if it is running or not. No RPM tells the ECU that the engine has stop running and to cut off the the signal to the FP relay.

The FP will run when you cycle the key to on-off but only for a couple of seconds to prime the system and build up the fuel pressure.
Old 02-12-20, 08:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

I am guessing here that the stuff we are taking about is on the primary side of the relay. So OP should check the primary side of the relay to see if has 12v.

Salim
Old 02-13-20, 07:15 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Hi jdbayer, please follow up and let us know if you figure it out.

Quick Reply: No power to the fuel pump