RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Found after market android radios air con etc for rx300

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 05:38 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k1rx300
Hi Jonah. Appreciate the info. When say you lost maintenance information, did also lose mpg? Or km per liter? I'm seriously considering this as it looks so awesome.

Thanks
Yes, no mpg that I can find.
But probably easy to get with Bluetooth OBD thingy and app
Old 06-19-22, 06:54 AM
mhay
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the persons who bought these a year or two ago, how are they holding up? I am thinking of getting one as my screen is damaged, it has several lines running through it and is quite dim.

I am thinking of getting the smaller screen that keeps the original control *****.
Old 06-19-22, 07:02 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mhay
For the persons who bought these a year or two ago, how are they holding up? I am thinking of getting one as my screen is damaged, it has several lines running through it and is quite dim.

I am thinking of getting the smaller screen that keeps the original control *****.
So far, so good (I've got the big screen version)

Cheers,
Johan
The following users liked this post:
mhay (06-21-22)
Old 02-25-23, 02:58 PM
BigCahuna
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanH
But you're losing climate control and various other readouts, which for me would be too much of an inconvenience.
I'm seriously considering the previous one with the 10.1" screen.
I contacted the seller and they assured me that it would be plug and play for my car.
Just hoping I won't be a beta tester

Edit: ordered one, will report back
How much cutting to the wires did you have to do? I'm guessing it wasn't 100% plug and play?
Old 02-25-23, 10:54 PM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
How much cutting to the wires did you have to do? I'm guessing it wasn't 100% plug and play?
No wire cutting required as far as I can remember
Old 02-26-23, 01:07 AM
BigCahuna
2nd gear

Originally Posted by JohanH
No wire cutting required as far as I can remember
How is the stereo hanging in there? Do you still have it? Any issues?
Old 02-26-23, 02:17 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Yep, still have it. Works as intended
Old 10-16-23, 08:35 AM
mhay
Rookie

My radio died in my Harrier and I ended up buying one of these late last year (10.1" screen). Due to lack of time I didn't get around to installing it until about May this year. I had various issue that ended up being due to a ground disapperaing and also due to the factory JBL amplifier (located under the dash on the driver's side, not around the back like in the RX300). I ended up bypassing the amplifier and running the speaker outputs from the radio directly to the speakers. It sounds OK, but I am no audiophile.

Overall, it is a nice interior upgrade and I am pleased with it.I still have the GPS antenna, reverse cam, hands free mic etc. to install. Not sure I will be bothered with all of that as I never had any of it from factory. The reverse cam will be the most useful to me, but also the most difficult to install by far. To do it properly will need a lot of removal of trim pieces that will likely have brittle clips from nearly 30 years of age. I might be more tempted if I find a good how to. will search on here.
ddoxey (05-27-24)
Old 10-16-23, 08:38 AM
mhay
Rookie

Has anyone used one of the OBD Bluetooth adapters to get trouble codes and engine operating parameters on to the android screen?
Old 01-28-24, 05:28 PM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wife wanted a new vehicle since her RX300 is already 25 yrs old . The RX300 works excellent and is only ~144k+ miles. Well, I bought her the following instead:

She can't be happier. This is an excellent upgrade. It just extended the life of the vehicle by another 5 yrs at least.
ddoxey (05-27-24)
Old 01-28-24, 06:03 PM
salimshah

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by LastQuark
Wife wanted a new vehicle since her RX300 is already 25 yrs old . The RX300 works excellent and is only ~144k+ miles. Well, I bought her the following instead:

She can't be happier. This is an excellent upgrade. It just extended the life of the vehicle by another 5 yrs at least.
Please share make model and installation details. Was it self installed? Also was it plug and play?

Salim
Old 01-28-24, 07:05 PM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

It was self-installed. It's plug and play. All wire harness is provided. There is no wire harness to modify or cut. Only 3 wires from the backup camera needs to be stripped off to tap to the reverse wire in one of the harness; and positive and negative wires of tail light. I purchased it from here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256803894628899.html

You can find one cheaper here with minor differences. For example, Android 12 vs 13 not that it makes any difference. They were out of stock when I was ready with the purchase:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800983721387.html

I got the 8GB+128GB with front camera DVR, rear backup camera, and paid extra for TPMS and USB hub. There is no installation instruction provided but it is easy to figure out. There was only 1 instance where I have to message customer support because the climate control didn't work. They created a step-by-step procedure in setting up the climate control app complete with photos just for me. It turns out I didn't install the 2nd CANBUS provided that says "RX330". Customer support is excellent. I got reply in minutes.

Overall. it was easy install. Just plug whatever plug matches.
The following 3 users liked this post by LastQuark:
ddoxey (05-27-24), maxSteel (01-29-24), salimshah (01-28-24)
Old 01-29-24, 10:48 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LastQuark
It was self-installed. It's plug and play. All wire harness is provided. There is no wire harness to modify or cut. Only 3 wires from the backup camera needs to be stripped off to tap to the reverse wire in one of the harness; and positive and negative wires of tail light. I purchased it from here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256803894628899.html

You can find one cheaper here with minor differences. For example, Android 12 vs 13 not that it makes any difference. They were out of stock when I was ready with the purchase:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800983721387.html

I got the 8GB+128GB with front camera DVR, rear backup camera, and paid extra for TPMS and USB hub. There is no installation instruction provided but it is easy to figure out. There was only 1 instance where I have to message customer support because the climate control didn't work. They created a step-by-step procedure in setting up the climate control app complete with photos just for me. It turns out I didn't install the 2nd CANBUS provided that says "RX330". Customer support is excellent. I got reply in minutes.

Overall. it was easy install. Just plug whatever plug matches.
Wow at that price I'm tempted. Any operational issue?

Old 01-29-24, 11:52 AM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Wow at that price I'm tempted. Any operational issue?
So far I have not experienced any operational issue. BT, WiFi, GPS, wireless Carplay, DVR, radio, DSP, TPMS, and rear backup camera works. The Android eco system is now quite large. There are various apps that can be sideloaded - new theme, better UI, more features, etc. The only thing I am missing is the mpg. I can see km/l on the provided app but have not found a way to convert that to mpg. I'm sure there are other apps that can do that but I have not delved to that yet.

I only got ~200 miles on it. I cannot speak of reliability yet.

maxSteel (01-29-24)
Old 05-27-24, 11:31 AM
ddoxey
10th Gear

I am currently working on installing one of these.

Android for RX300 install in progress

The problem I'm trying to overcome; the climate control controls. The mode control works a little bit, but not really. And there seems to be no ability to toggle the recirculate function. I don't see any way to toggle the AC on/off either.

Android AC controls
The fan speed selectors work, and the temp up/down controls work.
I don't know what the up/down control on the left edge controls. It doesn't seem to do anything.
The circle / triangle on the extreme right appears to affect the mode selection -- but not reliably, or completely.

I contacted the eBay vendor. His first remark was that I should find someone with more experience to install it. Nice. But he did also provide some additional information which didn't come included with the device. While informative, it confirmed that I was indeed plugging it in correctly and that the CAN settings were correct, for Toyota RX300 "High"

Anyhow, if anyone with more experience has any helpful suggestions, I will be very grateful.

Quick Reply: Found after market android radios air con etc for rx300