RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

clock resets then battery dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 06:07 AM
barouk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clock resets then battery dies

I have a resetting problem on 2000 rx300. put new battery in twice in 1 year. had all test and everything was good for 5 months. then resetting started. eventually battery went. has to be something other than battery. any ideas

Last edited by barouk; 04-06-20 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 09:21 AM
OilMemes
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by barouk
... put new battery in twice in 1 year...
Did the same problem happen twice, or the battery was replaced the first time just due to its age / another reason?

... had all test and everything was good for 5 months...
What mean by "all test": did just the battery get test, or both battery and alternator? If battery is good and alternator is on the way out, that could cause gradual decline of battery charge.

... then resetting started. eventually battery went. has to be something other than battery. any ideas
It's very common on RX that the clock goes back to 1:00am each time the car is started, if the battery charge is declining. Happened to me many times.
I suggest test on both battery and alternator, if you did not do so already.
In case that is not the situation, you may have "Parasitic draw" on your hands which is draining battery while parked. You can find many threads on this and how to diagnose if you use search function. Another concern: Have you got any aftermarked accessory on this vehicle (e.g. Alarm system) which is operational while the engine is off?

The following users liked this post:
salimshah (04-06-20)
Old 04-06-20, 09:27 AM
barouk
Driver School Candidate

2 new batteries died. had electrical tests done 2 months after new battery installed and showed nothing. alternator is good. it has a alarm system but never worked since day i purchased it used. new here so i do i find threads on parasite because that is what it must be? THANKS for your help
Old 04-06-20, 09:42 AM
barouk
Driver School Candidate

just saw that door actuator problem could cause draw. this battery trouble started when my power door locks went out. is there a fuse i can pull. don't use power door locks in almost 2 years now
Old 04-06-20, 10:21 AM
OilMemes
Driver

That is actually a good idea to try and see if that is the cause.
According to Owner's manual, Power locks system is powered by a 20-Ampere Fuse #8, in the fuse box located in Engine compartment (Driver's side).
P.S. List of threads when search "Parasitic draw": https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...rchid=22083411
Edit: there is another 15-Ampere fuse in the fuse box located inside by the steering wheel, Fuse #24, which also powers the Power locks system, but that circuit also supplies the Cigarette lighter port and the outside mirrors. In addition, there are 20-Ampere fuses (Fuses #25, 31, 32) for the individual locks on the Rear Driver door, the Rear Pass. door, and the Front Pass. door, however they appear to feed to the power windows as well. Hope you got a Multi meter. Best of luck

Last edited by OilMemes; 04-06-20 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add more fuse information
Old 04-06-20, 10:24 AM
barouk
Driver School Candidate

THANKS Going to a friend who has a repair shop and he will disarm and check.
Old 04-06-20, 10:35 AM
OilMemes
Driver

Glad to help! If it will be of any use for the troubleshooting, I am attaching the pages from Owner's manual which describes the fuses and their locations
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (04-06-20)