RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Vibrating/jerking when shifting at standstill, now won't engage in reverse..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 08:31 AM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibrating/jerking when shifting at standstill, now won't engage in reverse..

Hello all,

I bought a 2003 RX300 with 110k from a lady a back in February and overall a very nice car. I've put a total of 2,000 miles on the car with no issues until two days ago when I was driving and pulled into a parking spot then shifted into park. When shifting into park, the car began to vibrate/jerk almost like pulsing aggressively. I initially thought it was a misfire, however there was no CEL and I replaced spark plugs and wires at Lexus two months ago.

Over the last two months, I have noticed when shifting from park into Drive, there is a delay int he engagement and there is a jerk when it engages into drive. Never really thought anything of it, and figured it was just an older car.

It is clearly the transmission at this point. This morning, I was pulling into my parking garage and when shifting into reverse to back into a spot, it started the jerking/pulsing feeling again and the reverse gear would not engage. Shifted back into drive and everything was normal. Shifted again into reverse and it almost limped backwards very slowly.

I have been planning on having the transmission flushed with proper Toyota fluid, does anyone know if this is a common issue or symptom of anything serious? Curious if this may be a fluid issue, alternator (Which has given signs of going low) or the transmission needing rebuilt itself.
Old 05-31-20, 03:22 PM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any similar situation? I know the transmissions are weak in these.

before I start throwing parts at it, I wanted to get an idea of if someone has experienced this shaking, shuttering at a stop.

(car shifts normal when driving) just shakes when putting in park. And kept going in reverse when in park. Had to move it out, then back into park to engage.

Curious if I should try a flush or if the trans is actually toast at this point.

any thoughts or help is appreciated!
Old 06-02-20, 01:36 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Throwing parts is a desperate act.

Please have it diagnosed.

What anybody can do at home is check the transmission fluid level and condition (if you see silver gray particles that means something is broken inside).

Then there are rudimentary checks ... like observing the gear shift indicator in the dash and matching them with the gear position (stick). This can confirm if the linkage is broken. The other is 'feel' of the shifter. Totally subjective, but regular driver can tell if things are abnormal.

Other things that matter are
Engine idle speed (cold and warm).
Battery + charging system condition .. there is so much that runs off the battery.

Salim.